[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Obama address to Congress

I Like Soup

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A - We just spent the last 8 years growing govt. to unprecedented size and scope,that will never alone make us great.

B- It matters what we spend that money on; even and/or especially if it comes from govt.

C - Although the individual truly makes America great,your insinuation that less regulation automatically helps our nation hits a big F'n hurdle called reality.

D - Back to the insinuation. If you guys had your way during WW2 we would be speaking German or Japanese.

No insinuation was intended...however, I can understand (from reading your previous posts you seem to have an itchy trigger finger)why you might want to jump to that conclusion. Actually, I can see where some regulation and oversight is in order, this is not an issue with me as I do not have a full "lazie faire" approach to the economy. And even though as you love to point out, it has grown the past 8 years, how is that an answer for why it should do even more. More importantly, why can't Obama say, "well we may need to grow gov't. here but we can shrink gov't in these places!" Methinks it is because his party never sees why there isn't a need for gov't involvement. The real hurdle for me is that once the gov't gets involved in anything, it's worse than pulling teeth for them to relinquish control. It about power to these guys, and that's the reality. Not that the repubs have done any better in this regard over the last 8 years... they lost my trust as Bobby Jindal said.

Just get me over these roadblocks and I'm ready to give it a go! Oh and BTW, I Iean the opposite of your democrats, but that shouldn't classify me as a "you guys". This and my last post can be my evidence of this.

And even though as you love to point out, it has grown the past 8 years, how is that an answer for why it should do even more.

Because, that is going to be the lieberal response to any criticism to what Obama might try to do. ;irishwinktobush:

No insinuation was intended...however, I can understand (from reading your previous posts you seem to have an itchy trigger finger)why you might want to jump to that conclusion. Actually, I can see where some regulation and oversight is in order, this is not an issue with me as I do not have a full "lazie faire" approach to the economy. And even though as you love to point out, it has grown the past 8 years, how is that an answer for why it should do even more. More importantly, why can't Obama say, "well we may need to grow gov't. here but we can shrink gov't in these places!" Methinks it is because his party never sees why there isn't a need for gov't involvement. The real hurdle for me is that once the gov't gets involved in anything, it's worse than pulling teeth for them to relinquish control. It about power to these guys, and that's the reality. Not that the repubs have done any better in this regard over the last 8 years... they lost my trust as Bobby Jindal said.

Just get me over these roadblocks and I'm ready to give it a go! Oh and BTW, I Iean the opposite of your democrats, but that shouldn't classify me as a "you guys". This and my last post can be my evidence of this.

I could have sworn he said something about big government not being the answer in and of itself. The fact remains that right now only the government has enough clout to even begin addressing the issues.

The banks have totally forfeited any right to complain from here on in.

Perhaps he could answer this question-"Name one piece of pork"

It's short enough to quote.

From the February 23 edition of MSNBC Live:

O'DONNELL: But what about what we just heard Barack Obama say about a new era of responsibility and fiscal restraint? Let's bring in Republican strategist John Feehery. John, you were just here squirming in your chair as the president was speaking. What's the big deal?

FEEHERY: Well, you passed the biggest, pork-filled stimulus -- whatever you want to call it -- bill in history, and now you're talking about fiscal responsibility. They should have talked about it before they did this bill; it would have been a better bill. If they would have cut this bill in half, geared it right to stimulus, I think a lot of economists including Alice Rivlin would have said that was the right approach. But they go first with this huge pork bill --

O'DONNELL: Name one piece of pork.

FEEHERY: Uh, well -- you can't do that to me right now. I can't think of it right now. But it's a huge bunch of stuff that we don't even know what's in there.

O'DONNELL: Well, the reason I ask you that -- I don't mean to put you on the spot and everything -- but it's not pork. A lot of people say what it is is infrastructure spending. It is spending that is stimulative. That's what the White House says.

Scarborough was surprised by Politifact on "Morning Joe" that the mouse protection argument was completely false. He said, "You mean the Republicans LIED to me?" :wacko::D

Edited by cre8tiff

not enough enemy/ hate speach for Yah??

Did you catch the part about when the Republicans were cheering something and then Obama wisecracked about "the deficit *I* inherited" and the Democrats started mocking their cheer with their own cheer. These people are schoolchildren. I can't believe they spend most of the day calling each other "honorable" and kissing each other's ass.

I do not want these people making decisions for me. They are completely unqualified for the task. Period.

Did you catch the part about when the Republicans were cheering something and then Obama wisecracked about "the deficit *I* inherited" and the Democrats started mocking their cheer with their own cheer. These people are schoolchildren. I can't believe they spend most of the day calling each other "honorable" and kissing each other's ass.

I do not want these people making decisions for me. They are completely unqualified for the task. Period.

sounds like the british parliament.

It's short enough to quote.

Scarborough was surprised by Politifact on "Morning Joe" that the mouse protection argument was completely false. He said, "You mean the Republicans LIED to me?" :wacko::D

Whether or not there is pork these bills are simply spending we can not afford. You realize that in one month Obama has put us in more debt than the war in Iraq has cost us in 6 years.

Whether or not there is pork these bills are simply spending we can not afford. You realize that in one month Obama has put us in more debt than the war in Iraq has cost us in 6 years.

Shipping pallet loads of cash overseas is not the same thing as recycling the money through our own economy.

Shipping pallet loads of cash overseas is not the same thing as recycling the money through our own economy.

Most of the equipment being used over seas was built here, most of the shipping was done by American's using American vehicles, most of the people doing the work are Americans. The left is writing checks we can't cover.

Most of the equipment being used over seas was built here, most of the shipping was done by American's using American vehicles, most of the people doing the work are Americans. The left is writing checks we can't cover.

He is being literal. Pallets of $100 bills amounting to billions of dollars were shipped by aircraft fleet to Iraq and promptly lost / given away but in any case are unaccounted for.

Did he say he was going to cure cancer in the first year or reform healthcare?

That Louisiana Indian afterwards sure sounded confused.

How does that Louisiana dude have the time to govern his state and read the stimulus bill in his spare time? The same stimulus bill that supposedly got passed without much reading going on in the first place.

He is being literal. Pallets of $100 bills amounting to billions of dollars were shipped by aircraft fleet to Iraq and promptly lost / given away but in any case are unaccounted for.

Like the taxes of Obama's cabinet? Has he got a Secretary of Commerce yet? Maybe the third time will be a charm. We can't trust the guy to vet his own cabinet, he comes from a state where politics are corrupt (hell everyone in the state is dirty except Obama), and we are supposed to trust him with what is the biggest group of spending bills ever passed in our history. I hope any short term help this gives us is worth the long term agony it is going to force on the tax payer. Granted less than 1/2 the people that voted for Obama actually pay taxes.