[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

UCONN cheated?

KSUChiefsTarheelFan

Say by some miracle they win it all...does it get stripped in the future?

I really couldn't say, but I doubt it. The player in question, Miles, was kicked off the team at the beginning of this season (for reasons unrelated), so I would think that any sanctions would be for those years where he did play, or was simply a member of the team. UConn might face forfeiture of wins from previous years though.

No forfeitures because the kid was kicked off the team before even practicing with them. What remains to be seen is exactly how bad the violations are. Since it was perpetrated by an assistant that is no longer at the school (Tom Moore HC @ Quinnipiac) it will all boil down to how much did Calhoun know, and how much was he expected to know (i.e. keeping the program under his control). I just love how the media time this so as to cause the largest possible splash regardless to the cost of anyone, especially the kids gunning for a national championship that had nothing to do with this. They are the ones that are gonna have to take all the media heat right now. Frakking ass wipes.

Edited by Kid Cid

No forfeitures because the kid was kicked off the team before even practicing with them. What remains to be seen is exactly how bad the violations are. Since it was perpetrated by an assistant that is no longer at the school (Tom Moore HC @ Quinnipiac) it will all boil down to how much did Calhoun know, and how much was he expected to know (i.e. keeping the program under his control). I just love how the media time this so as to cause the largest possible splash regardless to the cost of anyone, especially the kids gunning for a national championship that had nothing to do with this. They are the ones that are gonna have to take all the media heat right now. Frakking ass wipes.

I agree that it's a sad deal for the current players but I question any conspiracy on the timing. The article did say that they requested the information back in October and only received it 2 weeks ago. I'm sure it took some time to sort through it all.

I don't see how UConn gets penalized over a kid who never played a game.

Well, that depends. If what seems to be getting reported is true, it puts UConn in bed with player agents which is exactly the opposite of what the NCAA tries to do. That's some major, major problems and it has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the player in question was kicked off the team before he played a game. All that means is the kid f'ed up in some other way as well.

The crux of the issue is whether or not UConn is soliciting agents to funnel them talent that they will groom for them to then market the the NBA. If that's the case, this is a major, major freaking deal that needs to be addressed.

Mind you, I wish these kids didn't have to bother with the illusion of college to begin with and could just go pro right out the gate.

The crux of the issue is whether or not UConn is soliciting agents to funnel them talent that they will groom for them to then market the the NBA. If that's the case, this is a major, major freaking deal that needs to be addressed.

No, the crux of the issue appears to be that this ex-manager at UConn is trying to take advantage of a disadvantaged kid, and yahoo! is trying to implicate the university in the process.

I'm no UConn defender, and I'm a big proponent of the idea that every single national collegiate powerhouse in football and basketball has a mechanism in place to "take care" of players before they get to campus and while they're there. The kid never played a game, and obviously there were red flags about this guy raised from what Rip Hamilton had to say about him.

The kid never played a game, and obviously there were red flags about this guy raised from what Rip Hamilton had to say about him.

This guy meaning the agent? I think it sucks for the current players because they have a douchebag for a coach, and there is no doubt in my mind he new what was going on. This is twice this year that the Huskies have been a huge media topic.....

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan

This guy meaning the agent? I think it sucks for the current players because they have a douchebag for a coach, and there is no doubt in my mind he new what was going on. This is twice this year that the Huskies have been a huge media topic.....

You are of course, entitled to your opinion. IMO, Calhoun may be many things, but a douchebag is not one of them. If Calhoun's guilty of cheating, then he should be punished but let's not go convicting anyone until all the facts are in.

And yes GTS was talking about the "agent". Though why UCONN had any type of relationship with him is beyond me.

And yes GTS was talking about the "agent". Though why UCONN had any type of relationship with him is beyond me.

According to the story, he's a former student manager for the team. He was also acting in some capacity for the program. That's the rub.