[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DeMarco Murray out of title game

Sgt Ryan

NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma Sooners running back DeMarco Murray will have surgery to address a partial rupture of his left hamstring tendon and will not play in the FedEx BCS National Championship Game against Florida Gators on Jan. 8.

Murray, the Sooners' second-leading rusher, was injured on the opening kickoff of the Big 12 Championship Game on Dec. 6. The Sooners initially thought Murray had sustained a bruise, but an MRI revealed the injury to be more serious. Surgery has been scheduled for Dec. 22., the university said.

The school said that according to head trainer Scott Anderson, it will be about five months before Murray is cleared to resume training.

Murray gained 1,002 yards rushing this season, just eight fewer than team rushing leader Chris Brown. He led the Sooners in all-purpose yards with 2,171, with 395 receiving yards and another 774 yards in kickoff returns, scoring 18 touchdowns.

"Obviously we're very disappointed for DeMarco," said Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops. "He has been an important part of our success this year and we will miss his contributions. DeMarco has had an incredible year. "

"With Chris Brown and Mossis Madu, we still have two very fine backs. Our team has a lot of confidence in their abilities."

Edited by Sgt Ryan

NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma Sooners running back DeMarco Murray will have surgery to address a partial rupture of his left hamstring tendon and will not play in the FedEx BCS National Championship Game against Florida Gators on Jan. 8.

Murray, the Sooners' second-leading rusher, was injured on the opening kickoff of the Big 12 Championship Game on Dec. 6. The Sooners initially thought Murray had sustained a bruise, but an MRI revealed the injury to be more serious. Surgery has been scheduled for Dec. 22., the university said.

The school said that according to head trainer Scott Anderson, it will be about five months before Murray is cleared to resume training.

Murray gained 1,002 yards rushing this season, just eight fewer than team rushing leader Chris Brown. He led the Sooners in all-purpose yards with 2,171, with 395 receiving yards and another 774 yards in kickoff returns, scoring 18 touchdowns.

"Obviously we're very disappointed for DeMarco," said Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops. "He has been an important part of our success this year and we will miss his contributions. DeMarco has had an incredible year. "

"With Chris Brown and Mossis Madu, we still have two very fine backs. Our team has a lot of confidence in their abilities."

Sarge,

After following all of your comments over the last few years regarding the previous Sooner's losses, I assume this post is meant as a prelude to your inevitable whining and excuses that will follow the BCS championship game, i.e "I told you guys way back when that Murray's absence would cause us to change our entire running philosophy. I told ya! I told ya! If we'd had all of our horses available, well, we would've stomped those Gators! Just stomped 'em I tell ya!" I've seen these type of comments after each and every loss by your beloved Norman boys.

Edit to add: Before you go all nuts and start calling me names and trying to label me a noob as I see you do quite often, don't bother. I've been around awhile on the boards and I think your blind homerism is quite entertaining and admirable in the end. I really don't have a dog in this fight as I dislike Florida and have grown to cheer against OU simply to see your unrelented crying on the boards the next day.

Just making an observation

Edited by The Hitter

Losing a RB has minimal impact on a college football game. Much different than losing a QB.

Let the excuses begin :wacko:

No excuses here. But Murray is much more than a RB for this offense. He is a mismatch out of the backfield when he goes in motion, and their most explosive playmaker at the position. Harvin means less to the FLA offense than Murray does to OU's. Murray was their leading rusher going into last weeks title game. He is their biggest threat out of the backfield receving, and creates mismatches on opposing LBs or safeties when he lines up in the slot. Plus he is their kickoff return man, and is 3rd in the nation in total yards. No matter what you think of the Sooners, few teams can lose this much in one player and not miss him. Especially in a game where the other team has a month to prepare.

Im not conceding the title to FLA, but this latest news will change the Sooners game plan, and makes them less dimensional than they are with him. Murray is a huge reason they scored as much as they did. Hell he had a ho hum 18 TDs alone.

Im not making excuses, as I still think OU will win the game.

No excuses here. But Murray is much more than a RB for this offense. He is a mismatch out of the backfield when he goes in motion, and their most explosive playmaker at the position. Harvin means less to the FLA offense than Murray does to OU's. Murray was their leading rusher going into last weeks title game. He is their biggest threat out of the backfield receving, and creates mismatches on opposing LBs or safeties when he lines up in the slot. Plus he is their kickoff return man, and is 3rd in the nation in total yards. No matter what you think of the Sooners, few teams can lose this much in one player and not miss him. Especially in a game where the other team has a month to prepare.

Im not conceding the title to FLA, but this latest news will change the Sooners game plan, and makes them less dimensional than they are with him. Murray is a huge reason they scored as much as they did. Hell he had a ho hum 18 TDs alone.

Im not making excuses, as I still think OU will win the game.

I'll make a deal with you. If Florida wins, you can go on and on about how there is no question that OU was the better team and if Murray had not been injured, OU would have won easily.

If OU wins, I get to blather on about how if we had not lost our offensive coordinator a week after winning the SEC Championship game we would have stomped a mudhole in OU as the distraction it caused ruined Florida's chances.

Deal?

Big 12 LB's maybe .... Not Florida LB's ..... Huge difference.

Yea, there are FLA LBs running a 4.3 4.4 40. You are such a freakin tool. Just clueless.

