[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2004 White Burgundy

detlef

I'm being inundated with deals on 2004 White Burgs. I have absolutely no idea where they're coming from or where they've been hiding up until now. Some, admittedly have been in very small amounts, but others I'm told my distributor is sitting on half pallets.

Thing is, they're f'ing delicious. 2005 got all the praise and the '04 reds are a bit lean for some. However, the whites are classic. Not as big as the '05s but exactly what one should look for in White Burgundy. Also, they've aged just enough to shed their baby fat, so they're right in the wheel house. Not, "right in the wheel house" as in, about to go over the edge. Right in the wheel house as in, smack dab in the middle of their peak. I wouldn't put them down on purpose, but I wouldn't freak out if it took another year or two to get through them.

Here's a short list of what I've picked up...

I'm running the Faiveley Bourg Blanc by the glass and am getting it at $10 a bottle

I just opened an Olivier LeFlaive Puligny Montrachet that set me back all of $17 and it is absolutely perfect.

Also just picked up some Louis Michel Chablis Grand Cru Vaudesir for $28 that I haven't gotten into yet and there were others that I've passed on because I can only take on so much.

I guess the moral of the story is. If this is happening in your market. If your local wine shop suddenly has some 2004 White Burgs on the shelf for a surprisingly low price? Buy with confidence. There's little reason to think that you won't be rewarded with a very tasty bottle of wine.

OK, so I tried the Michel Vaudesir Grand Cru Chablis 2004. Pretty much nails. There's a supple richness about high end Chablis that is unlike anything else. Not big and rich or with any fat at all. It's this pristine nectar sort of richness. Kind of of hard to describe.

None the less, there's a bunch more where that came from, fortunately, so at $28, I'm going deep.

• 2 weeks later...