[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Tex goes to the Evil Empire

darin3

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And to boot, they'll likely be the ones to ink Man-Ram.

AND...... read this nugget at the end of this piece:

The agreement with Teixeira gives New York the four highest-paid players in baseball -- third baseman Alex Rodriguez, shortstop Derek Jeter, Sabathia and Teixeira.

:wacko:

:wacko: After the Yanks missing the playoffs, I am not surprised that the reigning Steinbrenner went loco.

How is it loco? Do you think this lineup won't sell tickets? Are you the Marlins pres in disguise?

And doesn't more luxury tax paid by New York mean more free handouts to your podunk team?

Edited by SheikYerbuti

How is it loco? Do you think this lineup won't sell tickets? Are you the Marlins pres in disguise?

And doesn't more luxury tax paid by New York mean more free handouts to your podunk team?

Of course it's not loco. It makes perfect sense since the Yanks are the best at buying championships.

And by "podunk team", do you mean the Red Sox, the winners of two of the past five championships? :wacko:

.... and yes, before you go there, I know the Sox also go bananas with buying their way in, but this is simply ridiculous.

I don't think they are yet at the point of "more" luxury tax. Although they'll probably get there.

I think the 2009 salaries of Tex, CC, Burnett and Swisher aren't too much more than what Mussina/Pavano/Giambi and Abreu made in 2008.

If that's the case, it ain't loco. . .it's brilliant. Hugh upgrades all around. Well, except Pavano. He's irreplaceable.

why even play a season ??

just mail a check to the commissioner and buy the trophy ..thats the only way the yankees can win anyway

Baseball needs a Cap in the worst way

Edited by isleseeya

Of course it's not loco. It makes perfect sense since the Yanks are the best at buying championships.

And by "podunk team", do you mean the Red Sox, the winners of two of the past five championships? :wacko:

.... and yes, before you go there, I know the Sox also go bananas with buying their way in, but this is simply ridiculous.

Curious where you get that? The Yankees have been terrible at buying championships. Ever since 2002, when they brought in Mussina and Giambi and really expanded the payroll, they haven't gotten anything.

The only team that truly bought a title was the 2004 Red Sox. I'm not sure they had 2 home grown players on their playoff roster... but I realize that's not the point.

why even play a season ??

just mail a check to the commissioner and buy the trophy ..thats the only way the yankees can win anyway

Baseball needs a Cap in the worst way

Are you a communist?

No, what's funny is the implication that the Yankees "buy" championships. How's that working out for them?

They bought a few in late 90's and they keep trying to buy more ...always looking to throw that cash around at a staggering pace ...no other sport operates in this fashion because they can't ( thanks to Salary caps )

Use your brain, Shiekie :D

in this case loco simply means went on a spending craze, which is what Steinbrenners are genetically programmed to do when the Yanks lose :wacko:

As a life long fan of one of the other frequently guilty of overspending teams (Red Sox), I think what the big market teams to is absurd. I would much rather see a salary cap in MLB.

Curious where you get that? The Yankees have been terrible at buying championships. Ever since 2002, when they brought in Mussina and Giambi and really expanded the payroll, they haven't gotten anything.

The only team that truly bought a title was the 2004 Red Sox. I'm not sure they had 2 home grown players on their playoff roster... but I realize that's not the point.

No, what's funny is the implication that the Yankees "buy" championships. How's that working out for them?

Oh sorry, I should have been more specific. They're not as good as doing this as they were in the past. Sorry. My bad.

They bought a few in late 90's and they keep trying to buy more ...always looking to throw that cash around at a staggering pace ...no other sport operates in this fashion because they can't ( thanks to Salary caps )

Actually, their payroll in the late 90's was barely higher than the other teams, in 1998 they weren't even #1 in the league.

In the last 9 years, 14 different teams have played for a World Series title. If they picked teams at random to play, the maximum possible is 18. Let me know which of the salary cap sports have this kind of balance.

I ask again, do you support free market capitalism or communism?

Actually, their payroll in the late 90's was barely higher than the other teams, in 1998 they weren't even #1 in the league.

In the last 9 years, 14 different teams have played for a World Series title. If they picked teams at random to play, the maximum possible is 18. Let me know which of the salary cap sports have this kind of balance.

God I hate Yankee fans!

I ask again, do you support free market capitalism or communism?

Don't throw that BS out there. This is baseball. We are not talking about governement policy or economics. If it wasn't for the small market teams, the Yankees would only have 3-4 teams to compete against. If the Yanks allienate enough fans with this crap it will be horrible for the sport.