[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

UFC 96

budlitebrad

Why? :wacko:

Because they have to build Rampage back up and need more highlight material from him before they can justify him being a no.1 contender. A lot of it, I bet has to do with his impending court dates set for 11 months from now. No way does Dana put him in as the no.1 contender or no.2 contender if he doesn't know if Jackson will even be a free man at that point.

Regardless, I don't think he should be the no.1 contender. That title belongs to Lyoto Machida.

And I think Chuck Liddell may be fighting for the last time against Rua in April. If Chuck losses again, it's time to hang it up. I only hope that Shogun switches camps and gets his cardio in tune. He's similar to Penn in the sense that he is far more talented, but disipline and heart have been questioned. Penn has fixed the error of his ways, hopefully Shogun can do the same.

Here is the full card

Quinton Jackson vs. Keith Jardine

Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Shane Carwin

Dustin Hazelett vs. Ben Saunders

Matt Hamill vs. Mark Munoz

Gray Maynard vs. Jim Miller

Kendall Grove vs. Jason Day

Brandon Vera vs. Michael Patt

Pete Sell vs. Matt Brown

Aaron Riley vs. Shane Nelson

While not a lot of big names, there are a few fights that I really want to see. Gabriel Gonzaga and Shane Carwin will face off at HW, and if Gonzoga wins, I think he goes to the no.1 contender behind Mir and Lesnar. Carwin has looked great, but I think Gonzaga is a monster.

For anyone that wants to see crazy submissions, just watch Dustin Hazelett. That guy may have the best submissions in MMA at any weight.

I'm also interested to see if Brandon Vera has figured out the whole fighting at LHW this time around. His two previous fights, he's had to cut a lot of weight, then was tied up and robbed at gunpoint at his trainers house a few days before the fight.

Here is the full card

Quinton Jackson vs. Keith Jardine

Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Shane Carwin

Dustin Hazelett vs. Ben Saunders

Matt Hamill vs. Mark Munoz

Gray Maynard vs. Jim Miller

Kendall Grove vs. Jason Day

Brandon Vera vs. Michael Patt

Pete Sell vs. Matt Brown

Aaron Riley vs. Shane Nelson

While not a lot of big names, there are a few fights that I really want to see. Gabriel Gonzaga and Shane Carwin will face off at HW, and if Gonzoga wins, I think he goes to the no.1 contender behind Mir and Lesnar. Carwin has looked great, but I think Gonzaga is a monster.

For anyone that wants to see crazy submissions, just watch Dustin Hazelett. That guy may have the best submissions in MMA at any weight.

I'm also interested to see if Brandon Vera has figured out the whole fighting at LHW this time around. His two previous fights, he's had to cut a lot of weight, then was tied up and robbed at gunpoint at his trainers house a few days before the fight.

Agree on Hazelett... not much to look at, but he's amazing on his back. One of the most impressive submission "artists" I've seen, for sure. Always enjoy watching Hamill fight as well. Pete Sell vs. Matt Brown should be interesting.

As far as last night, Shogun looked HORRIBLE... gassed midway through the opening round, which is pretty sad. He was very fortunate to get that stoppage, as one could make the argument that Coleman was making a fight out of it, and that it could have gone either way in a decision. Not saying Coleman would have won, but he certainly had the momentum through most of the third round, and Shogun certainly wasn't dominant in either of the first two rounds.

Franklin was unlucky... first, the accidental head butt that cut his forehead wide open, then the eye-poke. Is it just me, or has Henderson been involved in more than his share of those over the years? Not saying he's dirty, but those two things certainly helped sway the fight in his favor.

The other thing I've noticed is that it seems like we're seeing less fights on the PPV card... Only five last night (if I remember correctly), and the same the last couple of events. I know a lot of it depends on how long they go (decisions vs. KO's/submissions), but it seems like we used to get a minimum of 6-7. It's laughable that DirecTV advertises it as a 4-hour event in their scheduling, but it's always done in less than three.

Looking forward to Penn vs. GSP in two weeks... It will be interesting to see how Penn looks (what kind of shape he's in). I don't think he can afford to come into this fight at anything less than 100%, but it sounds like he's put those days (of fighting somewhat out of shape) behind him.

