[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

WR/WR to start the draft

dirtdickens

Who are the stud backs? Who do you think is worth a first round pick?

After you get that one stud RB, how do you get another one with only a handfull of guys get enough carries to equal what Andre Johnson or Roddy White do every week? After you grab AD and another guy that shares carries- MB3- all the quality WRs are gone, your stuck with Braylon. Your opponents will be picking MB3's other and equally productive half Felix Jones much later while he already grabbed Andre Johnson and Roddy White and a QB and TE.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously it depends on when you pick and league size, but there can be some decent RB talent left on the board for picks 3 & 4 like Kevin Smith, Thomas Jones, Willie Parker, Addai, Ward. Most of them require a handcuff like Brown, Mendenhall, Graham, or Washington but it seems they are at least serviceable options. Even Julius Jones, Benson, and Lewis are usually available late as backup options.

I really think its better to go RB and WR so you have the best chance to take advantage of players that slip farther than they should.

I think with RBBC becoming more of a trend than an anomaly, you can certainly make a more compelling argument for taking a WR the 1st and/or 2nd rounds. The problem I have with going WR/WR to start is that there is no "guarantee" that those WR's are going to be any more of a lock to repeat last year's performance than the 1st/2nd tier RB's are. There is always going to be that one top WR who is going to either get hurt or be a complete bust. Maybe it's just me (I've been burned by guys like Braylon and David Boston one too many times), but I'm probably not even thinking about the possibility of going WR/WR in the first two rounds, unless I'm slotted towards the end of the first round, and two studs (AJ or Fitz caliber studs) have fallen in my lap. In other words, stud WR's who don't really have any question marks around them, other than the obvious possibility that they could get hurt.

I guess what I am saying is that, by going WR/WR in the first two rounds, you had better be 100% sure you're picking the right two WR's... If you're not, and you're just grabbing two of the top 5-7 guys on the WR list, you're not only putting yourself at a possible disadvantage at all other positions, but you haven't really gained anything at WR either. You've taken a chance at the RB position, thinking you can nail the right guys in the next few rounds, you've eliminated your chances of getting a guy like Manning/Brees/Brady, and because of the position you've put yourself in at the RB position, you've all but eliminated any shot at landing Gates/Gonzalez/Daniels as well. So, basically, you're playing "catch-up" at every other position, all with the assumption (or hope) that you've snagged the right WR combo in the first two rounds.

I'm not saying WR/WR is never the answer... I just don't think it's something to try on a whim. You gotta be absolutely sure it's the best option when doing so, IMO... In other words, when guys like Fitz or Johnson have slipped and are value that you really can't pass up.

Here's the thing that's tough about picking a WR first. You can even miss on top WR's just because strange things can happen. Moss wasn't the #1 WR last year because of a fluke injury to his QB. Happens with any player at any position. I'd rather pick up a RB who's going to potentially touch the ball 15-20 times per game vs. a WR who may touch the ball 5-8 times per game. That's why I've never drafted WR/WR and never will. I'm in PPR leagues as well and every year it's not the WR's that win it for you. Typically it's the stud RB that you either drafted or picked up late and they happened to take off that win it for you.

The WR/WR strat only works when picking at the end of a snake draft in a PPR league. Picking a WR, say at 1.8, is insane yet there is ALWAYS somebody willing to take that risk.

The RB/RB staple of old is quickly fading though as we all started to witness 2-3 years ago.

With so many RBBC's out there, I think you pretty much have to get one of the RB's that is supposed to receive the Lion's share.

That said, there are a few RB's out there that I would be comfortable with, that can be had after the 3rd round. (i.e. Wells, McFadden, Possibly Stewart). So, if there was a QB, and 2 WR's, I would contemplate waiting until round 4 to take a RB. My question, is there any combo of WR's/QB's you could justify taking so early. Could you still take Brady in the 1st? I don't really think you would need to take one of the WR's in the first. How would a team with like Brady, Fitz, Johnson, Wells, McFadden stack up with a team like LT, Fitz, Addai, Romo, CJ?

Fitz, Andre and Moss are a good value after about seven RBs are taken. Then there's another tier of six or so RBs worth taking before the likes of Megatron, Wayne, Boldin, etc.

I used to go into drafts with the set plan to get two RBs in the first two rounds. In the current landscape, I just go with BRBOWR (best RB or WR).

Might do it. Might not. Depends on how the draft goes just like every other year. In general, I think WR/WR is a riskier proposition than other choices. Since they depend a lot on the QB throwing to them, there are two injury risks that can hurt you.

Last year I started with Owens/Moss

Never again will I draft a WR in the first two rounds.