Whats sad is we wont ever know for sure. If OU runs over FLA, then it will prove not to matter. But without Murray we wont know for sure unless the Sooners win.

Edited by Sgt Ryan

Yea, there are FLA LBs running a 4.3 4.4 40. You are such a freakin tool. Just clueless.

Whats sad is we wont ever know for sure. If OU runs over FLA, then it will prove not to matter. But without Murray we wont know for sure unless the Sooners win.

this sounds familiar.....................

oh yeah, that's right- yer long lost step-brother TOS and other Buckeye homers had the exact same excuses heading into the OSU USC game.

let the record show you are going into this game with no excuses and you expect OU to win.

gonna go out on a limb here, but me thinks FLA beats OU by double digits and you come in here whining like a schoolgirl about Murray- possible?

Edited by wildcat2334

this sounds familiar.....................

oh yeah, that's right- yer long lost step-brother TOS and other Buckeye homers had the exact same excuses heading into the OSU USC game.

let the record show you are going into this game with no excuses and you expect OU to win.

gonna go out on a limb here, but me thinks FLA beats OU by double digits and you come in here whining like a schoolgirl about Murray- possible?

And if OU beats FLA, it will prove that Texas should have been here instead of FLA.

I knew I shouldnt have posted this news. Seriously, if this was Tebow, all you and then when I wore my first dressers would be crying about it, saying this is why OU is going to win. I posted this because it was news, and I made no excuses. I still think OU is better even without Murray and think they will win. But to hear some say Murray wont be missed is pure ignorance. I think Im done here.

Edited by Sgt Ryan

This is an odd statement coming from you. I guess you've discounted Tech since the 3-way BS tie breaker the Big 12 has worked in your favor, otherwise you'd be crying for Tech over Texas.

Not in the least, Ive said it all along I think Texas and OU are teh top 2 teams in the country. Ive also argued a way of breaking a tie, in a 3 way situation need not include head to head and Texas was passed by FLA in the Final BCS because of what. They played a weaker schedule, had fewer quality wins, a huge loss compared to that of Texas. The list goes on and on. OU and Texas did more on the field to deserve to be in that title game than FLA, but FLA is cinderella this yr, and Texas and Tech for that matter both got screwed.

Not in the least, Ive said it all along I think Texas and OU are teh top 2 teams in the country. Ive also argued a way of breaking a tie, in a 3 way situation need not include head to head and Texas was passed by FLA in the Final BCS because of what. They played a weaker schedule, had fewer quality wins, a huge loss compared to that of Texas. The list goes on and on. OU and Texas did more on the field to deserve to be in that title game than FLA, but FLA is cinderella this yr, and Texas and Tech for that matter both got screwed.

Sarge, you're sounding more and more like a Big Ten fan. Remember how silly the Gators made them look. :wacko:

Are you comparing OU to the Big 10. Seriously? :wacko:

I'm comparing you to a Big Ten fan because you think no other conference champion deserves to play in the BCS NC.

I could understand if you were for an all SEC BCS NC because the SEC has earned their reputation as a superior BCS Bowl conference. Big 12 on the other hand has sucked in comparison.

Conference overall BCS Bowl Records

SEC Record 11-4 .(733 winning percentage)

Big 12 Record 6-8 (.429 winning percentage)

Conference Records in the BCS National Championship Game

SEC Record 4-0 (1.000 winning percentage)

Big 12 Record 2-3 (.400 winning percentage))

Edited by Rockerbraves

Yes they did. Now how did last year's SEC elite teams do in the BCS bowls?

Sorry, as a Michigan fan I have only one college football memory spanning the last few years and that is Michigan's victory over Florida in Lloyd Carr's final game. I don't even think Michigan fielded a team this year, did they?

Wait, wait, I seem to remember some games where the Buckeye's lost. Yeah, I remember those pretty well, too.

Everything else is foggy.

And if OU beats FLA, it will prove that Texas should have been here instead of FLA.
This is an odd statement coming from you. I guess you've discounted Tech since the 3-way BS tie breaker the Big 12 has worked in your favor, otherwise you'd be crying for Tech over Texas.

Funny, that's not how I read that at all. I read, that Texas is the only team to beat OU and since OU is in the big game then Texas should be too. Which of course could very well mean that Texas deserves to be there more than OU. There was something later in this thread about doing more on the field...

As for Murray, he's a big part of the OU attack and if anyone thinks his absense will not hurt, at least a little, the OU game then they're not paying attention. But then again Florida beat Bama without Harvin so I guess if you're really good then a player here or there shouldn't be too much of a problem. Of course, Sgt, the Tebow remark was ludicrous to say the least. Bradford means much more to OU than Murray and if they lost him they'd be in hugh trouble. Tebow is even more valuable to the Gator O than Bradford is to OU.

• 2 weeks later...

OK rocker since you are a hat kinda guy..................

LSU Nat champs BCS or not................3

115 years of FB, 1131 games 701 wins, 383 loses, 47 ties %.64058

OU nat champs BCS or not...............7

114 yrs of FB, 1140 games, 789 wins, 298 loses, 53 ties, % .71535

Now go stick your head back under the rock you crawled out form under!!!

Best win % in CFB!

Even with the recent bowl game blunders.