[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

American Idol

Menudo

Thw whole family really enjoyed the full 2-hours last night. When they first announced it would be a two-hour show, I thought "Geez, they're really gonna drag this out". But all the performances were entertaining, save for a select few (didn't really get the Steve Martin banjo thing...I was waiting for the punchlines to be interjected and they never came).

I really really enjoyed Adam singing "Beth"...but I thought he blew "Rock and Roll All Night"...just not the right voice to insert for Paul Stanley's deeper voice. I equate his voice to more an Axel Rose. Seeing KISS onstage, though, was a real treat.

As was Rod Stewart singing "Maggie May"....a true rock legend, and even though the scratchy voice is fading, I thought he was excellent.

BTW, I think America got the vote right....while Adam is much more versatile than Kris, Kris is exceptional when singing within his comfort zone (which is obviously where he'll make is mark). And American Idol is more than a singing contest, as Simon always reminds us when he critiques contestants stage presence, their attire, their ability to work the crowd, etc...its about the whole package, and Kris obviosuly appeals to more average Americans (and women) than Adam. Surprised that many felt it was a shock....

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought both nights were great. the first night was all performances, mixing things up nicely with the reprise song, new song, and bad kara song. last night was just non-stop performances, with the awards thrown in to remind us of the quirkiness/sub-culture of the show. how they mixed up the idols and gave them all another shot at the stage was cool and there were just some legendary performers ... kiss, queen, stewart.

i do think kris will be a commercial hit. he has a lot of soul in his voice and he can lend his style to different genres. it will be very interesting to see what happens with adam next. i would think some bands would want to pull him in as a front man.

I think Ryan's line to bikini girl, "I was going to ask you what's new, but I think we can all see that" was the line of the night. I laughed for 5 minutes. :wacko:

+1

That was great. I'm sure I will be ridiculed for this statement, but, I think Ryan Seacrest is pretty good at what he does. Sure, he has some cheezy jokes, but, he handles a lot of stuff on the fly and does it pretty well.

+1

That was great. I'm sure I will be ridiculed for this statement, but, I think Ryan Seacrest is pretty good at what he does. Sure, he has some cheezy jokes, but, he handles a lot of stuff on the fly and does it pretty well.

Seacrest is a pompous El Guapo.

Oh, and I'm sorry everybody, but Adam is not that great a singer. He's mostly in tune, but he routinely misses notes. When he goes into his really high register, he's almost always in a key of his own -- not the key of the song (and that's just another way of saying he's "pitchy").

I'm not a huge fan of his -- I find the contstant over the top glam wankfest quite tiresome -- but on this particular criticism I am pretty sure you are just factually incorrect. his pitch is actually remarkably good, and his overall vocal control throughout his entire range is outstanding. guy can flat out sing. between him and gokey combined, they may have hit 5 iffy notes the whole season. kris and allison were good too, but not quite AS good in that department.

Kris is the better singer. Adam has more flair, and better range But Adams voice doesnt compare on the same song they both sang last night and Kris sang after he won. . As a result, America got it right.

Kris is also much more talented. Dude plays guitar and the piano. Adam screetchs real well.

I'm not sure how you get this. I think your thinking that Kris is a better musician, as he definitely is. Plays guitar and piano very well. He is definitely NOT a better singer. His voice doesn't have any where near the volume, quality tone, intonation, or range that Adam has. That was very obvious. However, I do think people got tired of his high notes. This vote was not based on who was the best singer or performer. Kris is talented and I actually thought his response to winning was honest and from the gut. He's a great talent and level headed kid.

Edited by NAUgrad

it's a popularity contest in the end and kris is more likable and less contraversial. personally, i greatly prefer kris as a vocalist to adam because i think he brings more heart and soul and feeling. adam brings more flash and showmanship, which i like in part, but, for me for you, that upper register is annoying as hell, not even in the same camp as the wails from robert plant.

it would have been a hoot to see axl rose as an american idol contestant. i wonder how far he would have made it ...

I'm not sure how you get this. I think your thinking that Kris is a better musician, as he definitely is. Plays guitar and piano very well. He is definitely NOT a better singer. His voice doesn't have any where near the volume, quality tone, intonation, or range that Adam has. That was very obvious. However, I do think people got tired of his high notes. This vote was not based on who was the best singer or performer. Kris is talented and I actually thought his response to winning was honest and from the gut. He's a great talent and level headed kid.

notice, the musician aspect was in a seperate paragragh as the better singer aspect. No confusion there.

Aint no Sunshine, was amazing. Kris can really sing. Adam may have more range, but his voice isnt as good.

some of the best artists in our lifetime just sing. Adam is a cross between Freddy Mercury and Steven Tyler. You eihter like them or you dont.

