[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NBA

BigMikeinNY

I'm curious to see how the HORSE contest works out. It has some potential.

They tested the format at last year's D-League All star event. First two guys apparently just did standard stuff, then they had one guy coming out doing all of the behind the backbord wacky shots that got the crowd into it. The article wasn;t clear, but from how they described it, it sounded like it must have been a heads up bracket kind of thing. Not sure of the format for the NBA HORSE event, but I am looking forwardto it.

They tested the format at last year's D-League All star event. First two guys apparently just did standard stuff, then they had one guy coming out doing all of the behind the backbord wacky shots that got the crowd into it. The article wasn;t clear, but from how they described it, it sounded like it must have been a heads up bracket kind of thing. Not sure of the format for the NBA HORSE event, but I am looking forwardto it.

Huh, I heard something about this on Rome's show but forgot to investigate. Sounds cool, I'll be DVRing the Saturday affair so I'll likely watch this as well as the dunk contest.

TNT to air H-O-R-S-E game featuring NBA players

Three NBA Players to Play H-O-R-S-E at NBA All-Star Block Party presented by Right Guard with NBA on TNT Rig Serving as Host Set During Special 2-hour Inside the NBA presented by Hyundai (5-7 p.m. ET)

TNT today announced the addition of the popular basketball shot-making game H-O-R-S-E to its programming lineup during its four days of NBA All-Star 2009 coverage from February 12-15, in Phoenix, Arizona. The H-O-R-S-E game will air live during TNT's two-hour Inside the NBA presented by Hyundai (5 - 7 p.m. ET) on Saturday, February 14. Participants for the event will be announced at a later date.

The game will take place on a 45' X 50' court alongside the network's new NBA on TNT Rig (photo attached) at the NBA All-Star Block Party presented by Right Guard, the NBA's new outdoor All-Star event. The NBA on TNT Rig will also serve as the host set for other studio shows on TNT and NBA TV throughout the weekend. The rig can rise up to 14 feet off the ground and rotate to show views of the arena, downtown area and NBA All-Star Block Party presented by Right Guard, can seat up to 117 guests and will be open to the public on select days. Calling the action from the rig will be Ernie Johnson, along with analysts Kenny Smith and Chris Webber.

The game will use a traditional format in which three players will establish the playing order. Once a shot is made, the next player in the predetermined order will attempt the same shot. If that player misses, he is assigned a letter (ex. H for the first miss, O for the second, etc.). The player following the miss can pick a new shot with which to challenge his competitors. There is no dunking allowed and players will have 24 seconds each to create and mimic shots. Players remain in the game until they have missed five shots following made baskets, thus spelling the word H-O-R-S-E. An NBA referee will be assigned to authenticate the new shots (that the player executed what he announced) and any mimic shot.

5'9" Nate Robinson busting out the Kryptonite uniform and ball and jumping over Howard for the dunk was classic. Howard would have won if he saved the 12 foot dunk for the final round. His foul line dunk was weak and lost him the title.

Yeah that was weak and his foot was actually over the line anyway.

little Nate Robinson is simply one of the best athletes on the face of the earth...... doing that chit at 5'7? ridiculous

not to mention if he stuck with football he would be in the NFL right now playing CB and returning kicks and punts.............

Yeah he's pretty incredible.

Man, I DVRd saturday night, not realizing the horse contest was earlier in the day. Watched it on YouTube - wasn't as cool as I thought it would be, but part of it was they got three guys that didn't talk much and were definitely a bit nervous early on....think if they did it Saturday night, and got the right guys and miked them up, would have been cool...

Howard definitely screwed up with that last dunk. I thought that side-board dunk along with Rudy F's off the back of the glass were the best, but Rudy screwed it up (really Pau did) too many times, and Howard should have changed the order of everything. Nate is amazing, but he essentially is just "jumping high" ... due to him just having enough to get up there and dunk, he can't do what some of these other guys can.

Even the three pt contest kinda sucked cause other than two times did anyone get on a really nice roll... coupled with a blowout of a game (although early on it was pretty good), was mostly a wasted affair (the rookie/sophomore game was pretty good)

Yeah he's pretty incredible.

I watched Nate through High School at Rainier Beach and his short tenure at UDUB in college and the guy is an absolute freak show. I watched him in the State playoffs at the Tacoma Dome totally control the floor on both ends, stealing the ball, rebounding and yes, dunking the ball at about 5'6" tall. Two Sundays ago my wife and I drove down to Portland to watch Nate go against Brandon Roy who he played with at UDUB and against in HS when Brandon played at Garfield. Nate got very few minutes in the 1st half but played 80% of the 2nd half and completely turned the game around. On one play he left the floor right in front of the foul line outjumped Greg Oden, over his back, controlled the ball and then brought the ball down to his waist while still in the air and then threw it off the board and into the hoop. One of the most incredible plays I have ever seen on a basketball floor. In a matter of probably 2 minutes he stole the ball 3 times and scored 9 points, turning the game around. Only to have BRoy score the game winner at the buzzer. Last night Nate had 32 points and 10 rebounds. You can put Lebron, Kobe and Paul as "must see's" but for my money there is nobody in the NBA more exciting to watch than Nate Robinson.