[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Input from hunters welcome / needed

muck

I walked into Gander Mountain to see if they had any cheap ammo and noticed they have a bunch of riles on clearance. I walked out with a Handi-Rifle in 44 mag :D . They had if for 250 which is 50 off asking price. I just bought a piece of land here and I need something where I am unlikely to have a stray leave the tract and hit someone 1/4 mile away. It is a really cool rifle though. I can change calibers for $87.00 and even add shotgun and muzzleloader barrels. I'm about to order a 45-70 and 223 barrel monday. With shipping the total :wacko: will be less than $200. It is sort of a white trash weapon system and will serve as Jr.'s first big rifle. I can't wait to shoot. it as I have no idea what to expect as far as recoil and noise.

I have an Ultra-Rifle in .243 Win. It's the heavy-barrel and it shoots great. I put a cheap simmons 50mm 12-20X on it and couldn't miss clay pigeons lain against the berm 200 yards away.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^

Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops are having their annual sales events in August ... fwiw ...

Polk was right about that Savage setup. For what you pay for one of those you can chuck the cheap scope on it and put a $300 Leuopold on it and you have a nearly beanfield gun for $600.

Have you found a rifle yet?

I've been wondering about shooting slugs through my shotgun barrel instead.

Something tells me, though, that my SBE II won't like slugs very much. :wacko:

...honestly, I've had ZERO time to put into this since last March...maybe I will later this week or sometime next week...

I've been wondering about shooting slugs through my shotgun barrel instead.

Something tells me, though, that my SBE II won't like slugs very much. :wacko:

...honestly, I've had ZERO time to put into this since last March...maybe I will later this week or sometime next week...

I use my sbe 2 for deer in the " shot gun only zones" just be sure to have you're mod or improved choke in .. full is not good with slugs.

• 1 month later...

My cousin has a co-worker looking to sell a gun.

.243 Savage

approx 2yrs old

shot less than two boxes through it

3x9 scope (not sure of maker)

Selling b/c he inherited a .243 from his grandfather when he died.

Asking $300

Is a .243 enough for deer? At what range?

.243 Savage

approx 2yrs old

Asking $300

It is big enough for those little deer they shoot in the east, but big whitetail from the WESTERN part of the Midwest(see other thread) it is a little light. I would be comfortable up to 200 yards on any deer not running and you can make a clean shot.

e2a: It is big enough for those miniature deer from down south as well.

Edited by Rebellab

.243 Savage

approx 2yrs old

Asking $300

you live in the state were they teach creationism right?? so the 243 should be enough for those small deer. they use them up north also but if the shot is not well placed it can be some time before you find the deer.they are a fairly flat shooting but loose most of there punch after 300 yards.243's work great on turkeys, coyotes, foxes etc. and should be ok for deer.

however the price seems a little steep. cant check prices right now because im at school but a new savage is about 350$ i think.

A .243 is big enough for moose if you make the right shot. That being said I have been hunting for nearly 30 years and have no confidence in it on small Texas deer. The 243 (6mm) caliber was initially marketed as a combination gun. Manufacturers marketed it as being good for both prairie dogs and deer/antelope. A lot of people buy them for kids because of the lack of recoil. I find this highly irresponsible because of the likelihood of wounding the animal. I bought jr a 44 mag single shot instead.

agreed. FWIW, the first 2 deer I killed were with a .222.

Ive heard of deer killer with a 17 hmr but I still maintian anything less than a 308/260 is going to wound as many deer as the amateur hunter might recover.

Ive heard of deer killer with a 17 hmr but I still maintian anything less than a 308/260 is going to wound as many deer as the amateur hunter might recover.

I see what you're saying, but I've seen alot of non-amateur hunters lose deer that were hit with 30-06's and the like. It's all about taking the right shot.

FWIW, I hunt with a .270.

I've shot 4 deer with a .243. All four of them dropped right where I shot them and didn't move. Like others have said, it is all about shot placement. Having said that the two guns I use now for deer are the tried and true .30-06 for a brush gun and a .270WSM for distance. Also I can't wait to use my daughter's .30-30 for stalking.

What is the huddle opinion on a 7mm rem mag for Muck's purposes? With the new reduced recoil loads from remington and the super hot loads from hornady this round just got a lot more versatile imo.

The 7mm is a great all around cartidge, but probably a little heavy for Muck's purpose. I have not shot any deer with reduced recoil loads, but regular factory loads are overly destructive to good meat on small big game like deer.

For Muck's purposes...sure it'd work just fine...but he'd save money going a different route and still do just fine.

It is really amazing how many cartridges do what we need. I mean if a guy had a 260, 270, 284, 308, 30-06. 7 mag, 7mm-08, 338 federal, he would have similar abilities of killing power for most anything in the world. I'm still mad that when my dad bought me the caliber of my choice I went with a 308. It is almost impossible for me to justify buying another caliber.

It is really amazing how many cartridges do what we need. I mean if a guy had a 260, 270, 284, 308, 30-06. 7 mag, 7mm-08, 338 federal, he would have similar abilities of killing power for most anything in the world. I'm still mad that when my dad bought me the caliber of my choice I went with a 308. It is almost impossible for me to justify buying another caliber.

308 is a great all around caliber . it can be a little bouncy in heavy cover but unless you are hunting in think cover it should be all you need. Plus the ammo is cheep and readily available.

308 is a great all around caliber . it can be a little bouncy in heavy cover but unless you are hunting in think cover it should be all you need. Plus the ammo is cheep and readily available.

Bouncy? I only take clear shots.

u don't hunt up in the north woods. there are no clear shots.

I doubt there are 31 acres in the north woods with thicker vegetation than where I hunt. Im actually pretty sure there aren't 31 acres in the sotuh thicker than that jungle. I'm having a hard time trying to hire a dozer to work on it.