[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ACC Hoops: Return of the Tar Heels

billay

Just finished the season opened against ODU. Carolina by 26, but it could hav easily been 40. Whats up with Duke only beating Detroit by 11? They were behind the entire first half?!? They are overrated. As for the Heels at #9? They have the talent, but at the pace they played tonight, they're goning to have to get in better shape. Glad ACC hoops season has finally arrived!

what;s with all the doubbt!!!???!?!?

puke - they;re pretty good. unc - roy will have them ready to play. terps - will rule (as usual). there is no better time of the year to be a fan of the acc. media can talk about how the big east is a superpower - but come 'on! they got lucky with 'melo (@syr) and sure as heck can't come up with one team [this year] to play with the likes of unc/duke/umd/gtech/etc.

justin:

media can talk about how the big east is a superpower - but come 'on!  they got lucky with 'melo (@syr) and sure as heck can't come up with one team [this year] to play with the likes of unc/duke/umd/gtech/etc.

As a WVU fan,I have to respectfully disagree.How about number 1 UConn?Or number 7 Syracuse?Notre Dame at 19,and Pitt is at 22,but this is early in the year.

The Big East had four teams in the Sweet Sixteen last year.It was hardly "lucky".

Meat Face:

Sorry UNC fans, but you guys have lots of frustration to look forward to.  Roy Williams is overrated, and I'm very happy that he's gone and that Bill Self is at the helm.

Are you saying that because you were frustrated with Roy as a Kansas fan? Frustrated that he never won a national title there? If so, thats pretty good standing. UNC fell so far with the Gutheridge/Doherty debacle, that I would be happy to just be a bridesmaid, if not a bride. wink Everybody knows, though, that its divine providence that Roy wouldn't win a national title until he came back to Chapel Hill. So far the heels have beaten 2 weaker opponents by 30+ points. In previous years, when we played teams we ought to beat, we would only win by 8-12 points. The improvement is already there.

Sox:

justin:

media can talk about how the big east is a superpower - but come 'on!  they got lucky with 'melo (@syr) and sure as heck can't come up with one team [this year] to play with the likes of unc/duke/umd/gtech/etc.

As a WVU fan,I have to respectfully disagree.How about number 1 UConn?Or number 7 Syracuse?Notre Dame at 19,and Pitt is at 22,but this is early in the year.

The Big East had four teams in the Sweet Sixteen last year.It was hardly "lucky".

So much for the UConn #1 ranking. An unranked Georgia Tech proved to be better on a neutral (or maybe even UConn - based on the fact that MSG is close to CONN) court.

And #7 Syracuse gets beat by an unranked Carolina team. So much for rankings.

Meat Face:

As a KU alum, I wish UNC the best of luck in dealing with their future frustrations with Roy.  I'm SOOO glad he's finally gone from KU.  

Bill Self is the man!     take_a_b  

Hey Meat, that the third anti Roy Williams post I've read from you in the last 5 minutes. Are you really that bitter? Bill Self is coaching a team that Roy Williams put together. We'll see how Mr. Self does when the cupboard isn't already stocked for him.

Bye the way, I'm watching the Duke-Mich. St. Game. Mich State looks awful. I swear, they had more turnover than points in the first half. I thought these guys were supposed to be contenders? They are currently down 20 on their home court. OVER RATED!!

billay:

Meat Face:

As a KU alum, I wish UNC the best of luck in dealing with their future frustrations with Roy.  I'm SOOO glad he's finally gone from KU.  

Bill Self is the man!      take_a_b  

Hey Meat, that the third anti Roy Williams post I've read from you in the last 5 minutes. Are you really that bitter? Bill Self is coaching a team that Roy Williams put together. We'll see how Mr. Self does when the cupboard isn't already stocked for him. Roy, unfortunately, has made KU hoops look like the Buffalo Bills of college basketball - CLOSE! but no cigar.

• 1 month later...
billay:

Duke loses to Purdue by 10...I told you guys they were overrated.  Heels survive a scare from Cleveland St.

Haven't heard lately how Duke is overrated. Care to change your opinion or are you stuck in the Tar Heel mentality?

I believe that they're (UNC) in for a good old fashioned ass whoopin' this weekend from UCONN. Seems like their #1 ranking isn't quite a fluke.

Kid Cid:

I believe that they're (UNC) in for a good old fashioned ass whoopin' this weekend from UCONN. Seems like their #1 ranking isn't quite a fluke.

I believe the UNC was the better team today, but they still got their azz whooped by the Terps. But as a result of UCONN's loss, Duke will be #1 and is coming to College Park, MD this upcomming week.

The Tar Heels have lost a couple of tough games (Wake in triple OT, @Kentucky and @Maryland) but have now beaten 2 top 10 teams (Ga. Tech and UConn). Their lack of depth is starting to show. They run like crazy in the 1st half (averaging about 50 points) and then are tired most of the 2nd half. Sean May has been sucking alot of wind lately. I have no complaints about the heels. Its a long season, and they will continue to improve.

As for the Dookies, I still think that their talent level is far below where it has been over the past several years. Coach K has these kids playing over their heads. Thats not anything new, mind you, and that's why he's a great coach. (Thats right, a tarheel fan just said Coach K was a great coach, write it down). Duke has had a favorable conference schedule to this point, which has played a role in their 4-0 start.

I still like the Tar Heel's chances against Duke at home, so they shouldn't get comfortable with that # 1 ranking we just opened up for them.

GO HEELS!

billay:

The Tar Heels have lost a couple of tough games (Wake in triple OT, @Kentucky and @Maryland) but have now beaten 2 top 10 teams (Ga. Tech and UConn).  Their lack of depth is starting to show.  They run like crazy in the 1st half (averaging about 50 points) and then are tired most of the 2nd half.  Sean May has been sucking alot of wind lately.  I have no complaints about the heels.  Its a long season, and they will continue to improve.  

As for the Dookies, I still think that their talent level is far below where it has been over the past several years.  Coach K has these kids playing over their heads.  Thats not anything new, mind you, and that's why he's a great coach.  (Thats right, a tarheel fan just said Coach K was a great coach, write it down).  Duke has had a favorable conference schedule to this point, which has played a role in their 4-0 start.

I still like the Tar Heel's chances against Duke at home, so they shouldn't get comfortable with that # 1 ranking we just opened up for them.

GO HEELS!

I'm not a Duke fan either, but Coach K is clearly the best coach in America - hands down.

Maryland has ZERO chance against Duke. You guys always play over your heads against the tarheels, but bury your heads in the sand against Duke. I figure the Devils will pummell you guys by at least 25.

posted by billay:

...You guys always play over your heads against the tarheels,  but bury your heads in the sand against Duke  ...

shrug

2-19-03: Duke 75, Maryland 70 (at Durham)

1-18-03: Maryland 87, Duke 72 (at College Park)

2-17-02: Maryland 87, Duke 73 (at College Park)

1-17-02: Duke 99, Maryland 78 (at Durham)

2-27-01: Maryland 91, Duke 80 (at Durham)

1-27-01: Duke 98, Maryland 96 - OT (at College Park)