I started a draft this same way a few years ago. Both had healthy and productive seasons, yet this was the only league I've ever played in where I got last place. I just didn't get any kind of consistent TD's out of the RB position. I learned that you need a stud RB. If you don't have one, the dance you have to do to try to get points out of the RB spot every week is a fine, fine line to walk.

With so many RBBC's out there, I think you pretty much have to get one of the RB's that is supposed to receive the Lion's share.

That said, there are a few RB's out there that I would be comfortable with, that can be had after the 3rd round. (i.e. Wells, McFadden, Possibly Stewart). So, if there was a QB, and 2 WR's, I would contemplate waiting until round 4 to take a RB. My question, is there any combo of WR's/QB's you could justify taking so early. Could you still take Brady in the 1st? I don't really think you would need to take one of the WR's in the first. How would a team with like Brady, Fitz, Johnson, Wells, McFadden stack up with a team like LT, Fitz, Addai, Romo, CJ?

I was going to get at this later as a lot of the drafts I have seen so far indicate that there is a small chance of this working. I'm just kicking the idea around for now but if you could knock out 2WR, QB and TE with your first four picks it could get interesting. Just for arguments sake you secure AJohnson and Fitzgerald with the first two. Follow that up with KWarner and Witten. There would still be guys like Willie Parker, McGahee and Leon Washington around. Not huge names, but guys that will get just as many carries and could be getting big carries later in the year when the older backs break down.

Just in the top 100 DMD posted the other day the 12 spot looked pretty good.

you've eliminated your chances of getting a guy like Manning/Brees/Brady, and because of the position you've put yourself in at the RB position, you've all but eliminated any shot at landing Gates/Gonzalez/Daniels as well.

Follow that up with KWarner and Witten.

Shows you just how far into the off-season we are right now... I completely blanked on Witten when trying to think of the top TE's from the last couple of years... I knew there was someone I was missing. :wacko:

I would NEVER take 2 WRs back to back to start a draft.

|

|

J

edit: I wonder if DMD destroys all his previous year official mocks that we do here :wacko:

Edited by keggerz

I've tried it before - it rarely works.

I'll tell you what does: waiting until the 8th or 9th round and there's ALWAYS a WR1 on the board that no one considers. Last year it was Isaac Bruce. It's inevitable: WR2s begin to go, and people collectively write off an entire team's passing attack and a WR1 remains late. Get him. This year, I'll bet it's the WR1 from Tennessee, whoever that becomes.

I've tried it before - it rarely works.

I'll tell you what does: waiting until the 8th or 9th round and there's ALWAYS a WR1 on the board that no one considers. Last year it was Isaac Bruce. It's inevitable: WR2s begin to go, and people collectively write off an entire team's passing attack and a WR1 remains late. Get him. This year, I'll bet it's the WR1 from Tennessee, whoever that becomes.

Agreed... there always seems to be a team or two that people shy away from. Doesn't always work, though... I can remember Bobby Wade being proclaimed the #1 in MN a couple of years ago, and he really didn't pan out to anything, fantasy-wise, that year.

It obviously depends on the scoring, but in a PPR for WRs and TEs only, you could MAYBE go WR/WR and survive if you are very lucky on your later scrap heap RBs.

The problem is that even in a RBBC carry distribution is rarely equal enough to depend on from week to week. Even if I was drafting in the 12 hole, I would rather reach for a guy with little competition or huge upside at RB than risk getting stuck with Julius Jones and Cedric Benson as my starters.

GREAT point on the fact that there is ALWAYS some WR that is forgotten until late that can contribute.

Agreed... there always seems to be a team or two that people shy away from. Doesn't always work, though... I can remember Bobby Wade being proclaimed the #1 in MN a couple of years ago, and he really didn't pan out to anything, fantasy-wise, that year.

Well, I'm not talking about something that becomes a super steal, just a guy who goes after a bunch of WR2s that had no business going that late.

In one of my PPR leagues last year I did draft WR/WR in a 14 teamer, and I ended up third overall. I even picked Wr in the third round. Ended up with Moss, Fitz, and C. Johnson. I lucked out, though, in that I drafted T. Jones next, Rivers, and Forte a couple of rounds later. I might would draft that way again in a league that big if I had a pick after the first seven. I think the first six or seven backs are all pretty solid this year, assuming they fall something like....Peterson, Turner, Forte, MJD, D. Williams, Gore, Jackson (not particularly in that order). I might possibly take Fitz over LT, Westy, Slaton, Barber, Jacobs, C. Johnson. I might not, but I think it's a crap shoot from there. There are concerns with all of them. Something may happen with Fitz to make that a bad pick, but we all know that some of those RBs are just not going to work out this year also.

