[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Charles Barkley Comments

Rockerbraves

Barkley said he would assist in the Auburn basketball coach search, but only if the school agreed to hire a black coach. He was relieved of his position on the recruitment team. So... we know Barkley puts race in front of other considerations. That does not mean that Auburn did not discriminate against Gill however, it just postions Barkley as a man who puts race before other considerations.

The fact that Auburn knows Chizik, as he was the DC at Auburn in 2004 when they went 13-0. He was also the co- DC at Texas when the won the national championship in 2005. It's not like Auburn went out and just took a HC who failed at Iowa for two years... he has a history as well.

This might be a bad analogy, but if I am searching for an employee, and the choice is between a guy who once worked for me and was very successful, vs another guy who [possibly might/i] be a better choice, but is also a guy who never worked for a large company (Mac and Buffalo vs a guy with experince in big time programs) I would have a serious bias towards that guy that worked for me and was successful. He comes in as a known, vs an unknown that may or may not be able to handle the jump from a school like Buffalo to Auburn.

Gill knows how to recruit... in upstate NY. Chizik had to use the players the previous regime at Iowa left him. I have to think Chizik would be a better recruiter in AL than Gill would be.

Gill is a MUCH better fit for Syracuse. At Syracuse, he would get almost every single prospect out of NY, CT, big chunks of OH and PA too. If I'm Auburn, I know it's as much about recruitment a anything else. Which coach would be more effective in Alabama? A guy with a history in TX and AL, or a guy from upstate NY?

Was discrimination part of Auburn's decision? We'll never know, but Barkely's knee jerk reaction is very predictable. Let Barkley talk about recruiting, and how the program would benefit from a small school HC like Gill vs a guy who already has done plenty of recruiting for Auburn. Barkley sees everything as a black-white issue. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't, but when you blame it on that all the time... the boy that cried wolf. Gill deserves a chance. His best chance is Syracuse.

Now, if Syracuse passes on Gill, THAT would be a travesty. THEN Barkley would have an arguement IMO. Gill is a perfect fot for Syracuse.

Barkley is one of the most racist people on the planet. Im sick of him, and I have no idea why he gets away with spewing race is every issue why a black man doesnt get every job. Hell we just elected a black president. The American People elected him, so its much bigger than just 1 person making a decision like this Auburn situation.

Auburn is stupid for letting Tuberville get away, but then they were flirting with finding a replacement coach for him years ago behind his back, so this is just par for the course for that program.

Personally, Id like to see more black head coaches, as its obvious there are not enough already. But to cry wolf every time one gets passed up is ignorant as well.

Barkley is running his mouth a bit too much these days, but for the most part he makes some very valid points and I give him props for a) being passionate about his alma mater and :wacko: fighting for african americans that are getting passed over constantly in football.

Private calling him racist is laughable - there is ahugh difference in fighting for his ethnicity in an issue that is obviously important to him and being "racist" you realize his wife is white ??

dude is outspoken, and right or wrong, as a black former athlete I admire that. Everyone is too PC - Tiger? Jordan? please. No one says the things Charles says- but you know they all want to.

Maybe Gill was more qualified, maybe he wasn't, we will know eventually but it is pretty apparent Gill can coach - Chizik, ehh not so much, time will tell

he does need to pick his spots better, but I admire Charles for voicing his opinion on something he feels strongly about, and I am sure donates quite a lot of $$ to Auburn, so he has every right.

He loses me when he says it's not about race, but in the same breath says Auburn should hire a black head coach.

I will say this, the lack of African American Head coaches in college football is absurd. And on a side note, as an Iowa fan, I do find it amusing that Turner Gill won't leave Buffalo for the Iowa State job. Hopefully he does land somewhere soon. Lets not forget, Buffalo was one of the worst programs around, and Gill has them winning the MAC? Amazing job in a tough spot.

If every other word out of your mouth is race, and you are crying about race all the time that is saying your race is superior and should be given everything and is racist. What man wouldnt want a white wife. Seriously. So that doesnt hold any water with me.

We just elected a black president, this country is moving closer and closer to equality. And if Barkley had it his way, the white man would all be poor, we would be slaves, and blacks would run eveyrthing. So dont kid yourself this man isnt racist. Anyone ever think racism in this country would be closer to being gone if we didnt have Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and now Charles Barkley. They are a disgrace to their cause. and if there was NWCP or Miss White America, or WET - White Entertainment Televison these tools would go bizerk. But there is the NAACP, Miss Black America, and Black Entertainment Television and we dont say a damn word about it.