[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

OU - FLA

theeohiostate

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leinart and Reggie Bush each won 2 titles, a Heisman and played for another title. Bush did it in 3 years. Besides Tebow had very little to do with the 1st title, he wasnt the starter. Last year he lead his team to a 9-4 record.

Tebow is great, but he has so many more weapons around him than Vince Young did. Vince IMO, is the best college QB ever. Vince record in his Sophmore and Junior season was 25-1, a National Title over heavily favored SC, and won the Rose Bowl as a Sophmore. Vince left for the NFL after his Junior year.

Tebow as a Sophmore lost his bowl game to a heavy dog Michigan in a non BCS game. Tebow won a National Title his junior year, but lost at home to Ole Miss. Vince never lost a home game, ever. Tebow lost 2 home games last year.

Vince lead his team to a 13-0 record as a Junior, something Tebow hasnt done.

Vince lead his team to a 12-1 record as a Sophmore, Tebow lost 4 games as a Sophmore with more weapons that Vince had..

Neither was a full time starter as a Freshman.

E2A: Id call 12-1 and a Rose Bowl win an amazing season, as a sophmore. Especially when you are considering a 9-4 season amazing for Tebow.

I know what Leinart did but he was not one of the ones mentinoned earlier in this post, and Bush isnt a QB so I am not sure why he is relevant. I can agree with everything you said about Young, like I said, I would put him in the same class as Tebow, which is rare air. I know Florida is stacked but Texas had some talent on that team as well. I will say the Rose Bowl NC game was the best individual performance I have seen.

So what?

I guess it is just me and how I am interpreting comments like "Tim Tebow has won 2 national championships and a Heisman"...to me it sounds like he lead the team to both when actually he was used basically as a fullback in the first one. My point being, if you drop the Heisman portion, you can say the "he won 2 national championships" to just about any player that has been there for 3 years, which in turn, doesn't make him all that special.

The lovefest that surrounds Tim Tebow can be a little overwhelming sometimes.

I guess it is just me and how I am interpreting comments like "Tim Tebow has won 2 national championships and a Heisman"...to me it sounds like he lead the team to both when actually he was used basically as a fullback in the first one. My point being, if you drop the Heisman portion, you can say the "he won 2 national championships" to just about any player that has been there for 3 years, which in turn, doesn't make him all that special.

The lovefest that surrounds Tim Tebow can be a little overwhelming sometimes.

:wacko:

Chris Leak didn't have a horrible senior season, and still gave way to the freshman Tebow in some sets. Did Tebow lead that team to the championship? Nah, I don't think anyone that knows half a schit would say that, but as I recall he was pretty instrumental (13 total TDs) that season.

Sounds like you're mixing your haterade a little too strong.

The "love fest" or respect for Tebow is more for what he does off the field in his own time at the young age of 21 than what he has accomplished on the field for the last several years. I do not want to discount what he has done, as he has a nice little resume built up that many players would love to have.

How many other players have done what he has "off" the pitch? Not many, and how many that have done good things off the field have done them for themselves vs. doing them because they are the right thing to do or just a great thing to do? We do not see this much from today's athletes, we see very high earnings, off the field drama and way too many negative headlines..therefore when a guy comes along like this and has game to boot, he gets put on a pedestal and is viewed as AMAZING.

The "love fest" or respect for Tebow is more for what he does off the field in his own time at the young age of 21 than what he has accomplished on the field for the last several years. I do not want to discount what he has done, as he has a nice little resume built up that many players would love to have.

How many other players have done what he has "off" the pitch? Not many, and how many that have done good things off the field have done them for themselves vs. doing them because they are the right thing to do or just a great thing to do? We do not see this much from today's athletes, we see very high earnings, off the field drama and way too many negative headlines..therefore when a guy comes along like this and has game to boot, he gets put on a pedestal and is viewed as AMAZING.

Well said.

<Side bar>

As for the comparisons of Tebow to Young. I can say without pause that I have thoroughly enjoyed watching both and that Young was more dynamic but certainly no more important to his team. The coaches called his number repeatedly and he carried that offense in the late stages, much like Young.

As for comparing resumes... ya'll gotta give up the Young was 25-1 vs Tebow went 9-4 last year garbage. True, record is a way of evaluating QBs but it fails to recognize the fact that Texas' D was loaded with future pros and Florida's was just plain bad at times last year. Let's not forget when looking at their 9-4 record that he threw for nearly 3,300 yds, 32 TDs vs 6 Ints and rushed for nearly 900 yds and another 23 TDs. It's this "he was 25-1" kinda mess that wins the Gino Torretta's of the world Heismans.

