[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HUDDLERS' 2009 NFL MOCK DRAFT!

irish

Fingfootball is now on the clock selecting for the Chiefs here in the 3rd round.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theprofessor is now on the clock selecting for the Seahawks here in the 3rd round.

With the Seahawks selection I looked at the offensive line, outside linebacker position as well as getting a CB with some speed and more importantly some size. I decided though to go after a position where we lack the most depth and lack youth, safety. With Brian Russell in his 7th year and Deon Grant in his 9th season we need someone who can come in and contribute sooner, rather than later. I believe that Clemons is that guy. Russell is a liability in pass coverage and the addition of Clemons would allow the Seahawks to slide Grant over to free safety, a position that he is better suited.

Clemons has incredible speed, running the fastest time at the combine for defensive backs at 4.41. He is durable, a 3 year starter at Clemson that never missed a game because of injury. Very consistent in his coverage and great at run support , proven by his 323 career tackles. The Seahawks are fortunate to get Clemons in this spot as he will receive tutelage from two fine NFL safety's in Russell and Grant and could be in the starting line up in August.

Edited by theprofessor

Irish doesn't agree but I like Tyrone McKenzie LB South Florida. He is very versatile and for me a comparison would be Angelo Crowell. He can play multiple LB positions.

VS Steve Slaton

I think he's a talented player but hell they all are. His ability to line up in multiple positions may in fact be his best attribute along with size and durability. Otherwise, he doesn't play with power, is not a good tackler, bites hard on play-action, doesn't take on blockers well either falling off them or playing too tall/straight-legged without proper hip-flexion to drive through contact. I think he'll more than likely play a backup role and end up a contributor on special teams. I have a 5th-6th round grade for him, so taking him in the beginning of the 3rd is a bit of a reach. As I said to Randall, I feel that there were not only better players available out there at other positions of need but also better OLBs as well.

Just to update this, I have Pm'd all of my Cowboy comrades and have about 5-6 players I like myself and one I really like but I will discuss things with them and then make the pick. Hopefully we won't be too long.

ETA: By the way Randall, in that video of McKenzie making one tackle on Slaton, Owen Schmitt completely made the wrong block and instead of plastering McKenzie he turned to the inside leaving Slaton in the hole and McKenzie unblocked right in his face. Easy play for him to make quite honestly.

Edited by irish

ETA: By the way Randall, in that video of McKenzie making one tackle on Slaton, Owen Schmitt completely made the wrong block and instead of plastering McKenzie he turned to the inside leaving Slaton in the hole and McKenzie unblocked right in his face. Easy play for him to make quite honestly.

Not to minimize the guys ability but If you watch the replay slowly it was a pretty "weak" hit.

This is a great pick in my mind as Levitre is the best OG in this draft IMO and has a 2nd round grade and we were able to scoop him up in the 3rd round, after 2 OG have already gone off the board.

Levitre has played every position along the O-line except center and some folks out there think that may end up being the position he is best suited for in the Pros. Although, Levitre was named to the coaches' All-America team as a left tackle. A.L. is a very smart player who has a double degree from Oregon State and has a terrific feel for the game. Levitre has very few negatives and many more positives. Some of the negatives aren't even all that negative when you realize that he'll be switching from OT to OG and maybe C eventually. That said one of the gripes folks had was that he lacked ideal arm length which isn't as big an issue when you're going to play inside. The only other negatives are that he could improve in his explosiveness off the ball and could hit better and drive block better using a better hand punch and knee bend. He's strong and is able to be very efficient when pulling and picking off linebackers, sticking to them through the block. He seals off running lanes, takes solid angles, maintains great position, base and balance making sure to finish off blocks. Has very busy hands steering and controlling defenders. He is also very durable and very mature, something the Cowboys could benefit from. Levitre should start from day 1 and is very versatile being able to start at any one of the 3 interior O-line positions while also being able to fill in at OT since that's where he played in college as well.

I love the pick and my fellow Cowboy fans agreed.

Sox is currently on the clock selecting for the Bengals and since he's here already, I don't have to PM him. YES!!

Kpholmes and Return of S&B are on the clock selecting for the Raiders.

Sox is currently on the clock selecting for the Bengals and since he's here already, I don't have to PM him. YES!!

This pick would have been done much quicker if you hadn't taken the player I wanted,you bastiche. :wacko:

I was torn,go need or best player?I selected the best player on my board,Cornelius Ingram.Reggie Kelley is getting long in the tooth,and last years FA acquisition Ben Utecht seems to be perpetually injured and dropping the ball when he isn't.This fills both a need and is a good player,and I avoided reaching for a defensive player just to help the defense.

He has a ton of upside,and the Bengals coaching staff is looking forward to ruining his NFL career.

This pick would have been done much quicker if you hadn't taken the player I wanted,you bastiche. :wacko:

Sorry. I kept my fingers crossed as the Cowboys' pick was approaching thinking that he was going to be selected right before me and then I did it to you. :D

Hey!! Guys!! Listen up!!

Could you guys stop taking players the Chargers are looking at in this round? Huh?

yeah? no?

And to add alittle something here...the Chargers not getting a 3rd round supp for Turner is a complete joke. I'd love to see there criteria on how they award those supp picks.