As far as last night, Shogun looked HORRIBLE... gassed midway through the opening round, which is pretty sad. He was very fortunate to get that stoppage, as one could make the argument that Coleman was making a fight out of it, and that it could have gone either way in a decision. Not saying Coleman would have won, but he certainly had the momentum through most of the third round, and Shogun certainly wasn't dominant in either of the first two rounds.

Franklin was unlucky... first, the accidental head butt that cut his forehead wide open, then the eye-poke. Is it just me, or has Henderson been involved in more than his share of those over the years? Not saying he's dirty, but those two things certainly helped sway the fight in his favor.

The other thing I've noticed is that it seems like we're seeing less fights on the PPV card... Only five last night (if I remember correctly), and the same the last couple of events. I know a lot of it depends on how long they go (decisions vs. KO's/submissions), but it seems like we used to get a minimum of 6-7. It's laughable that DirecTV advertises it as a 4-hour event in their scheduling, but it's always done in less than three.

Looking forward to Penn vs. GSP in two weeks... It will be interesting to see how Penn looks (what kind of shape he's in). I don't think he can afford to come into this fight at anything less than 100%, but it sounds like he's put those days (of fighting somewhat out of shape) behind him.

We've got to remember that Shogun has gone over a year without a fight and undergone two knee surgeries since then. I just watched his post fight press conference and he said that you can train for a fight, but being in a fight is completly different and that he had to knock a lot of rust off of his game. He also said that he's still in the process of building up his cardio and that it is still a work in process. It's good to know that he's focused on improving it. I do think the stoppage was good though.

Henderson is one of the few Pride fighters that I don't really root for. It's probably because he comes from a wrestling background, and I can't stand wrestling, but Hendo does have a tendency to deliver those at a higher rate than others.

As far as the fight cards go, they are 4 hours or so. Unfortunately, the UFC doesn't air all of them... They let us know that we can go onto ufc.com and pay to watch the fights. :wacko: You'd think $45 was enough.

As far as Penn/GSP, the only thing that could be bigger to me sport wise would be Packers playoffs.

As a diehard Penn fan, and daily visitor to his site, I can assure you that you will see an in shape Penn ready to go. This is the one fight that disturbs him the most. A lot felt that Penn should have won the split decision, and if it wasn't for a fluke rib seperation, it wouldn't have gone the distance anyways. If GSP stands with Penn, Penn will destroy him with his boxing. GSP is going to have to outwork Penn. GSP cannot/Will not sub Penn, where as Penn has elite JJ skills. I'm hoping for a RNC and GSP goes to sleep.

WAR BJ PENN!

Where also forgetting the Affliction card this weekend... Will Andre Arlovski do what no one else has and stop Fedor? No, but it should be fun to watch anyways. It's great to see Arlovski regain his championship level form. Freddie Roach has worked miricles with his standup.

We've got to remember that Shogun has gone over a year without a fight and undergone two knee surgeries since then. I just watched his post fight press conference and he said that you can train for a fight, but being in a fight is completly different and that he had to knock a lot of rust off of his game. He also said that he's still in the process of building up his cardio and that it is still a work in process. It's good to know that he's focused on improving it. I do think the stoppage was good though.

Henderson is one of the few Pride fighters that I don't really root for. It's probably because he comes from a wrestling background, and I can't stand wrestling, but Hendo does have a tendency to deliver those at a higher rate than others.

As far as the fight cards go, they are 4 hours or so. Unfortunately, the UFC doesn't air all of them... They let us know that we can go onto ufc.com and pay to watch the fights. :wacko: You'd think $45 was enough.

As far as Penn/GSP, the only thing that could be bigger to me sport wise would be Packers playoffs.

As a diehard Penn fan, and daily visitor to his site, I can assure you that you will see an in shape Penn ready to go. This is the one fight that disturbs him the most. A lot felt that Penn should have won the split decision, and if it wasn't for a fluke rib seperation, it wouldn't have gone the distance anyways. If GSP stands with Penn, Penn will destroy him with his boxing. GSP is going to have to outwork Penn. GSP cannot/Will not sub Penn, where as Penn has elite JJ skills. I'm hoping for a RNC and GSP goes to sleep.

WAR BJ PENN!

