[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

UNC vs DUKE

Do Work Son

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't watched any basketball(pro or college) until this game.

I really hate the fans jumping and the noise at Duke. I've tried watching other college games this year but every game had the same fan jumping and cheers. I blame Duke. :wacko:

I haven't watched any basketball(pro or college) until this game.

I really hate the fans jumping and the noise at Duke. I've tried watching other college games this year but every game had the same fan jumping and cheers. I blame Duke. :wacko:

Yeah I guess it would be better if the fans all sat on their hands and they got rid of the cheerleaders. NOT.

If they did that it would be called Big Ten Basketball. Not ACC.

Edited by jackshi17

Lawson crushed them plus they went cold. Oh well, we'll see what happens on March 8th.

I couldn't find your logo. Is this one ok?

That one's just fine. For future reference, I think you can right click mine and save it.

Memo to Duke: I understand that Cameron is loaded with history (mind you, so was UNC's old crib before they moved to the Dean Dome) and I understand that you get a huuuuuggggge advantage playing in a tiny box loaded with your students. However, either figure out how to make it less than 90 in there or build a new yard. It's a joke watching guys slide around like that all night long.

Oh, and it's not like it did you a damned bit of good, especially the heat. Your guys were sucking air the entire 2nd half.

On another note. Wildcat, Coach K was not the best coach on the floor last night. Roy's halftime adjustments were money. They started having the big guys step away, rather than to the basket on pick and rolls and that totally opened things up for Lawson and they completely changed their spacing on both D and O.

Edited by detlef

Memo to Duke: I understand that Cameron is loaded with history (mind you, so was UNC's old crib before they moved to the Dean Dome) and I understand that you get a huuuuuggggge advantage playing in a tiny box loaded with your students. However, either figure out how to make it less than 90 in there or build a new yard. It's a joke watching guys slide around like that all night long.

Oh, and it's not like it did you a damned bit of good, especially the heat. Your guys were sucking air the entire 2nd half.

On another note. Wildcat, Coach K was not the best coach on the floor last night. Roy's halftime adjustments were money. They started having the big guys step away, rather than to the basket on pick and rolls and that totally opened things up for Lawson and they completely changed their spacing on both D and O.

I have to admit, I got satisfaction out of seeing the temperature thing backfire against the Dookies last night. Make no mistake, its always a few degrees warmer in Cameron than normal when UNC comes to town. Crucial to the run was when twice in a row, the Dookies turned it over because someone had slipped on the sweaty floor.

Coach K is absolutely masterful at creating unique schemes to attack or guard against specific situations. He's got to be one of the best X & O coaches in the game. The difference last night was physical ability, pure and simple. Dook just doesn't have anyone physically gifted enough to guard Lawson. One the Heels spread the floor and gave Lawson space, it was a done deal. This is exactly why Dook has struggled in the tourney. As we all know, the big dance is all about guard play, and when this Dook squad runs into a guard capable of breaking you down, they have no defense for it.

I have to admit, I got satisfaction out of seeing the temperature thing backfire against the Dookies last night. Make no mistake, its always a few degrees warmer in Cameron than normal when UNC comes to town. Crucial to the run was when twice in a row, the Dookies turned it over because someone had slipped on the sweaty floor.

Coach K is absolutely masterful at creating unique schemes to attack or guard against specific situations. He's got to be one of the best X & O coaches in the game. The difference last night was physical ability, pure and simple. Dook just doesn't have anyone physically gifted enough to guard Lawson. One the Heels spread the floor and gave Lawson space, it was a done deal. This is exactly why Dook has struggled in the tourney. As we all know, the big dance is all about guard play, and when this Dook squad runs into a guard capable of breaking you down, they have no defense for it.

I'm not arguing that K is one of the best, if not the best X and O out there. Just saying that Roy adjusted very well to his scheme and it showed in the 2nd half.

Now, I know that you're not a K apologist, so don't think that I'm aiming this at you, but I find it hilarious the amount of slack K gets for doing so well with undermanned teams. Undermanned? It's not like he's coaching at Western Carolina. This is freaking Duke. They're pulling top 10 classes every year. He's just apparently picking the wrong guys amongst the batch of blue chips. Who's fault is that?