Raiders are able to address their three biggest needs in the first three rounds by capping off with WR Juaquin Iglesias. Nice possession receiver that would compliment Higgins speed nicely. All three picks were best available at a position of need, rather than reaching for a position needed.

If Raiders went DT, WR, OL in the first three rounds in any order - The Raider Nation would be very pleased.

Look for Al to maybe go with a Safety or Defensive End in any of those rounds or later if the value is right.

Seahawks21 is currently on the clock selecting for the Jaguars.

Raiders are able to address their three biggest needs in the first three rounds by capping off with WR Juaquin Iglesias. Nice possession receiver that would compliment Higgins speed nicely. All three picks were best available at a position of need, rather than reaching for a position needed.

If Raiders went DT, WR, OL in the first three rounds in any order - The Raider Nation would be very pleased.

Look for Al to maybe go with a Safety or Defensive End in any of those rounds or later if the value is right.

Very good pick...I was going to pick him with the Vikes 2nd pick, but went with CB instead. I think he will go in the second round.

I can jump in if needed.

Go for it as Seahawks has missed a couple picks already and I believe was delayed awhile on one other pick.

The Jaguars have a huge need at the WR position and I'm a little surprised that they didn't fill this need in the 1st 2 rounds? With the loss of Matt Jones, Jerry Porter and probably Reggie Williams the Jaguars will need to bring in some talent for David Garrard.

This pick might surprise some in here and it is a bit of a sentimental pick for me as this kid has been to my home and was one of my son's best friends through High School. From Washington State University, Wide Receiver Brandon Gibson.

This kids got unlimited potential and had a huge Junior season for the Cougars with 67 receptions, 1,180 yards and 9 touchdowns. He was very close to leaving for the NFL after his junior year but decided to fulfill a comitment that he made to his mom to graduate and finish his senior year. Brandon's numbers plummetted in his senior year because the Cougars were putrid on offense with a trio of horrible Quarterbacks.

Brandon was projected to be a late 1st round, early 2nd round pick after his junior year but because of the season the Cougars had this past year he has fallen back into the 3rd round. He's a tremendous athlete who can get deep and also make the tough catch over the middle. I watched Brandon almost single handedly beat my Huskies in Husky stadium as a junior as he caught two long TD passes in the 2nd half to bring the Cougars from behind to win the game. Sentiment aside this Kid has "star" written all over him and fills a huge need for the Jacksonville Jaguars. This pick will be looked back as one of the "steals" of the draft!

Edited by theprofessor

Randall, PON and Stingers are now on the clock selecting for the Packers.

I've been waiting to hear from PON(emailed and PM'd him) but don't want to delay the draft until tonight so the Pack took zone blocking offensive tackle/guard Troy Kropog from Tulane.

If Tauscher can't go until october we need a tackle to develop.

I've been waiting to hear from PON(emailed and PM'd him) but don't want to delay the draft until tonight so the Pack took zone blocking offensive tackle/guard Troy Kropog from Tulane.

He should help the Packers. Good pick!

I've PM'd Irish... I don't have time to make the next pick. Leaving shortly for Vegas, and unfortunately, I haven't stayed entirely caught up on who has been taken in the past 15-20 picks. I would say, given that we already went OLB/DE and OT in rounds 1/2, the Niners could use a CB, S, LB, WR, RB, or QB at this point... pretty much the best value available. :wacko:

I've PM'd Irish... I don't have time to make the next pick. Leaving shortly for Vegas, and unfortunately, I haven't stayed entirely caught up on who has been taken in the past 15-20 picks. I would say, given that we already went OLB/DE and OT in rounds 1/2, the Niners could use a CB, S, LB, WR, RB, or QB at this point... pretty much the best value available. :wacko:

Irish doesn't seem to be around. Any other 49'er fans want to do this?

I really like this pick grabbing Kropog. Both Clifton and Tauscher's performance dropped off last year and more depth is needed. The Pack like Breno Giacomini's upside at RT and Spitz is pretty versatile himself but Kropog can solidify this group even more. He should play on the left side.

Irish doesn't seem to be around. Any other 49'er fans want to do this?

Just got home and will make a selection once I get myself together. I have some thoughts but if anyone wants to chime in, I'm always willing to listen.

I took at look at the 49ers biggest areas of need and then at the available rookie talent at those positions of need. I was able to narrow it down to 2 players as I feel the Niners could upgrade their defensive backfiled. Mark Roman the FS from last year was getting a little long in the tooth and was really beginning to suck big moose twig. He hasn't intercepted a pass or forced a fumble since '06. He has obviously lost a step and has blown his far share of coverages more recently. SS Michael Lewis is fair enough in run support but is inconsistent, at best, in coverage. Rashad Johnson should come in and be able to start at FS right away. He reads coverages and uses the field well. He has solid instincts, footwork, hands, ball skills and takes good angles. He attacks the ball like a WR, is very competitive and can be a game-changer. He is a reliable tackler and has good football smarts as he was put in the position to make the secondary calls, lining up the defense. He has also stood out on Special Teams and was a two-time captain. The couple issues with him are his ability to stay healthy as he is slight-framed and if he hits the weight room and builds up a bit he could be a very solid Pro.

Satelliteoflovegm and peepinmofo are on the clock selecting for the Bills here in the 3rd round.