[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NHL Playoffs

Vinatieri Is God

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe NJ blew their shot. Congrats to Carolina now come to Boston and get your asses handed to you. Penguins fans...you're next.

I hope you're right that we get to play you next round, but, we've got some business to take care of 1st. Crosby vs. Ovechkin..................the NHL brass is loving this !!!

:wacko: Go Pens !!!!!

Can't believe NJ blew their shot. Congrats to Carolina now come to Boston and get your asses handed to you. Penguins fans...you're next.

First off, eeeeassy there with calling out the Pens. Carolina finished the season as strong as anyone and just played one of the all time great series. In fact, the only thing keeping the NJ series from being all-time was the fact that it was a 1st rounder.

None the less, both teams were playing at the top of their games and if you look at the overall stats, it is uncanny how close they were.

Last night was crazy, I turned it on at 2-2 in the 2nd, watched Carolina give up the go-ahead and then get out-played for the entire 3rd with Cam Ward standing on his freaking head to keep them in it. Then, just like that, 3-4, turned to 4-4, turned to 5-4 and the rest is history.

No team in their right mind wants anything to do with these guys right now. Not saying they should even be favored but I certainly wouldn't look past them.

First off, eeeeassy there with calling out the Pens. Carolina finished the season as strong as anyone and just played one of the all time great series. In fact, the only thing keeping the NJ series from being all-time was the fact that it was a 1st rounder.

None the less, both teams were playing at the top of their games and if you look at the overall stats, it is uncanny how close they were.

Last night was crazy, I turned it on at 2-2 in the 2nd, watched Carolina give up the go-ahead and then get out-played for the entire 3rd with Cam Ward standing on his freaking head to keep them in it. Then, just like that, 3-4, turned to 4-4, turned to 5-4 and the rest is history.

No team in their right mind wants anything to do with these guys right now. Not saying they should even be favored but I certainly wouldn't look past them.

First off, the Devils-Canes series was good, but if you think it was one of the all time great series ever, you've only started watching this year. With all due respect.

And FYI, the final score was 4-3, maybe that's why you thought the series was so good because you were seeing things. :irishwink:

All joking aside, great win for you guys. I haven't seen a finish to a playoff series like that in quite some time. You guys are hot, but I think Boston is going to beat you guys in 5. The Bruins are big, nasty, have the best goalie in the NHL, and are built for the playoffs. Nonetheless, great job ousting a tough Devils team and the best goalie to ever play the game.

I hope you're right that we get to play you next round, but, we've got some business to take care of 1st. Crosby vs. Ovechkin..................the NHL brass is loving this !!!

:wacko: Go Pens !!!!!

I'm thinking this is going to be the best series in the east this year, no disrespect intended to the other teams. Both match up well with scoring and defense. This one is going to come down to the goalies. Fleury has been there before and you know what he brings to the table. Varlamov is a rookie who played in a handful of games this year. His first few were outstanding, then he got sent back down for a while and when he came back up to the nHL squad, he was quite ordinary. This kid is the goalie of the future for the Caps, no doubt about it, and he's flashed some brilliance both in the regular season and the playoffs, but it will be interesting to see if he can make the same kind of run in his rookie year the Roy did.

Bottom line, I think the Pens with this series, which makes me kind of sick since I really don't like them.

First off, the Devils-Canes series was good, but if you think it was one of the all time great series ever, you've only started watching this year. With all due respect.

And FYI, the final score was 4-3, maybe that's why you thought the series was so good because you were seeing things. :irishwink:

All joking aside, great win for you guys. I haven't seen a finish to a playoff series like that in quite some time. You guys are hot, but I think Boston is going to beat you guys in 5. The Bruins are big, nasty, have the best goalie in the NHL, and are built for the playoffs. Nonetheless, great job ousting a tough Devils team and the best goalie to ever play the game.

Nice catch on the scoring screw up but the "all-time" bit is, frankly, not even something I came up with on my own. The morning sports guy and the HOF announcer for the Canes were making the same comments this morning.

For starters, it went seven, had two OT games, only 2 games that weren't settled by a goal (each team won one of those), contains the latest game winning goal of all time (.2 secs remaining) and the latest game 7 winning goal of all time, not to mention it is rather safe to say that nobody has ever scored 2 goals in the last 82 seconds to go from losing to winning a game 7. Beyond that the series stats were completely even. With 82 seconds remaining in the series, each team had scored exactly as many goals and taken almost exactly as many shots, plus there was other stats the same way.

