[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bye Bye Bertuzzi

Hugh 0ne

I have played hockey and have been a fan for a long time. Fighting is part of the game. Always has.

Why do Hockey players fight? IMO, it has been allowed by the NHL in order for the sport to gain popularity. (back in the early 70's and 80's, it was mostly a northern sport) Though its not as bad as it used to be. (they have really tightened the rules) You used to see bench clearing brawls. They have so many rules now to prevent all out fights.

Most people like to see a good fight. I like to see a good hard hitting fast hockey game and the occasional fight. This is off of a website that I found called hockeyfights.com

From the fight log

Comments: Bertuzzi challenges Moore all over the ice. Moore wants nothing to do with him. As Moore is skating away, Bertuzzi lands a gloved-sucker-punch to the side of Moore's face, knocking him out instantly. Moore falls face-first onto the ice with Bertuzzi on top of him. Others pile on, and everyone on the ice is getting together. Hedberg left his crease while all of this was going on and challenges Aebischer, but Aebischer simply pointed to the clock and wanted nothing to do with Hedberg.   Other Penalties: Johan Hedberg received a goalie leaving the crease penalty; Todd Bertuzzi an attempt to injure; May a double game misconduct; Sauer a game misconduct.  

Here is the video

Now here are some fights where both players want to fight...

Johnson VS Brookbank 3/10/04

Barnaby VS Moreau 3/10/04

Peters VS Pete 3/10/04

Brown VS Berry 3/10/04

Unfortunately Bertuzzi's emotions got the best of him. He should have left him alone and hit him hard (legally when he had the puck). I don't think Bertuzzi has seen the end of it.

:cool:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, it was a cheap shot and certainly not Moore's fault.

My take though is that Moore was a marked man going into this game. It's 8-2 Colorado with like 8 and 1/2 minutes left to play. I didn't see the game but an Avs fan I work with who lives in Denver saw it and told me this: Bertuzzi had been trying to get Moore to fight all night, Moore wouldn't fight him. At some point Moore, or more significantly Granado, should have gotten him off the ice. Again, I'm not blaming Moore.

I like to watch hockey but this is a sport in trouble, lots of it: gap between the US and Canadian dollar, poor TV ratings, impending lockout/strike and now this. I'd hate to see hockey go the was of baseball.

I'd hate to see hockey go the was of baseball.

Not sure what that means, exactly. If you meant "go the way of baseball", I still don't know what you mean. I wouldn't want hockey to have a steroid controversy either, but I'd love it if hockey could have a billion dollar TV contract, if hockey could complete the greatest post-season in sports history. If hockey could create national interest 6 weeks before the season even starts every year. Of course, this is an entirely different discussion.

LegFuJohnson:

I'd hate to see hockey go the was of baseball.

Not sure what that means, exactly. If you meant "go the way of baseball", I still don't know what you mean. I wouldn't want hockey to have a steroid controversy either, but I'd love it if hockey could have a billion dollar TV contract, if hockey could complete the greatest post-season in sports history. If hockey could create national interest 6 weeks before the season even starts every year. Of course, this is an entirely different discussion.
shrug

Football Cheap Shot----broken leg, torn ACL, broken neck =flag and penalty, maybe a fine

Helmet to helmet--- career ending concussions, spinal cord damage= flag and a fine

Baseball---fastball to head which could lead to blindness or skull fracture=fine, possible suspension

Sucker punch in hockey-----------suspension and possible ban for next year? Ya gotta be kidding me.

What if the punch had done nothing more than glance off his head and satrt a fight? Then this whole thing is nothing but a footnote. Because the punch caused damage, there is an uproar. Thank god Hockey doesn't police my aforementioned favorite sports. Lawrence "coke head" Taylor would never make it to the Hall of Fame, and my beloved Rocket would never have left Beantown.

Originally posted by Clubfoothead:

It's 8-2 Colorado with like 8 and 1/2 minutes left to play. I didn't see the game but an Avs fan I work with who lives in Denver saw it and told me this: Bertuzzi had been trying to get Moore to fight all night, Moore wouldn't fight him.

here's the box score from the game......

..... scroll down to the bottom & check the penalty minutes. eek! .... Moore had already served 5 for fighting in the 1st.period AND scored the 5th. goal...3 in a 1 minute time period to make 5-0. I'd say he was a marked man. thinking

I watched the game.... Moore & Peter Worrell squared off against Brad May & Matt Cooke in the first.... the tone for this was set immediately. There was almost 100 minutes of penalties before the Bertuzzi incident even happened.

untateve:

If I punch a competitor for no reason other than he lied and stole work from me (which has happened), I go to jail for assault.

Making excuses for assault is a bad thing.

Bertuzzi is being investigated for crimal charges by the police. link

A career ended because of a perfectly clean hit. Moore hit Naslund with his shoulder which is obvious on the replay and the reason there was no penalty. And if Moore wouldn't have hit him, Naslund has a breakaway. From the GM on down, the Canucks are a bunch of crybaby punks. If Bert does play again do you think he'll be man enough to show his face in Denver?

MrEdway:

From the GM on down, the Canucks are a bunch of crybaby punks.

No, the non-hockey sports media are a bunch of Rosie O'Donnell that have blown this incident out of proportion.

MrEdway:

A career ended because of a perfectly clean hit. Moore hit Naslund with his shoulder which is obvious on the replay and the reason there was no penalty. And if Moore wouldn't have hit him, Naslund has a breakaway.

What career are you talking about that ended?

Just because Moore hit Naslund doesn't mean that it wasn't a cheap shot. If you go after star players, you're are going to have to deal with the consequences. I am not defending the Bertuzzi hit, it WAS a cheap shot. But, this is hockey, not backgammon. It's a contact sport with a certain code of ethics, unfortunately Bertuzzi took it too far, and more what's even more unfortunate is that a guy is in the hospital with a broken neck.