:wacko:

Chris Leak didn't have a horrible senior season, and still gave way to the freshman Tebow in some sets. Did Tebow lead that team to the championship? Nah, I don't think anyone that knows half a schit would say that, but as I recall he was pretty instrumental (13 total TDs) that season.

Sounds like you're mixing your haterade a little too strong.

Think what you want about me, but it really isn't haterade. It's bringing some impartiality and reason to the subject. That was Chris Leak's team...but we Americans are well known for our short-term memory. It's just that IMHO, he is getting more credit for accomplishments that were not his. In other words, it starts to disrespect Chris Leak (and others) and make him as only an equal contributor.

BTW, those 13 touchdowns were, again, basically glorified, fullback-type touchdowns. And Leak didn't "give way" to Tebow... Tebow, if anything, was a "wrinkle" in Urban Meyer's playbook to keep opponents off-balance... see this is the re-writing of history I'm talking about...

Edited by millerx

agree with above- I am the first person that gets sick of the over the top nut hugging that goes on........

but in Tebows case I just don't care bc the dude is so money - on the field he is a flat winner, and the term leader is over-hyped but damn that kid willed his team to win 10 straight.

off the field? if he is as good as advertised more power to him, we need more like him in this world.

Plus- you all saw the pics of his ex right?? good gawd that boy is getting some fine Christian ass........

OBAMA/TEBOW in '12

Well said.

<Side bar>

As for the comparisons of Tebow to Young. I can say without pause that I have thoroughly enjoyed watching both and that Young was more dynamic but certainly no more important to his team. The coaches called his number repeatedly and he carried that offense in the late stages, much like Young.

As for comparing resumes... ya'll gotta give up the Young was 25-1 vs Tebow went 9-4 last year garbage. True, record is a way of evaluating QBs but it fails to recognize the fact that Texas' D was loaded with future pros and Florida's was just plain bad at times last year. Let's not forget when looking at their 9-4 record that he threw for nearly 3,300 yds, 32 TDs vs 6 Ints and rushed for nearly 900 yds and another 23 TDs. It's this "he was 25-1" kinda mess that wins the Gino Torretta's of the world Heismans.

Ultimately winning should define a QB. If its all about stats, then why is Drew Brees not in the same sentence as Tom Brady and Peyton Manning as the elite QBs. He puts up better numbers, but he has to because his defense isnt as good. Does that make Brees a better QB than Brady or Manning, I think not. Same thing here, Tebow this year with a better defense and a ton more weapons than Young had, didnt even come close to putting up numbers like last year and Tebows team was more successful. Young had nothing offensively around him but a TE, and he put on a clinic in that title game. What Tebow did last night doesnt even compare to Young in that title game. Its not even close.

Tebow led his team last year to a 9-4 record, even with all the stats. I personally do not think he was that good of a player last year, just a stat machine, ala Drew Brees because someone had to do something on that offense. This year I give Tebow alot more credit, because a leader motivates the D to play better, and wills his team to wins, even when the D gives up 38 pts in a title game. Tebow lost 3 home games, 2 road games and a bowl game in 2 seasons. Vince Young lost once, to OU on a neutral field in 2 years, and went 25-1 with a National Championship, and he should have won the Heisman.

Maybe if the D wasnt so bad, he wouldnt have had to do so much offensively. Vince was a one man show in 2005, everyone knew what was coming, and they couldnt stop him. And he still led his team to a 25-1 record. Tebow couldnt carry Vince Jock as far as Im concerned. And I hate the Whorns.

Ultimately winning should define a QB. If its all about stats, then why is Drew Brees not in the same sentence as Tom Brady and Peyton Manning as the elite QBs. He puts up better numbers, but he has to because his defense isnt as good. Does that make Brees a better QB than Brady or Manning, I think not. Same thing here, Tebow this year with a better defense and a ton more weapons than Young had, didnt even come close to putting up numbers like last year and Tebows team was more successful. Young had nothing offensively around him but a TE, and he put on a clinic in that title game. What Tebow did last night doesnt even compare to Young in that title game. Its not even close.

Tebow led his team last year to a 9-4 record, even with all the stats. I personally do not think he was that good of a player last year, just a stat machine, ala Drew Brees because someone had to do something on that offense. This year I give Tebow alot more credit, because a leader motivates the D to play better, and wills his team to wins, even when the D gives up 38 pts in a title game. Tebow lost 3 home games, 2 road games and a bowl game in 2 seasons. Vince Young lost once, to OU on a neutral field in 2 years, and went 25-1 with a National Championship, and he should have won the Heisman.