Kris is more well rounded. This dude put a stamp in a positive way on almost every song he sang. And he will appeal more to mainstream America.

Adam added his screetch to every song, and ruined Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire. Dude should have been voted off on the spot for that rendition.

Edited by Sgt Ryan

I don't think bikini bimbo was in on the kara coming out thing, she stopped singing and looked stunned, then tried to pick the song back up but mostly just sat there with a blank stare on her face like lunch time for breakfast???

Rumor is that she had no idea Kara was coming out. If true, it makes the skit 10 times better. I need to go back and watch the look on her face. I was too busy staring at her jugs.

Rumor is that she had no idea Kara was coming out. If true, it makes the skit 10 times better. I need to go back and watch the look on her face. I was too busy staring at her jugs.

I thought Kara was tall, but bikini girl, though in heals, towered over her.

Maybe comparing kara to Paula is why I thought she was tall, either way, I was stunned seeing bikini girl that much taller/bigger than Kara.

The Kara / Bikini Girl thing was a near copy of the Clay Aiken / overly gay wannabee fan thing from a few years ago.

The Bikini Girl "what's new?" comment was the same thing he said to the blonde bimbo Pickler when she got hers done. Pickler was oblivious to it as well.

Only bad performance from last night was probably the roughneck and chicken dancer duet. That one really sucked.

Goes to show us how much work the winners put in each week as they have to perform their own 3 songs along with 5 or so for the finale. That's alot of voice time and word memorization. (Was why Castro from last year was really glad when he got voted off).

Edited by Riffraff

Anyone notice Heather Locklear when they panned the crowd?? She looked like she had some bad surgery. Nose and face looked very plastic.

If you have it on DVR it was around the 1:28 mark. She does not look good.

I don't think it's bad surgery. Its just age. Hell she was on my bedroom wall when I was in High School. Make-up and bad lights can make anybody look like a botox nightmare. Just so you know, AI does not use the typical feature/television show lighting system. They use "stage lighting", which is not very good for audience reaction shots.

I'm not a huge fan of his -- I find the contstant over the top glam wankfest quite tiresome -- but on this particular criticism I am pretty sure you are just factually incorrect. his pitch is actually remarkably good, and his overall vocal control throughout his entire range is outstanding. guy can flat out sing. between him and gokey combined, they may have hit 5 iffy notes the whole season. kris and allison were good too, but not quite AS good in that department.

I don't think he's incapable of staying in key, but he chooses (too often) to take the lyrics and "run" to different notes that aren't part of the melody or in the same key as the song. I'd say, out of all the times he took a song into his high register, he stayed in the right key about 60% of the time. So, yeah, he missed waaaay more than five notes over the season. I could honestly sit here with the pause button and pick at least a dozen notes he missed in last night's performances alone.

Danny, on the other hand, was virtually pitch-perfect all year. Allison would probably be the next-best in that category, followed by Kris, who didn't really have a problem hitting notes (he was just a little vanilla for my taste).

I don't think he's incapable of staying in key, but he chooses (too often) to take the lyrics and "run" to different notes that aren't part of the melody or in the same key as the song. I'd say, out of all the times he took a song into his high register, he stayed in the right key about 60% of the time. So, yeah, he missed waaaay more than five notes over the season. I could honestly sit here with the pause button and pick at least a dozen notes he missed in last night's performances alone.

sorry man, you're just wrong. if it's a note you're not expecting, it's because he's changing the melody by using an alternate pitch in the same key -- i.e., an octave higher than the pitch you're expecting, or a fifth higher, or a fourth. you may not like what he's doing with the melody, but they are intentional choices and he hit 99.9% of the notes dead on.

fwiw, I just read what you wrote to my conservatory-trained musician wife. her response, "that's crazy."

Edited by Azazello1313

sorry man, you're just wrong. if it's a note you're not expecting, it's because he's changing the melody by using an alternate pitch in the same key -- i.e., an octave higher than the pitch you're expecting, or a fifth higher, or a fourth. you may not like what he's doing with the melody, but they are intentional choices and he hit 99.9% of the notes dead on.

fwiw, I just read what you wrote to my conservatory-trained musician wife. her response, "that's crazy."

I'm surprised to hear you (and your wife) say that. My mom was a professional singer, and I grew up in chorus classes -- maybe my ears are malfunctioning, but I know an off note when I hear one.

And during the finale, he missed plenty of notes that weren't even in the high-register category. Watch it again, bro -- he was being lazy that night.

I'm surprised to hear you (and your wife) say that. My mom was a professional singer, and I grew up in chorus classes -- maybe my ears are malfunctioning, but I know an off note when I hear one.

And during the finale, he missed plenty of notes that weren't even in the high-register category. Watch it again, bro -- he was being lazy that night.

What? You're surprised to hear that Az is right and you're wrong? Are you new here? :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...