[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NCAA Tournament

Vinatieri Is God

I'm guessing everyone who spends any time in this forum is playing in a bracket pool somewhere. If those who have inside info could post it here, it would be helpful in picking teams. Maybe we can all win.

For example, Gottlieb mentioned last night that Wake Forest has been awful against teams who play zone and if Arizona gets past Utah, they could present a very difficult matchup for Wake with their matchup zone. That kind of info is very helpful.

Good luck to all

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UCONN is 4-3 since Dyson went down. Now granted those loses are to Pitt twice and Syracuse in that 6OT fest but the fact remains, they aren't the same team without them. Their single biggest weakness in a big man that is athletic though. If someone has an athletic big man that can play facing the basket, they can draw Thabeet away from the basket, thereby removing some of UCONN's shot blocking ability (both Adrien and Robinson can block pretty well in addition to Thabeet) and opening up the lane for the guards to work. That's how Georgetown worked UCONN early in the year.

I'll start with my homer team. BC plays a very tight "flex" offense that is somewhat difficult to defend if you have never seen it. They are patient and will rarely force a bad shot unless they get to the end of the shot clock. When properly motivated, they have shown they can beat anyone (Duke, UNC, etc...) but they are also very young and tend to have lapses in concentration. Not an overly strong defensive club. Those who have watched USC a lot, please weigh in with what they typically do.

I'll start with my homer team. BC plays a very tight "flex" offense that is somewhat difficult to defend if you have never seen it. They are patient and will rarely force a bad shot unless they get to the end of the shot clock. When properly motivated, they have shown they can beat anyone (Duke, UNC, etc...) but they are also very young and tend to have lapses in concentration. Not an overly strong defensive club. Those who have watched USC a lot, please weigh in with what they typically do.

USC is an extremely talented group that has battled injuries all year and made a heckuva run in the Pac-10 tourney beating a 7 seed, and two 6 seeds in the process. I'm reluctant to pick them too far because Tim Floyd isn't the world's greatest coach, but Taj Gibson is a really good basketball player on the defensive end of the floor that can control a game with his presence in the paint. BC has it's work cut out for them on Thursday, but because so much of early round tourney action is about the guard play, they have a good shot of winning the game with Tyrese Rice.

I'm going with the Pac-10 on this one, but only because I'm not sold on BC being that good despite their big wins.

USC is an extremely talented group that has battled injuries all year and made a heckuva run in the Pac-10 tourney beating a 7 seed, and two 6 seeds in the process. I'm reluctant to pick them too far because Tim Floyd isn't the world's greatest coach, but Taj Gibson is a really good basketball player on the defensive end of the floor that can control a game with his presence in the paint. BC has it's work cut out for them on Thursday, but because so much of early round tourney action is about the guard play, they have a good shot of winning the game with Tyrese Rice.

I'm going with the Pac-10 on this one, but only because I'm not sold on BC being that good despite their big wins.

good analysis - and i agree for the most part except about Floyd - he is one of the better teachers and well-respected coaches in the country. Defensively he has few peers, really.

I think USC steps it up on defense and for them it is all about scoring - if they can shoot it ok they should get the W

Edited by wildcat2334

good analysis - and i agree for the most part except about Floyd - he is one of the better teachers and well-respected coaches in the country. Defensively he has few peers, really.

Teachers, and on defense, absolutely. His teams have a tendency to play with a lot of recklessness when on the court though, and he never seems to have a lot of his guys under his control. Just an observation.

Some upsets that I have(atleast seeding wise) are:

Maryland over Cal

A&M over BYU

USC over BC

Arizona over Utah

Tennessee over Oklahoma State

Michigan over Clemson

Memphis is weak don't buy into all the hype. They play cupcake teams in their conference and when they have to play ranked teams out of it they get manhandled. They've lost to Georgetown, Syracuse, and Xavier before going on that huge win streak they are currently on. They could lose to Maryland or Cal in the 2nd round.

My Cinderella team to play on the second weekend is the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers. They get matchups against two schitzo teams, first in Illinois and then a potential against Gonzaga.

As a Michigan fan there is no way we beat Clemson unless we get hot from 3 pt range, only way.

Just my two cents.

