[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NCAA Tournament

Vinatieri Is God

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'm not supposed to take much gratification in the matter. But watching Oklahoma get blasted by NC still helps.

I know I'm not supposed to take much gratification in the matter. But watching Villanova get blasted by NC still helps.

Edited by bushwacked

A few thoughts...

- The Big East is still the best conference in the country... No need to go overboard and make any "over-rated" comments. They still had half of the Elite 8 teams (and I would argue that a fifth, Syracuse, was one of the 10 best teams in the country at year's end)... Two of the four just happened to run into an MSU team that is playing really well right now.

- Too many things were in MSU's favor last night... playing close to home, big guys who average less than four points a game knocking down multiple 17-foot jumpers, etc. UConn had a clear advantage with their front three early, I thought, but Izzo and MSU did a very good job of adjusting. The only way Michigan State wins that game is by speeding things up and trying to score before UConn can get their defense set... And the Spartans did an awesome job of doing so for the last eight minutes of the first half, as well as the majority of the 2nd half.

- UConn's lack of depth hurt them as well... They don't really go more than seven, maybe eight, deep. Other than Austrie, they have no back-court presence off the bench. They're also not a team that is built to make comebacks... Only one real three-point threat in Price. One thing I found interesting in looking at some of the pre-game prop bets is that the O/U for total three's made by both teams was 9.5, while the total for 3-point attempts by Price alone was six. Those two numbers tell me that Price is expected to take a fairly high amount, while it was not expected for there to be that many made overall for the game (9.5 is a LOW number). In other words, other than Price, UConn has nobody that can consistently shoot the three.

- Michigan State may not be the deepest team in the country, but they arguably could be the most balanced. No real super-star on their team... Yeah, Lucas gets a lot of publicity as a top point guard, but he's not going to score 20 PPG. They've got about seven guys who could go for 15 points in any given game. I thought their depth was key to the win last night, but the biggest thing to me was still the tempo that they were able to establish, making it very difficult for the Huskies to set up on defense.

- Nova simply ran into the best team in the country. Last year, UNC was exposed big-time when they ran into a team that had bigger guys than they did. There was a noticeable difference between Hansbrough and the big guys from Kansas, who were basically able to push him around inside. This year, the biggest difference for UNC, in my opinion, is that Hansbrough doesn't really have to shoulder the load inside. They've got multiple other big guys who can handle the inside game, while Hansbrough can basically become a complimentary type of player. That's what makes UNC so scary right now... Talented enough that last year's POY can basically be a role player for them. By role player, I mean no disrespect to TH or the Tarheels... I'm just saying that they don't NEED 20/10 from him to win, necessarily. He can score 12 points and grab six boards, and they will more than likely still win the game, and win it easily.

- As far as Monday's game, I don't think UNC is going to beat MSU by 30 again, like they did earlier this year, but I think they will win the game. Should be interesting... Definitely two teams that are playing very well right now. Plus, it appears like they're both relatively healthy, so at least we won't have to listen to the media over-dramatizing how somebody's ankle, toe, or mono is affecting their performance. :wacko:

Tom Izzo is now on my "die with festering boils" list.

detlef, PM me your address.

To be honest, I was really hoping that this was going to come down to Monday night. Nothing like making a bet about whose team gets further and having it come down to mano y mano in the last game of the season. Never the less, the fact that both made the final 4 made it far cooler than if one would have flamed out in the first weekend or something.

UConn had a great season and was the only NC contender who suffered an injury to a major player that they didn't get back in time for the dance. Of course, Lawson means more to UNC than your boy did to UConn, but UNC would have been out the first weekend had Ty's toe not heeled.

Never the less, pm sent...

This year, the biggest difference for UNC, in my opinion, is that Hansbrough doesn't really have to shoulder the load inside. They've got multiple other big guys who can handle the inside game, while Hansbrough can basically become a complimentary type of player. That's what makes UNC so scary right now... Talented enough that last year's POY can basically be a role player for them. By role player, I mean no disrespect to TH or the Tarheels... I'm just saying that they don't NEED 20/10 from him to win, necessarily. He can score 12 points and grab six boards, and they will more than likely still win the game, and win it easily.

I agree with this 100%. I'm sure Wildcat will appreciate this, because this is exactly why Hansbrough's play has been so remarkable over the last 3 years. He plays beyond his skill level, and he has carried this team for 4 years. The Heels have always had exceptional talent, but they have been immature, and seriously unfocused at times. Hansbrough has, through sheer force of will, overpowered these shortcomings for 3 years. He is now playing his proper role on the team. He is not the kind of player who you want to shoulder the offensive burden because of the awkard nature of his game. Now that he is in a position where UNC can count on him to be a physical presence in the middle, but not be required to put up 25 in order to win, the Heels are that much stronger.

Ah I wish I would have come on this forum a few weeks ago I could have really added some input to this NCAA tournament. I had hit a few of the big upsets by seeds. I had CSU over Wake (I live 45 miles from Cleveland) and I just knew they were going to do it after they beat Butler in the conf tourney. This was their big year. Their one shinning moment. I had Arizona into the sweet 16. I had Western Kentucky over Illinois (no brainer IMO).