Where also forgetting the Affliction card this weekend... Will Andre Arlovski do what no one else has and stop Fedor? No, but it should be fun to watch anyways. It's great to see Arlovski regain his championship level form. Freddie Roach has worked miricles with his standup.

Good points. I also thought the stoppage was good, considering that Coleman wasn't doing much to defend himself. However, given that Shogun barely had the energy to throw a punch at that point, I doubt Coleman was in any danger of being seriously hurt. Both guys' arms looked like they were moving in slow motion. I think I would have let it go another second or two, then called it if Coleman didn't at least make an attempt to cover his head/face. The unfortunately part for Coleman was that it didn't really look like he was knocked to the ground by any of Shogun's punches... more like he crumbled to the ground out of exhaustion, and Shogun had clearly proven that he was just as exhausted as Coleman. All in all, it was an almost comical "battle" between two guys who didn't have the cardio to make it through one round, much less three. Shogun is clearly still a long way away from being a legitimate contender again at LHW.

The HD version is $54.99... Once you have the option, though, it's hard not to pay that extra ten dollars... picture is so much more clear, it's a must. Given that I've purchased pretty much every PPV in the past 2+ years, I now just factor the $50-100 into my monthly budget. :D

why don't you guys hit up the local sports bar, sets you back about $10 bones a month..........

Not many sports bars in my particular neighbourhood get the fights (compared to Phoenix, for example, which has a ton)... Probably because there aren't many sports bars, period. I think there are a couple of options in San Jose (30 miles away), and a couple in SF (about an hour), but considering all of the other factors, I'd rather just fork over the $50 and watch it at home.

I've watched a couple of fights at bars (one in Phoenix, actually), and I have to say that it's somewhat annoying when you can't hear the commentary. Unlike a lot of people, I actually enjoy listening to Goldberg and Rogan, for the most part.

What I really have a hard time doing is paying for the Affliction events... Probably try to get away and watch that one somewhere.

Not many sports bars in my particular neighbourhood get the fights (compared to Phoenix, for example, which has a ton)... Probably because there aren't many sports bars, period. I think there are a couple of options in San Jose (30 miles away), and a couple in SF (about an hour), but considering all of the other factors, I'd rather just fork over the $50 and watch it at home.

I've watched a couple of fights at bars (one in Phoenix, actually), and I have to say that it's somewhat annoying when you can't hear the commentary. Unlike a lot of people, I actually enjoy listening to Goldberg and Rogan, for the most part.

What I really have a hard time doing is paying for the Affliction events... Probably try to get away and watch that one somewhere.

fair enough- there a lot of bars here that show them, this is true -

I think the energy when you are out is fun- especially in big fights when everyone is into it. We go to a few different places and they crank the volume pretty good and you can always hear Rogan and Goldberg.........

they crank the volume pretty good and you can always hear Rogan and Goldberg.........

I'm sorry to hear that.

Actually, you can turn it into a drinking game - have one every time Rogan yells UNBELIEVABLE.

Just a couple of slappys.

why don't you guys hit up the local sports bar, sets you back about $10 bones a month..........

Because I'm a MMA elitist. I don't deal well with people complaining and booing when fighters are grappling. Most casual fans have no idea what they're watching... And my couch is much more comfortable than a barstool. My bathroom is cleaner than a bars bathroom. My beer is cheaper then beer at a bar. But mainly because I'm an MMA elitist a-hole. At least I'm honest about it, right? :wacko:

And I'll also say that I cannot stand Goldberg, but I understand his place. Rogan on the other hand is pure gold. He's also a brown belt in BJJ under Eddie Bravo. He knows his stuff really well. Now if only Rogan could get Bas Rutten to share commentating duties... That would be awesome...

Allister Overeem is in discussions to come to the UFC. If it happens, this would be one HW that Brock Lesnar would want no part of standing up.

