[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The 2009 Baseball Thread

Chief Dick

Absolutely BEASTLY game by Brewers pitcher Yovani Gallardo. 8 innings, 11 K's, and hits a home run for the only run scored in the game. That is just a wrecking ball of a game.

Pay attention boys and girls you are witnessing the beginning of a great career, barring an injury of course.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wacko: Stupid and then when I wore my first dressin' Brewers !!!!!

Wasn't a total loss for you. . .Snell pitched his a$$ off. . .very impressive outing. He's starting to make a habit of it.

Royals are somehow in first place with a very inconsistent team. Seems like they have the tools and some signs of a breakthrough, but I believe are still a year or two away from being a good team.

3.62 team ERA. That's nearly a run better than Boston at 4.52. If, and it is a big if, they continue to get good work from the rotation there is no reason they can't still be around in that division come September.

3.62 team ERA. That's nearly a run better than Boston at 4.52. If, and it is a big if, they continue to get good work from the rotation there is no reason they can't still be around in that division come September.

Well, the bad news is Ponson may have single-handedly changed that number tonight. :wacko: The good news is that he won't be long for the rotation, as Hochever is in Omaha ready to go.

Well, 11-7 turned into 12-13 because of no offense & bullpen issues. I hate being a Pirates fan. :wacko:

No McLouth and Doumit is the heart of the O and when they are not in the lineup it shows, and Doumit has done more for that pitching staff than his hits has done for the O.

The great Brett Saberhagen twice (85, 89) and David Cone (94).

Favorite Saberhagen stat. In 1994 he had more wins 14, than walks 13.

Riiight. . .totally forgot Saberhagen. Cone I'da never known.

CD -

Your Royals continue to look like the real deal. The Tigers have been inconsistent so far. Starting pitching has been a strength overall with some rocky outings.

Justin Verlander has hit his stride. He struggled mightily out of the gate. Check out his last 3 games stats:

Wins - 3

Innings - 25

Hits - 11

Earned runs - 1

Total runs - 1

Walks - 5

Strikeouts - 31

That's a WHIP of 0.64 with 31 K's. :wacko:

In case anyone missed it. Look up the catch Graderson made to save the game for Verlander. without a doubt the best catch of the year given the situation and all.

In case anyone missed it. Look up the catch Graderson made to save the game for Verlander. without a doubt the best catch of the year given the situation and all.

Watched it with my 7-year old last night. We were in awe. :wacko:

CD -

Your Royals continue to look like the real deal. The Tigers have been inconsistent so far. Starting pitching has been a strength overall with some rocky outings.

Justin Verlander has hit his stride. He struggled mightily out of the gate. Check out his last 3 games stats:

Wins - 3

Innings - 25

Hits - 11

Earned runs - 1

Total runs - 1

Walks - 5

Strikeouts - 31

That's a WHIP of 0.64 with 31 K's. :wacko:

It's definitely going to be an interesting race. It's not inconceivable that all 5 teams in this division are within 5 games of the lead the last month of the season.

The Royals are so maddeningly inconsistent on offense, so at this point I don't see them winning the thing. My gut tells me third place when it is all said and done. And Soria is turning into a question mark due to his "sore" shoulder. Bannister has been a nice surprise so far, and Hochever will get the call in about 2 weeks.

Unreal. For what that catch meant at the time, double unreal. :D

Grienke is "old news".

We've been watching him in awe for several years -- I remember him getting Barry Bonds, during his hey-day, to strikeout looking. Also seen him throw 97mph cheese and follow that up with a 65mph curve.

He's a head-case though ... so, this is the first time we're really seeing him string together something special. Be interesting to see if the meds are working in August / September.

• 4 weeks later...

Two more days in a row of Rays struggling to close games out. Weak relief pitching not helped by Joe "the mad scientist" Madden and his "numbers game", misplaying balls, errors... They were fortunate to hang a bunch on Mariano Saturday or they'd be looking at a sweep in NY as Sonnanstine probably gets rocked by the Yankees tonight. Of course with even decent relief and D they would going for the sweep themselves.

I realize they have some key guys out right now but it's looking more and more like they'll be hovering around .500 all year.

Very disappointing. :wacko: