[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

WR/WR to start the draft

dirtdickens

fwiw the longest I ever waited to draft a RB was round 5(the above referenced draft) and that was in a league that required 2 starting RBs* (in all fairness it was a "best ball" format but I dont think that would have deterred me from my draft strategy)

*WCOFF starting requirements

Edited by keggerz

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

I realized that I had been hooked with I read this...

I guess now would be a good time to swim back to my hole. :wacko:

:D I think that it is a pretty well known fact that when it comes to drafting that I am a WR whore :D

I play in a 12 man ppr. If I pick late I am considering it, I have for a few years now.

Pierre Thomas keeps looking better. Ryan Grant could have a good comeback year.

They are going 58 and 50 in ADP.

Pierre Thomas keeps looking better. Ryan Grant could have a good comeback year.

They are going 58 and 50 in ADP.

i was able to land Thomas last year in the above referenced draft at 15.12(180th overall)...so just like you can mine a WR late there are times you can hit RB gold late too...but it is a bit harder that is for sure

In one of my PPR leagues last year I did draft WR/WR in a 14 teamer, and I ended up third overall. I even picked Wr in the third round. Ended up with Moss, Fitz, and C. Johnson. I lucked out, though, in that I drafted T. Jones next, Rivers, and Forte a couple of rounds later.

Chad Johnson or Calvin Johnson?

With that roster, I'm surprised you didn't win your league.

i was able to land Thomas last year in the above referenced draft at 15.12(180th overall)...so just like you can mine a WR late there are times you can hit RB gold late too...but it is a bit harder that is for sure

That's very true.

I got FWP in the 12th the year after he posted that big game against Buffalo. I likewise got Pierre as a FA in a dynasty 2 years ago after his big game. When a player posts a hugh game late in the season it sometimes a sign of things to come.

The question is then will Michael Bush shine like gold this year?

Chad Johnson or Calvin Johnson?

With that roster, I'm surprised you didn't win your league.

It was Calvin Johnson. I tore through the season, and in the semifinals, the other team had a couple of players get hot and destroy me ( A. Bryant, P. Thomas, AP, V. Jackson). The next week, his team went back to normal, and he scored a third of what he beat me with.

Like someone mentioned earlier, I don't think it's all that important which position you draft first. You just have to do your best to predict what players you can get later in the draft that will help fill out your team. If you think there will be solid RBs a couple of rounds later, take a WR. If you think you have a better chance of getting WRs later, go with a RB first.

In my experience, every time I have taken a "solid" RB first, they have disappointed. Every time I have taken a solid WR, all the other teams are happy that I drafted so poorly, and to their disappointment, I also end up in the money. But no matter who I have taken in the first, it's never been because of that player that I won. Take WR/WR if you want. Take RB/RB if you want. You aren't guarunteed anything. You aren't wrong for choosing that way. Probably half of the first round will perform poorly. If i have a chance for AP, MJD, or Turner, I will draft them. Other than that, I may go WR/WR because there will be great value at RB late this year.

Call me a fossil but I will never wait for a RB again. Last year I took Brady/Edwards/S. Smith in my main local. First time in 10 years I didnt make the playoffs.

Call me a fossil but I will never wait for a RB again. Last year I took Brady/Edwards/S. Smith in my main local. First time in 10 years I didnt make the playoffs.

Don't blame you, but it probably had more to do with Brady's knee and Braylon's suckitude than being a bad strategy. I do think if you go two WRs early, you need to wait until at least round 5 for a QB or you will regret it.

I don't know about a WR/WR. If anything it seems as though lately (depending on your scoring) that you would go WR/QB or vice versa. In my league it is the most beneficial to have a good QB. I've had the best QB the last 2 years and won both times. I will likely still go RB in the first unless I have a really good feeling about a WR in the end of the first.

I am picking 1.10 and then 2.3 in a 12 team ppr league. Very tempted to go wr/wr. I could grab AJ or Fitz and then someone like Moss or CJ. With so many RBBC's I do think it is an option. I am also assuming that the non RBBC backs are picked ahead of me.

• 2 months later...

Last 3 years in both my leagues, I followed the simple formula WR,WR,RB,RB IF you are picking 7-10. And in both leagues I made it to the super bowl. To bad I didn't win but I made it.

I recommended this strategy to several ppl and backed it up with statistics. Now I am by no means a know it all guy but if something I toyed around with and it works, I am more than happy to share my success with all of you.

If you take a running back with a late-first-rounder, you'll already be drawing from the non-elite pool at the position, and that will leave you chasing points. From 2002-08, the top-ranked running back averaged 347 compared to 225 points for the No. 8 back and 205 for the No. 10 back. You don't really help your cause by doubling down on a running back in the second round, either. For example, if every owner goes RB-RB with the first two picks, the top spot would hold an advantage of 107 points over the 10th spot. Good luck making that up, especially when you consider the owner selecting first overall will also lock in the top-ranked wide receiver in the third round in this scenario.

The 1st 4 or 5 RBs off the board are similar and as I like to call them "high end" RBs. Once they are gone, the next 15 are a crap shoot and will put up similar points for you week in and week out. Approx 20-25 points on avg.

This is a strategy in a 10 team league, if I forgot to mention.

Think of it this way, if you are picking at the 9 position,which I am doing again this year, grabbing a wr 1st, you can aquire AJ, Jennings, Moss or even Fitz if your lucky. Then grabbing one of the other formentioned WRs as your 2nd pic will benefit you greatly.

Ppl grabbing RBs at the 8-10 spot, won't benefit as much as the WRs available. After the 1st 4 or even 5 RBs get taken, there is a considerable drop off from points per game they will get you. RBs in the 3rd round and 4th consist of Bush, P.Thomas, McFadden, Grant, Stewart, Ronnie Brown and many more that I would glady have on my roster.

Edited by RJV

I think the key is making sure you can get the acceptable RBs you are aiming for in later rounds. My biggest fear when I draft WR/WR is that the sleepers I am aiming for get sniped. If that happens you can end up in deep doo-doo real quick. For instance, I think Pierre Thomas would be a fine back to take in the 3rd round after drafting 2 WRS. Unfortunately I have seen Thomas go late second round to early 4th round. So if I am drafting WR/WR thinking I am going to get a guy like Thomas, I always have a back-up plan, and then another back-up plan. If all my RBs get sniped in that 3rd round I have an alternate strategy ready.

Unless things tighten up, I think I am seeing such a wide drafting range for so many players like Pierre Thomas this year, it might be trickier than normal to figure out who will be available when your turn comes.

WR/WR can be deadly, but you have to hit on one of your running backs for sure, and those WRs better be good ones.

Another way to look at the WR/WR/RB/RB debate is in how safe those picks are. In this year's Rotowire magazine Peter Schoenke has some great historical data about how elite WRs (WRs with an ADP that year in the top 15) have fared vs. similar RBs. A couple of the more memorable stats: of the 18 (I think) WRs who had an ADP of 15 or higher, not a single one has been a bust ("bust" being didn't finish the season in the top 24 at the position, meaning they would have been an every-week starter in a 12-team league); also, historically you would have been best served by taking WR/WR/RB/RB as opposed to WR/RB/WR/RB, WR/RB/RB/WR, RB/RB/WR/WR, and RB/WR/RB/WR.

We had Pete on today's radio show to discuss this research as well as more discussion on the topic (podcast link is available on the Huddle main page; that topic is covered in the second segment of Hour 1), but the article is worth a look as well.

2V

In 2003 I drafted WR/WR/WR/WR 1st 4 rounds in an online national contest missed winning $15,000 by 6 pts finished 3rd out of 72 teams won $3,150.

If it wasn't for the dude who messed up in adding up the stats from the USA Today sports page you would have won first.

I went WR/WR last year in a 12 team standard scoring non-PPR with the 9th pick.

All hell broke out when I joined my draft room, my Active-X didn't perform and I was stuck in auto draft through the first 4 rounds.

1. Wayne

2. Johnson

3. McNabb

4. Stewart

Found Ray Rice in the 9th and struck gold with Pierre Thomas in the 12th.

I lost the league championship by a dozen points, but it made for an interesting season trying to plug holes on the waiver wire every week at $5 a pop.

IMO - Stud WR win you games in the reg season, Sutd RBs win you playoff games and Superbowls.

That certainly seems to be true because teams run more as the weather gets colder. But times change and more RBBC's means less RB's drafted in the first round. WR/WR is risky but certainly a good strategy depending on where you draft and who you pick up.

Brentastic pointed out that a couple of WRs score on the same level as top RBs and I looked at some numbers regarding playoff scoring and the same held true there also. Picking the right guys could be tough, but two of the 3 WRs that tradintionally score on that level throughout the season do the same in the playoffs. Fitz and AJ have two of the easiest passing schedules during the playoffs this year.