[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Obama address to Congress

I Like Soup

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i feel nauseous ...things suck in the economic world and it just feels like this will go on for quite some time

Agreed. Obama is a great speaker and certainly comes across as giving hope...but knowing what is in that stimulus package just makes it sound a little disingenuous.

I like the whole bit about Wind Turbines and Solar Panels....and some of the other stuff...

but extending unemployment is a bit much...

As is creating factories here at home so we can compete with the rest of the world...ain't gonna happen. In a global economy, labor is not our strong suit as far as costs.

I am depressed after watching that. I just read something that sums up my feelings on obama's young presidency pretty well...

Obama seems to have a difficult time shifting from campaign rhetoric–where drive-by mischaracterizations of political and ideological opponents are the coin of the realm–and governing, where a president in the midst of a crisis might just want to start talking honestly, instead of blowing smoke up the nation's collective arse about the 3.5 million jobs that will be "created or saved" (no really, think about it) as a result of his magic wand.

seriously, all he did was attack bush, and list off a whole heaping schitload of new government spending he's going to implement. that's it. the budget he's sending to congress represents an 8% increase over the previous year, and that's BEFORE you count the massive spendulus bill.

Really? I'd like to know how that fits into his 10 year plan.

I misspoke slightly. it's the bill the house passed. here's a link to the article I posted earlier today. I'm willing to bet though that that number (8%) is pretty close to what they end up signing into law. there is no seriousness whatsoever when it comes to restraining spending, as you heard tonight.

Did Bobby Jindal just use the Katrina government failure as proof government doesn't work?

Did he really mean the republican congress went along with massive government spending rather than creating. Bush didn't veto anything but stem cells but the republican congress passed those bills for 6 out of the 8 years.

I guess an outsider had to make the speech because most of the congress had dirt on their hands.

Obama's speech had what seemed like a lot of spending but I want to see the details. I liked how he said this is an opportunity to remake the country though.

I misspoke slightly. it's the bill the house passed. here's a link to the article I posted earlier today. I'm willing to bet though that that number (8%) is pretty close to what they end up signing into law. there is no seriousness whatsoever when it comes to restraining spending, as you heard tonight.

I thought Obama's budget was something else entirely.

I thought Jindal would use the stage he had tonight to give people a heads up on the atrocity being formed in the house now. If some fragment of the GOP wants to return to fiscal responsibility, they should be shining a spotlight on ths crap.

Did he really mean the republican congress went along with massive government spending rather than creating. Bush didn't veto anything but stem cells but the republican congress passed those bills for 6 out of the 8 years.

He did say republicans were to blame, he just didn't go far enough.

Any ideas on why the Dems did virtually nothing to oppose Bush once they gained control? They seem to have been given a free pass on this and I haven't figured out why.

Any ideas on why the Dems did virtually nothing to oppose Bush once they gained control? They seem to have been given a free pass on this and I haven't figured out why.

I'm sure a good majority of them had there hands in Iraq in some capacity. But I agree on the free pass.

No comprende. Very few bills were generated from Congress when Bush got into the latter part of the his 2nd term (actually he largely became a lame duck in 2004 amongst Repubs). Dems didn't have 66% majority in both houses in Congress to over ride a veto; any opposition would have been a monumental waste of energy. Not really sure what you are suggesting here.

Because they are a disorganized group. I've noticed that for years. The Republicans have always been more disiplinedwhen it came to keeping people in-line.

It was a nice speech, now let's see if he can pull it off and I'm willing to give him 4 years to see what he can do....

Dangit! I really want to get on board with Obama! I mean it, I really do!

He captivates my attention about where he thinks our country needs improvement:

ENERGY INDEPENDENCE, HEALTHCARE, EDUCATION... okay I'm right there with him. He breaks down what has gotten us to where we are and how these three pillars can get us back to where we need to be... for all of this, I am there... YES! I agree Obama! We need to be more transparent and correct our inefficiencies in Washington and on main street...yes, yes, go on...we will hold accountable reckless spending and adding earmarks for pet projects that don't create jobs and or help the economy...WOHOO!! Preach it Obama!

And we are gonna accomplish this by growing gov't to unprecedented size and scope, and by spending obnoxious amounts of your tax money to make sure this happens....and this is where he loses me again...

:wacko:

Meh, I just feel its the private individual that makes America great, where he see it as the government that makes it great! Just a truly fundamental difference! I want to be there, again I truly believe he has the right items to correct on his agenda...can someone talk me into why his way IS better?

Edited by millerx

Dangit! I really want to get on board with Obama! I mean it, I really do!

He captivates my attention about where he thinks our country needs improvement:

ENERGY INDEPENDENCE, HEALTHCARE, EDUCATION... okay I'm right there with him. He breaks down what has gotten us to where we are and how these three pillars can get us back to where we need to be... for all of this, I am there... YES! I agree Obama! We need to be more transparent and correct our inefficiencies in Washington and on main street...yes, yes, go on...we will hold accountable reckless spending and adding earmarks for pet projects that don't create jobs and or help the economy...WOHOO!! Preach it Obama!

And we are gonna accomplish this by growing gov't to unprecedented size and scope, and by spending obnoxious amounts of your tax money to make sure this happens....and this is where he loses me again...

Meh, I just feel its the private individual that makes America great, where he see it as the government that makes it great! Just a truly fundamental difference! I want to be there, again I truly believe he has the right items to correct on his agenda...can someone talk me into why his way IS better?

There are certain things the private sector and greed driven free markets cannot and will not fix. Energy independence, healthcare, and education as you point out are exactly those type of things. We've seen how financial markets misbehave when the individual is in charge. We need serious leadership for these problems. Serious coordination that can only be provided from a strong federal government. Have they proven they can handle such tasks? Absolutely not. But that's the only way these issues unfortunately can ever really be addressed in a fundamental way. Just my opinion of course.

A - We just spent the last 8 years growing govt. to unprecedented size and scope,that will never alone make us great.

B- It matters what we spend that money on; even and/or especially if it comes from govt.

C - Although the individual truly makes America great,your insinuation that less regulation automatically helps our nation hits a big F'n hurdle called reality.

D - Back to the insinuation. If you guys had your way during WW2 we would be speaking German or Japanese.

Probably the best thing for the government to do would be to cross its fingers and hope the profiteers who got us into this mess can figure it out.