If you want a top WR, you need to take them early. You can pick up Addai, T. Jones, Parker, Lynch, Grant, K. Smith, McFadden, L. Johnson, and/or a rookie or two a lot later this year. There will be good WRs late too, but I think you can probably pick up a pretty close-to-top performing RB late or on Waiver Wire when a top back goes down easier than you can a top performing WR.

|

|

J

edit: I wonder if DMD destroys all his previous year official mocks that we do here :wacko:

:D Except when you have done it :D

|

|

J

I tend to agree with you to a point, but "never" is a strong word. Take the mock draft that DMD posted recently, in which Fitz and AJ went to the same owner with the 1.12/2.1 picks, after eleven consecutive RB's to start the draft. These are the next bunch of RB's that went:

2.03 RB Slaton, Steve

2.07 RB Portis, Clinton

2.08 RB Jacobs, Brandon

3.02 RB Brown, Ronnie

3.04 RB Bush, Reggie

3.07 RB Thomas, Pierre

3.12 RB Addai, Joseph

I don't know... Like I said earlier, I tend to believe that WR/WR is not the ideal way to start, and it's not something you should do just "to try it." But, I'm not convinced that there isn't a time/place for it, especially if a draft starts with eleven RB's, and you've got pick #12. I think Fitz is a no-brainer in that spot, so the question becomes... do you like AJ as your WR2, or would you rather secure Slaton, Portis, or Jacobs as your RB1. Does the ability to grab a guy like Portis, who is still going to be a workhorse type 20-25 touch back outweigh the potential advantage you could have by having the top two WR's in the league?

By the way, I don't think there is a right/wrong answer to the question, as opposed to the QB in the 1st round argument... just thinking out loud, more than anything. I do think every year is different, though, and with the above scenario, I personally would be taking one WR for sure. Not so sure I would take a second one as well, but I am pretty sure I would think long and hard about doing so.

That said, if this were a PPR league, I don't see both Fitz and Johnson lasting until the 12th pick, which is why I would have a hard time even considering going WR/WR to start. You're basically looking at one of those two (or maybe neither one), paired up with somebody like TO, Moss, Boldin, etc., all of which have question marks coming into this season. In that case, I think you have to grab a RB (preferably one who catches some passes).

it can work but it is a dangerous/dicey proposition

I have won a league in the past going wr/wr/rb/rb/rb/wr/wr

Last year I almost won an expert league(lost in the SB) where I started out WR WR WR TE ( Wayne/TO,Calvin Johnson/Witten)

|

|

J

Look closely....

I tend to agree with you to a point, but "never" is a strong word. Take the mock draft that DMD posted recently, in which Fitz and AJ went to the same owner with the 1.12/2.1 picks, after eleven consecutive RB's to start the draft. These are the next bunch of RB's that went:

2.03 RB Slaton, Steve

2.07 RB Portis, Clinton

2.08 RB Jacobs, Brandon

3.02 RB Brown, Ronnie

3.04 RB Bush, Reggie

3.07 RB Thomas, Pierre

3.12 RB Addai, Joseph

I don't know... Like I said earlier, I tend to believe that WR/WR is not the ideal way to start, and it's not something you should do just "to try it." But, I'm not convinced that there isn't a time/place for it, especially if a draft starts with eleven RB's, and you've got pick #12. I think Fitz is a no-brainer in that spot, so the question becomes... do you like AJ as your WR2, or would you rather secure Slaton, Portis, or Jacobs as your RB1. Does the ability to grab a guy like Portis, who is still going to be a workhorse type 20-25 touch back outweigh the potential advantage you could have by having the top two WR's in the league?

By the way, I don't think there is a right/wrong answer to the question, as opposed to the QB in the 1st round argument... just thinking out loud, more than anything. I do think every year is different, though, and with the above scenario, I personally would be taking one WR for sure. Not so sure I would take a second one as well, but I am pretty sure I would think long and hard about doing so.

That said, if this were a PPR league, I don't see both Fitz and Johnson lasting until the 12th pick, which is why I would have a hard time even considering going WR/WR to start. You're basically looking at one of those two (or maybe neither one), paired up with somebody like TO, Moss, Boldin, etc., all of which have question marks coming into this season. In that case, I think you have to grab a RB (preferably one who catches some passes).

and you will see that I landed a Gopher FIsh :wacko:

Look closely....

and you will see that I landed a Gopher FIsh :D

:D

I realized that I had been hooked with I read this...

:D Except when you have done it :D

I guess now would be a good time to swim back to my hole. :wacko: