[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looking for a good chili recipe

tonyr0802

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uncovered. Simmering for over two hours uncovered will reduce it by at least 2 cups worth of liquid. Also if it still isn't thick enough you can make a slurry out of water and corn starch, it will thicken it right up. 4-5 tsp corn starch in 1/4 cup of water should do the trick.

This is correct. I like my chili on the thick side too and this always ends up perfect consistency. Also, I usually cook it a day before I eat it - ie... letting it sit overnight really brings out the flavor - then I eat it for the next week. Glad you enjoyed, FWmaker!!

• 5 months later...

Well, went camping w/ my son's Boy Scout Troop last week (I'm an Asst Scoutmaster). Made 2 dutch ovens of Kid Cid's/Brentastic's Chile. One for the Adult Leaders of our Troop and one for the Camp Dutch Oven Contest. For the one in-site, I also added a cornbread topping. Came out awesome!

For the contest, I had to leave the topping off as I was working with a lower capacity dutch oven (one w/ a domed lid that I couldn't put coals on top of - this would have doomed the cornbread anyway). Won hands down (about 12 entrants). Had to use the slurry in both pots. Thanks for the tip.

Was probably the best meal we had for the week (food services sukked). That AM, I also threw together a Mountain Man Omelette in the Dutch Oven. Very good as well.

Well, went camping w/ my son's Boy Scout Troop last week (I'm an Asst Scoutmaster). Made 2 dutch ovens of Kid Cid's/Brentastic's Chile. One for the Adult Leaders of our Troop and one for the Camp Dutch Oven Contest. For the one in-site, I also added a cornbread topping. Came out awesome!

For the contest, I had to leave the topping off as I was working with a lower capacity dutch oven (one w/ a domed lid that I couldn't put coals on top of - this would have doomed the cornbread anyway). Won hands down (about 12 entrants). Had to use the slurry in both pots. Thanks for the tip.

Was probably the best meal we had for the week (food services sukked). That AM, I also threw together a Mountain Man Omelette in the Dutch Oven. Very good as well.

Cool!

Um.... what is a "Mountain Man Omlette"?

• 1 year later...

:wacko:

Very cool and thanks for sharing. Sorry I'm a year late in my response. This post could use a bump since we're entering chili season.

I don't have a recipe for you but my tips are to

start with fresh or whole canned tomatoes and roast them before putting them in the pot

Throw a few of those canned chipotles in sauce into the blender and add it in

Aim for a bit too much chili powder and then mellow it out with juuust enough brown sugar at the end

Nothing groundbreaking

• 1 month later...
:tup: the hotter the better!!

I agree. Unfortunately, there are few that appreciate a good chili with good heat and deep flavor. They can't get past the burning, crying and OMGing from their little nancy mouths. :wacko: Truly hot food is a beautiful thing.

1 Rattle Snake (Head removed, skinned, filleted, and ground. Keep the head)

1.5 LB of ground beef

5 Jalapenos FINELY chopped (guess "minced" would be appropriate here)

5 TBSP ground red chili

4 TBSP Ground Cumin

1/2 TSP Celery Seed

2 TBSP Onion Powder

3 Tsp Garlic powder or 3 cloves of garlic

1 Can Light Red Kidney Beans

1 Can of Dark Red Kidney Beans

2 Big cans of Tomato sauce (or make yer own from fresh tomatoes)

1 Small Can beef broth

1 Onion (Yellow) diced

2 Ribs of celery (diced)

1 Red Bell (you can use roasted if you like)

1 Green bell

1 Tsp Dave's Insanity Sauce or one Habanero/Dutch Bonnet pepper minced

Salt and pepper to taste.

Brown the meats. Sweat all the veggies in same pot as the meats were browned. then combine the rest of the stuff. I cook this for a few hours to break down the rattler. Pop the rattler head on top of the pot lid to let people know this sh!t will kill you.

*Measurements are guesstimated.

I did this last night and it was FANTASTIC! Added some bell pepper and used ground beef and diced beef and it was sooooo good. The cornbread slurry was perfect as well as the semi sweet chocolate!

quote name='kingfish247' date='10/29/09 4:36pm' post='2999000']

Can't beat a classic--Chili Con Carne with Cornbread. Not classicaly prepared but it comes damn close...

Ingredients

1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes

2 teaspoons minced chipotle chiles in adobo sauce

4 slices bacon , chopped fine

1 (3 1/2- to 4-pound) boneless beef chuck-eye roast , trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces

Salt and pepper

1 onion , chopped fine

1 jalapeño chile , seeded and chopped fine (more if you like it hot)

3 tablespoons chili powder

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

4 garlic cloves , minced

4 cups water (substitute some water for a good beer)

1 tablespoon brown sugar

2 tablespoons yellow corn muffin mix

1 bar semi-sweet chocolate

Instructions

1. Process tomatoes and chipotle in food processor/blender until smooth. Cook bacon in Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate and reserve 3 tablespoons bacon fat.

2. Pat beef dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon reserved bacon fat in empty Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking. Brown half of beef, about 8 minutes. Transfer to bowl and repeat with additional tablespoon bacon fat and remaining beef.

3. Add remaining bacon fat, onion, and jalapeño to empty Dutch oven and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano, and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in water, pureed tomato mixture, bacon, browned beef, and sugar and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Skim fat and continue to simmer uncovered until meat is tender, 30 to 45 minutes.

4. Ladle 1 cup chili liquid into medium bowl and stir in muffin mix; cover with plastic wrap. Microwave until mixture is thickened, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk mixture into chili and simmer until chili is slightly thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in chocolate. Serve. (Chili can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.)

Cornbread

1 cup white cornmeal

2 cups yellow cornmeal

1 tbls. baking powder

1/2 teas. salt

6 eggs

1 14oz. can creamed corn

1 cup buttermilk

1/4 lb. butter (2 tbls. to oil the skillet, the rest goes in the batter)

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

2. Mix white cornmeal, yellow cornmeal, baking powder, and salt (if you like sweet cornbread, add 1/4 cup to dry mix).

3. In separate bowl with wooden spoon, mix creamed corn, buttermilk, eggs, and 6 tbls. of melted butter together until smooth.

4. Stir in cornmeal dry mixture.

5. After melting 2 tbls. of butter in cast iron skillet, skillet should be hot. Pour in batter and bake for 18-20 minutes. The center should be firm.

*If no skillet, use an 8x8x1 baking dish. Just spray with non-stick spray. Preheat in the oven for a few minutes. Add the butter. Cook as above.