Maybe if the D wasnt so bad, he wouldnt have had to do so much offensively. Vince was a one man show in 2005, everyone knew what was coming, and they couldnt stop him. And he still led his team to a 25-1 record. Tebow couldnt carry Vince Jock as far as Im concerned. And I hate the Whorns.

I love the Horns and Vince....dude ran like a fricken deer and carried UT in many games, in college. Thank goodness he did not have to read defenses or take the crowd booing him while a Horn or he may have hung his cleats up before he got to the big show! He is lucky he went to TN instead of NYG/NYJ......the boos would have him ran him in less than a season.

First chance to post since the game.

My observations:

Tebow is a great college QB, we will see how he does as a pro

Bradford is the better pure QB and IMO will be outstanding as a pro

Gresham will not be a TE in the pro's. will split out ala Colston.

OU defense suprised me. They played much better than I expected. held the Gators to 24.

Florida's D suprised me. I mean I never thought they would hold OU to 14. and they all will be back next year.

I thought Julio would do better.

Bob Stoops is an AZZ. cannot coach a big game if his life depended on it.

Urban Meyer is the best college coach at the present.

The first NC for Florida would not have happenned if Tebow doesn't win the game against LSU.

Ultimately winning should define a QB. Once again, two words... Gino Torretta If its all about stats, then why is Drew Brees not in the same sentence as Tom Brady and Peyton Manning as the elite QBs. He puts up better numbers, but he has to because his defense isnt as good. Does that make Brees a better QB than Brady or Manning, I think not. Same thing here, Tebow this year with a better defense and a ton more weapons than Young had In their respective championship seasons, Young accounted for about 61% of his teams production vs Tebow's 55%. Certainly not an overwheliming difference And last year Tebow accounted for 70%, didnt even come close to putting up numbers like last year and Tebows team was more successful. Young had nothing offensively around him but a TE, and he put on a clinic in that title game. What Tebow did last night doesnt even compare to Young in that title game. Its not even close. Again from the perspective of eye candy or being dynamic, you're right Tebow's performance doesn't match-up. However, to say it's not even close is a bit much. 10 minutes left in the NC game, you know right after the Black INT, last two drives to seal the deal... First drive, 2 carries for 4 yds and 8 of 8 for 76 Yds and a TD. Second drive, 5 carries for 31 yds to run out the clock. Maybe not the single best performance ever but pretty damn good.

Maybe if the D wasnt so bad, he wouldnt have had to do so much offensively. When your D is good the offense gets more opportunities to produceVince was a one man show in 2005, everyone knew what was coming, and they couldnt stop him. And he still led his team to a 25-1 record. Tebow couldnt carry Vince Jock as far as Im concerned. And I hate the Whorns.

Let me begin by explaining that I did not nor am I now suggesting that Tebow is better than Young. In fact, I said that Young was a "more dynamic" player. Then all I said was I did not believe he was any more important to his team. The only reason that I mention Tebow's stats from last year was to point out that great players often play on less than great teams. From an individual performance perspective, doing something that no one else in the history of the game has done makes you at the very least worthy of Heisman and great player conversation. When presented with stats like these, being on a 9-4 team just doesn't mean that much, QB or not.

For what it's worth, I think Young's performance in that NC game was probably the best I've ever seen but to suggest the importance of Tebow to his team and the impressiveness of his performance is pedestrian or overrated is just silly.

Edited by BS Miscreant

• 2 weeks later...
First chance to post since the game.

My observations:

Tebow is a great college QB, we will see how he does as a pro

Bradford is the better pure QB and IMO will be outstanding as a pro

Gresham will not be a TE in the pro's. will split out ala Colston.

OU defense suprised me. They played much better than I expected. held the Gators to 24.

Florida's D suprised me. I mean I never thought they would hold OU to 14. and they all will be back next year.

I thought Julio would do better.

Bob Stoops is an AZZ. cannot coach a big game if his life depended on it.

Urban Meyer is the best college coach at the present.

The first NC for Florida would not have happenned if Tebow doesn't win the game against LSU.

I agree with a lot of this but to say Urban Meyer is the best? I think that he is IN the conversation with Pete Carrol and has done an outstanding job with the Gators, but the best? I would have loved to see Meyer and Carrol in the NC game as we would have had the two best coaches and the two best teams in the nation going at each other.