One more comment about Saturday... I thought the Horn/Palhares fight was very entertaining. The way it started, I think a lot of people (including Goldberg, and maybe even Rogan) thought it was going to be over quickly. I have watched Horn enough to know that he's not going to go down easily, though, and it proved to be a very good fight. In fact, at one point, Horn even mounted the much stronger Palhares. Both guys were very impressive, Palhares just because of his sheer strength (he's built like a frickin' bulldozer), and Horn because he once again showed that he can compete with much more talented guys, thanks to his experience and ability to take a beating and not quit. His longevity in the sport may be what impresses me the most... 130+ fights! :wacko:

Because I'm a MMA elitist. I don't deal well with people complaining and booing when fighters are grappling. Most casual fans have no idea what they're watching... And my couch is much more comfortable than a barstool. My bathroom is cleaner than a bars bathroom. My beer is cheaper then beer at a bar. But mainly because I'm an MMA elitist a-hole. At least I'm honest about it, right? :wacko:

I get it, trust me. A lot of times for a hugh hoops or football game involving my teams, I prefer being in front of my plasma being able to see and hear everything instead of being in a bar listening to a bunch of donkeys dissect the game or missing out on what is going on. mainly hoops where I am an elitist and know the game inside and out.

In the MMA world, I am one of the donkeys and in this town, we go out watch the fights as a launching point, and there is usually hotties around.....

And I'll also say that I cannot stand Goldberg, but I understand his place. Rogan on the other hand is pure gold. He's also a brown belt in BJJ under Eddie Bravo. He knows his stuff really well. Now if only Rogan could get Bas Rutten to share commentating duties... That would be awesome...

Allister Overeem is in discussions to come to the UFC. If it happens, this would be one HW that Brock Lesnar would want no part of standing up.

agreed - Goldberg is a doocher and you can tell Rogan knows the sport, and loves it.

I also like Mir - he does an excellent job doing the WEC fights

just about every bar in Phoenix shows these fights, and a few of them for free. every place ive watched them at has the sound cranked.

im not an MMA junkie by all means, but didnt Liddell eff this guy up in pride? So why would Lesner be scared?

just about every bar in Phoenix shows these fights, and a few of them for free. every place ive watched them at has the sound cranked.

It's not necessarily that the sound isn't cranked... just too many distractions for my taste. I prefer to watch them at home, and actually have found that I prefer to watch them with nobody else in the room (people talking during the fights get on my nerves). I've purchased pretty much every PPV UFC event in the past 2-3 years, and I'm so used to being able to pause, rewind, fast-forward, etc. that I don't know what I would do if I couldn't. That said, if there were more bars in this area that showed the fights, I would probably give it a shot, but like I said, there are hardly any sports bars, period, let alone ones that carry UFC events. I hate to say it, but I think the extremely ethnically diverse area that I live in contributes to the lack of sports bars. :wacko:

im not an MMA junkie by all means, but didnt Liddell eff this guy up in pride? So why would Lesner be scared?

I don't know about effing him up... Liddell was rocked during the fight as well.

That was in 2003. Back then, Overeem wasn't bulking up and was constantly cutting weight to fight at LHW. Because of this he either won in the first, or gassed from cutting too much weight. If you know of anyone who wrestled in high school, ask them how hard it is to cut 15 pounds. During that time span he was walking around at 230 and was cutting 25 pounds which is insanity. Cutting too much absolutely kills your power.

He then decided that he was cutting too much and started to bulk up. He's now a legit 255 and is a world class striker. He made quick work of what was thought to be the most dangerous striker at hw in Badr Hari a few weeks ago. He's having trouble finding fights because just about everyone has been ducking him as of late.

Another important fact is that he's seven months away from being 30, the age when fighters start to hit their peaks...

Overeem in 03 and now

Edited by piratesownninjas

slight difference :wacko:

he looked twice the size of Badr to me, knocked him out...twice

Many have questioned his size and if he was juicing. He's been tested several times and always came out clean. Badr Hari's build is a lot different. Taller and thinner, but still a very dangerous striker. At the very worst, Overeem comes in and is a top 5 HW and helps solidify one of the perceived weak classes in the UFC. Lesnar, Mir, Gonzaga, Couture, Big Nog, Cain Velasquez, and potentially adding Overeem? It would close the gap on what Affliction has, although Fedor, Arlovski, and Barnett still give them the edge for the HW division.

It will be interesting to see what Affliction does after it's third show. They've said all along that they were going to do three shows and see where to go from there. At that point, Fedor, and I believe Barnett would be free to sign wherever. I don't think Barnett will stay in America, as he doesn't like the American crowds compared to the Japaneese fans who show much more respect and bring more knowledge to the shows. Fedor on the other hand, would have to sign with the UFC for a few fights, only because he'll have nothing else to conquer.