I think you sell your team short. John Beilein plays a funky style of basketball...did you know that at West Virginia when Bobby Huggins took over he had to teach everyone how to do a rebounding drill, Beilein never did that as part of his coaching routine? You are right that they rely on teh 3 but EVERYONE on the team can shoot the three, even the big men. They play a 1-3-1 zone that is very frustrating if you haven't seen it before. Their style of play is odd enough to advance them in the tournament, perhaps even to the second weekend.

Duke has shown they are susceptible to fast guards. Villanova in the third round might have just the thing.

I like Villanova into the Final 4 for that very reason. I don't think Duke can hang with them and I think Pitt may be one of those teams that gets defeated because they aren't playing in the MMA Big East.

Edited by Kid Cid

I think you sell your team short. John Beilein plays a funky style of basketball...did you know that at West Virginia when Bobby Huggins took over he had to teach everyone how to do a rebounding drill, Beilein never did that as part of his coaching routine? You are right that they rely on teh 3 but EVERYONE on the team can shoot the three, even the big men. They play a 1-3-1 zone that is very frustrating if you haven't seen it before. Their style of play is odd enough to advance them in the tournament, perhaps even to the second weekend.

i hope you're right. I just think that when they play a good team (sans Duke and UCLA at home) that they get beaten and usually by 10+. I just think they are a year away from making noise but that would only be a sweet 16 maybe. Hopefully if nothing else this will help get a recruit or two.

i hope you're right. I just think that when they play a good team (sans Duke and UCLA at home) that they get beaten and usually by 10+. I just think they are a year away from making noise but that would only be a sweet 16 maybe. Hopefully if nothing else this will help get a recruit or two.

Clemson has been in a bit of a funk of late. They definitely have talent, and depth, but have lost some of their edge since they whipped Dook recently. Their press is one of their biggest assets. Iit's true that if you have a guard who can beat it, you take away one of their best weapons.

uh, big negative - I just don't see a Ben Howland-led team loses in rd. 1 -

Collison will slow Maynor and they will be too big and physical down low - UCLA by double digits

VCU is everyone's darling sleeper pick. Maynor is a stud, but the simple fact that every Joe Schmoe thinks they will win ought to be enough to eliminate any chance of UCLA looking past them.

Memphis is weak don't buy into all the hype. They play cupcake teams in their conference and when they have to play ranked teams out of it they get manhandled.

Man, I don't know, they lost some games early and have been playing great throughout the latter half. I hear what you are saying, but I don't know. Whatever your opinion is on Gonzaga, Memphis absolutely railed on them, in Spokane.

VCU is everyone's darling sleeper pick. Maynor is a stud, but the simple fact that every Joe Schmoe thinks they will win ought to be enough to eliminate any chance of UCLA looking past them.

trust me - not too excited that everyone and their brother thinks UA is going to beat Utah as well - never good to be Joe Publics favorite pick...... but I do think UA should beat the Utes

on to UCLA - Collison, Shipp and Aboya have all been to 3 Final Fours - and Howland prepares better than anyone - they may have struggled at times this year, but I will take the experience and tough as nails D all day long - Bruins easy

Man, I don't know, they lost some games early and have been playing great throughout the latter half. I hear what you are saying, but I don't know. Whatever your opinion is on Gonzaga, Memphis absolutely railed on them, in Spokane.

That's the thing, I think Gonzaga is garbage also. They should have got destroyed in that first meeting with St. Marys until Patty Mills got injured. They will get exposed in the second round.

uh, big negative - I just don't see a Ben Howland-led team loses in rd. 1 -

Collison will slow Maynor and they will be too big and physical down low - UCLA by double digits

:wacko: Aren't you a Pac10 honk? UCLA is paper thin inside this year. Give me a break.

That's the thing, I think Gonzaga is garbage also. They should have got destroyed in that first meeting with St. Marys until Patty Mills got injured. They will get exposed in the second round.

this tells me all need to know............ I am loading up on Memphis - yer nuts

Zags are seriously talented and playing their best ball right now and are light years better than St. Mary's - they are gonna be a tough out and i like them to get the sweet 16 at a minimum

Memphis made them look silly, and not many teams can say that - Memphis has been playing lights out as well since they got their PG situation settled and Calipari has proven he recruits ridiculous athletes and is on record as saying this team is close to last years, and better defensively.