"If only coach K had what Roy has". Again, who's fault is that?

Great college coaches need to be not only x and o guys but also GMs. K's abilities in that 2nd department have really slipped badly of late.

I'm not arguing that K is one of the best, if not the best X and O out there. Just saying that Roy adjusted very well to his scheme and it showed in the 2nd half.

Now, I know that you're not a K apologist, so don't think that I'm aiming this at you, but I find it hilarious the amount of slack K gets for doing so well with undermanned teams. Undermanned? It's not like he's coaching at Western Carolina. This is freaking Duke. They're pulling top 10 classes every year. He's just apparently picking the wrong guys amongst the batch of blue chips. Who's fault is that?

"If only coach K had what Roy has". Again, who's fault is that?

Great college coaches need to be not only x and o guys but also GMs. K's abilities in that 2nd department have really slipped badly of late.

well, they recruit differently for starters - K comes from the Bob Knight school and obviously has a thing for white, slow of foot, smart PG's.

he is over the Corey Maggette's of the world- and is making an effort to recruit more kids who will be in the program for 3-4 years - not sure how smart of an idea that is, but..........

Roy is one of the best at recruiting no doubt- and you can spout off all you want about Dook having top 10 classes - fine - the reality is they have 2 guys who would get quality run with NC - Henderson and Singler - the rest are role players for the most part

Scheyer and Paulus aren't starting for UNC - so, the reality is UNC has a hugh talent advantage all over the floor with these squads - period

I don't really care to care to have a "if coach K had what Roy has" argument - I just was making the point that K maximizes his players talent and roles better than Roy and with the talent UNC has I think K would take them to another level.... just my opinion.

Roy has show he can do a pretty good job of not getting all he can out of some seriously talented squads. Great coach all around, just overrated in my book

whatever - UNC is right there and we will see if they can get it done when it counts

Edited by wildcat2334

well, they recruit differently for starters - K comes from the Bob Knight school and obviously has a thing for white, slow of foot, smart PG's.

he is over the Corey Maggette's of the world- and is making an effort to recruit more kids who will be in the program for 3-4 years - not sure how smart of an idea that is, but..........

Roy is one of the best at recruiting no doubt- and you can spout off all you want about Dook having top 10 classes - fine - the reality is they have 2 guys who would get quality run with NC - Henderson and Singler - the rest are role players for the most part

Scheyer and Paulus aren't starting for UNC - so, the reality is UNC has a hugh talent advantage all over the floor with these squads - period

I don't really care to care to have a "if coach K had what Roy has" argument - I just was making the point that K maximizes his players talent and roles better than Roy and with the talent UNC has I think K would take them to another level.... just my opinion.

Roy has show he can do a pretty good job of not getting all he can out of some seriously talented squads. Great coach all around, just overrated in my book

whatever - UNC is right there and we will see if they can get it done when it counts

Trust me, I'm not arguing that K doesn't get as much out of his players as he can, and likely more than anyone else out there. However, I just don't see what point it is to make that argument considering that half the battle is getting the horses to begin with, and K has every advantage than other schools do. If he chooses to target a certain type of player and that player just doesn't happen to have the tools to compete on the elite level. Well, sucks for him, because it's not like he's at some mid major that has to find away to compete with everyone's left-overs.

So, sure. Maybe if you just switched coaches right now, K could do more with Roy's guys than Roy is. However, that ain't gonna happen. So, for the time being, K, in all his genius, is going to have to figure out how he can somehow manage to parlay his legendary status as a premier coach of one of the most premier programs in one of the most high profile conferences, with a barrage of TV spots, and exposure as the USA basketball coach, into a team that go far into the tourney. And if he can't manage that, well, sucks for him.

Another thing that gets lost in the discussion is that it's not like Duke is rebuilding. It's not like they just lost a ton of guys as so often happens in the game. I mean, that's part of the deal in college ball. Even the top teams have years when all their good players leave. Well, who left Duke last year to make it so they have all of 2 players who'd see meaningful time at UNC? Nobody really. So, what's his excuse?