[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ACC Hoops: Return of the Tar Heels

billay

Cordo:

posted by billay:

...You guys always play over your heads against the tarheels,  but bury your heads in the sand against Duke  ...

shrug

2-19-03: Duke 75, Maryland 70 (at Durham)

1-18-03: Maryland 87, Duke 72 (at College Park)

2-17-02: Maryland 87, Duke 73 (at College Park)

1-17-02: Duke 99, Maryland 78 (at Durham)

2-27-01: Maryland 91, Duke 80 (at Durham)

1-27-01: Duke 98, Maryland 96 - OT (at College Park)

You forgot a couple:

3/10/01: Duke 84, Maryland 82

3/31/01: Duke 95, MAryland 84

Hmmmmm, lets see, 3 wins in 3 years. Impressive. But lets look a little further back.

Maryland lost 15 straight to Duke from 2/13/88 to 1/28/95. EVERY GAME for SEVEN YEARS.

Maryland lost 7 straight from 2/27/97 to 2/9/00

Maryland is 4-12 against Duke in the last 16.

Maryland has an all time record against Duke of 55-97

Maryland's record against Duke At Cole Field House:22-28

Maryland's last win streak over Duke that lasted more than 3 games was back in 1976.

billay:

You forgot a couple:

3/10/01:  Duke 84, Maryland 82

3/31/01:  Duke 95, MAryland 84

Hmmmmm, lets see, 3 wins in 3 years.  Impressive.  But lets look a little further back.

Those two games were post-season and while the Dookies took it to the Terps in 2001 (no question there), the Dookies were the one's who failed to show up to the Final Four in 2002 - where they surely would have gotten thier azzes handed to them by the National Champs.

You can look as far back in history as you want - and you have. No one can argue that Duke has a great history where as the Terps went through some very bad and troubling years.

Fact is that over the past few years the Terps have proven that they can play with anyone and if you think that Duke is in for a cakewalk on Wed. night - you're just being silly. Duke has never won in the Comcast Center and they've lost two of the last three to the Terps.

justin:

billay:

You forgot a couple:

3/10/01:  Duke 84, Maryland 82

3/31/01:  Duke 95, MAryland 84

Hmmmmm, lets see, 3 wins in 3 years.  Impressive.  But lets look a little further back.

Those two games were post-season and while the Dookies took it to the Terps in 2001 (no question there), the Dookies were the one's who failed to show up to the Final Four in 2002 - where they surely would have gotten thier azzes handed to them by the National Champs.

You can look as far back in history as you want - and you have. No one can argue that Duke has a great history where as the Terps went through some very bad and troubling years.

Fact is that over the past few years the Terps have proven that they can play with anyone and if you think that Duke is in for a cakewalk on Wed. night - you're just being silly. Duke has never won in the Comcast Center and they've lost two of the last three to the Terps.

Justin,

I wasn't trying to argue that Maryland hasn't come a long way as a program. I was genuinely happy for Gary Williams National Title. As a Carolina fan though, during our great depression we had to look somebody else to beat the Dookies. As Duke's main competition while Carolina was rebuilding, I watched every Maryland/Duke Game with great enthusiasm, hoping for a Maryland win. More often that not, I was dissapointed. It may be Carolina Homerism, but it seems most teams in the ACC play well against carolina, but poorly against duke. Take Wake Forest for example, Wake played fantastic against UNC in Chapel Hill, but went to Duke and hardly made a game of it. I could cite more examples, but I don't feel like doing the research right now. Anywhoo, that's why I think Maryland will get killed this week, not because they're not any good, but because I want them to win.

I didn't get to watch the game, but as I understand it, the terps played hard and had a chance to win. I heard from a couple of people that Gary got outcoached in the closing minutes which was the difference in the game. I do feel better that maryland did give duke a game after beating the tarheels on the same court. Looks like the heels are going to get a shot at another #1. If they win this one, we'll have move victories against #1 ranked teams than any other program in history. cool_thu

GO HEELS!

Maryland was down big early in the second half, but cut the lead to 3 pts twice in the last 5 minutes. Main difference in the game was Duke's dominance on the boards. How many times does a team lose when they hold a team under 35% from the field ??

• 2 weeks later...
TimC:

Roy Williams suddenly isn't the greatest coach in history when he's in a real conference.     thinking  

Go Cavs.

Tim, you a Wahoo ? Just wondering, couple around here are -- myself and HoosMan (duh), don't know about anyone else.

• 1 month later...
justin:

Sox:

justin:

media can talk about how the big east is a superpower - but come 'on!  they got lucky with 'melo (@syr) and sure as heck can't come up with one team [this year] to play with the likes of unc/duke/umd/gtech/etc.

As a WVU fan,I have to respectfully disagree.How about number 1 UConn?Or number 7 Syracuse?Notre Dame at 19,and Pitt is at 22,but this is early in the year.

The Big East had four teams in the Sweet Sixteen last year.It was hardly "lucky".

So much for the UConn #1 ranking. An unranked Georgia Tech proved to be better on a neutral (or maybe even UConn - based on the fact that MSG is close to CONN) court.

And #7 Syracuse gets beat by an unranked Carolina team. So much for rankings.

Well now....guess the Big East was lucky again...LOL

Cordo:

TimC:

Roy Williams suddenly isn't the greatest coach in history when he's in a real conference.      thinking    

Go Cavs.

Tim, you a Wahoo ? Just wondering, couple around here are -- myself and HoosMan (duh), don't know about anyone else. In the ACC, I'm Cavs all the way since seeing Ralph Sampson back at the Richmond Coliseum way back in the early 80s where I had to reach waaay up to shake his hand. lol I hope that Pete is the answer now that he's back for another year (at least), but just don't think so. You guys optimistic Pete is going to finally take them anywhere?

Otherwise, it's Spiders all the way. thumbs_u