What killed me was I also had VCU over UCLA (1 pt loss), I hate Utah State over Marquette (1 pt loss). I did not pick Dayton. I did pick NDST over Kansas (that hurt), I had West Virg into sweet 16 (Only sweet 16 team I missed I went 15/16 on that part)

I was leading an online contest (next year I will send everyone the info for it, it is a great contest) with 458 entries.

When we got down to the Elite 8 I was in great shape. I had 7 of those 8 right. Then the Big East started screwing me over.

I had all 4 number 1 seeds in the final 4 (yes I know that was cazy idea it only happened once before) and it came back to haunt me.

1st Pitt lost knocking me out of 1st place. Then Louisville lost costing me more cash. Then the big blow Conn lost costing me a top 4 finish.

I can finish 5th now if NC wins the title (I had NC > Conn) but it sucks I would have got 1st if I had just got 11 more pts.

In this bracket you get pts for your seed in the 1st round, double your seed in 2nd round so the 1st 2 rounds of getting the higher seed teams correct are huge. The 8/9, 7/10's huge as well. Arizona was a key pick 24 pts for 2nd round. I got CSU, Arizona right but the final 4 killed me.

I never thought FSU would lose to Wisky and had I been here maybe someone would have changed my mind that would have been the difference in 1st ($1,500) and 5th ($320). Oh well I guess next year. I also follow college bball very indepth after football season ends (I follow the mid majors plus Kentucky and Ohio State very closely plus the other schools as well)

I take vacation each year the Thurs/Fri before the bracket is announced and I make my own brackets trying to get all 65 teams and their seeds right. I missed Arizona this year (had St. Mary's in) but once they got in and I seen their draw I had them pegged for sweet 16 right off the bat. In any event it will be fun next year talking about March Madness which I love just as much as Fantasy Football.

I think NC will win the title despite playing a "road" game. Until football season be well to all.

Ah I wish I would have come on this forum a few weeks ago I could have really added some input to this NCAA tournament. I had hit a few of the big upsets by seeds. I had CSU over Wake (I live 45 miles from Cleveland) and I just knew they were going to do it after they beat Butler in the conf tourney. This was their big year. Their one shinning moment. I had Arizona into the sweet 16. I had Western Kentucky over Illinois (no brainer IMO).

What killed me was I also had VCU over UCLA (1 pt loss), I hate Utah State over Marquette (1 pt loss). I did not pick Dayton. I did pick NDST over Kansas (that hurt), I had West Virg into sweet 16 (Only sweet 16 team I missed I went 15/16 on that part)

I was leading an online contest (next year I will send everyone the info for it, it is a great contest) with 458 entries.

When we got down to the Elite 8 I was in great shape. I had 7 of those 8 right. Then the Big East started screwing me over.

I had all 4 number 1 seeds in the final 4 (yes I know that was cazy idea it only happened once before) and it came back to haunt me.

1st Pitt lost knocking me out of 1st place. Then Louisville lost costing me more cash. Then the big blow Conn lost costing me a top 4 finish.

I can finish 5th now if NC wins the title (I had NC > Conn) but it sucks I would have got 1st if I had just got 11 more pts.

In this bracket you get pts for your seed in the 1st round, double your seed in 2nd round so the 1st 2 rounds of getting the higher seed teams correct are huge. The 8/9, 7/10's huge as well. Arizona was a key pick 24 pts for 2nd round. I got CSU, Arizona right but the final 4 killed me.

I never thought FSU would lose to Wisky and had I been here maybe someone would have changed my mind that would have been the difference in 1st ($1,500) and 5th ($320). Oh well I guess next year. I also follow college bball very indepth after football season ends (I follow the mid majors plus Kentucky and Ohio State very closely plus the other schools as well)

I take vacation each year the Thurs/Fri before the bracket is announced and I make my own brackets trying to get all 65 teams and their seeds right. I missed Arizona this year (had St. Mary's in) but once they got in and I seen their draw I had them pegged for sweet 16 right off the bat. In any event it will be fun next year talking about March Madness which I love just as much as Fantasy Football.

I think NC will win the title despite playing a "road" game. Until football season be well to all.

So you're saying that you didn't get many of your picks right but you want to give us all of your inside info anyway?

So you're saying that you didn't get many of your picks right but you want to give us all of your inside info anyway?

I did get 15/16 right for the Sweet 16, Got 7/8 Elite 8's and most likely the Champion with NC plus I hit on some big upsets like Wake Forest, Arizona and Western Kentucky.

I came in 5th out of 458 so I would say I got more then my fair share of picks right but unfortunately I didn't live up to Henry Muto standards as I am in this for 1 thing and 1 thing only and that is to win championships.

I missed it this year by a mere 10 pts which is basically 1 game missed. Frustrating to come so close and not get there but it happens. You don't know how many times you will have a chance to win it all so you need to advantage when those times come around or you will have days where you find yourself starring into the mirror only to wonder why you started looking into it at all.