I haven't seen a ton of hockey, but this is also not my first exposure.

Carolina is playing much better now than they were 2 months ago, for sure. But, I certainly wouldn't say "no one wants to play them right now". As a matter of fact, I'd venture a guess that the B's, Pens, or Caps would all pick them if they were given a choice. If Brodeur doesn't give up 2 very soft goals in the last two minutes, the Canes are at Pinehurst right now.

That being said, it should be a good series and hopefully the B's prevail.

Nice catch on the scoring screw up but the "all-time" bit is, frankly, not even something I came up with on my own. The morning sports guy and the HOF announcer for the Canes were making the same comments this morning.

For starters, it went seven, had two OT games, only 2 games that weren't settled by a goal (each team won one of those), contains the latest game winning goal of all time (.2 secs remaining) and the latest game 7 winning goal of all time, not to mention it is rather safe to say that nobody has ever scored 2 goals in the last 82 seconds to go from losing to winning a game 7. Beyond that the series stats were completely even. With 82 seconds remaining in the series, each team had scored exactly as many goals and taken almost exactly as many shots, plus there was other stats the same way.

I haven't seen a ton of hockey, but this is also not my first exposure.

I was just busting your chops a little, and pretty much figured the "all-time" thing was coming from someone in Carolina. As mentioned, it was a great series, probably the best the Canes have ever been involved in, but not going to be on the top 10 all time playoff series list imo. But whatever, it's just a opinion based, and like I said, was just busting your balls with my post.

Also good to see you becoming a fan of the greatest sport on the face of the earth. :D

Oh, and make sure you thank the refs for not calling the interference on Broduer or you guys would be playing golf right now. :wacko:

Also good to see you becoming a fan of the greatest sport on the face of the earth. :D

:wacko:

I absolutely LOVE it, but, the greatest sport on earth is football !!!!! This is not an opinion, it is a FACT ! :D

Carolina is playing much better now than they were 2 months ago, for sure. But, I certainly wouldn't say "no one wants to play them right now". As a matter of fact, I'd venture a guess that the B's, Pens, or Caps would all pick them if they were given a choice. If Brodeur doesn't give up 2 very soft goals in the last two minutes, the Canes are at Pinehurst right now.

That being said, it should be a good series and hopefully the B's prevail.

I'll give you Staal's game winner was soft but the equalizer was a classic cross-ice one timer. Certainly a shot that Brodeur is capable of stopping but hardly "very soft".

None the less, I see you're at least recognizing that Boston has to win 4 of the next 7 before they get to play a Pens team who also needs to win 4 of 7, so that's a start.

As for being glad you drew the Canes rather than the other two. Be careful what you wish for.

I was just busting your chops a little, and pretty much figured the "all-time" thing was coming from someone in Carolina. As mentioned, it was a great series, probably the best the Canes have ever been involved in, but not going to be on the top 10 all time playoff series list imo. But whatever, it's just a opinion based, and like I said, was just busting your balls with my post.

Oh, and make sure you thank the refs for not calling the interference on Broduer or you guys would be playing golf right now. :wacko:

Whether or not it's the best series or not, it certainly isn't the most memorable one even in the last several years considering that hoisting the cup will always trump series drama.

As for the interference call. I hope you're not talking about the call at the end of game 4 when he was way outside the crease. Because anyone who's 1) not Brodeur himself or 2) not a myopic Devils fan knows damned well that's a no-call if there ever was one.

Lastly, I would wager, considering it was in the round of 16, that it won't make anyone's top 10 list. Hence the caveat. Any series that does nothing more than afford the winning team the right to have to win 3 more series in order to be champion will ever be thought of as all time. My point was simply, if those exact 7 games happened to decide the conference champ or cup winner, it would make the short list based on the fierce competitive nature, dead even stats, and the fact that the winning team pulled two games out of their ass. Though it should be noted that the first of those two, they completely dominated for 39 minutes.

Edited by detlef

Ducks practicing at our little whole in the wall rink right now that my son skates out of. They kept it quiet and just showed up for practice.

Not sure if I'm going to be a lame-o and go up after work. Not allowed in the rink area I guess. Like to see how big those mofo's are up close though.

Very impressed with the Canes last night. :D

Also think the Pens played a pretty good game 1, aside from Fleury. He needs to bounce back and steal one tonight in Washington. The Pens need to find a way to rattle the young goalie too. Go Pens!

Oh, and it was wonderful to see the OT winner in Detroit. :wacko: Go Ducks!