dirtdickens

WR/WR to start the draft

This is a question that I always ponder year in and year out. I think it varies year to year. I think it all depends on where you are and the value you have at your pick. I'm in this Chicago Fantasy Football League, and it is very competitive so, I always try and get the best value based on each pick.

That's why I only play in non-competitive leagues.

Last year I started with Owens/Moss

Never again will I draft a WR in the first two rounds.

You just picked the wrong ones.

You just picked the wrong ones.

No kidding. If I draft Fitz and AJ this year, my odds of collapse should be about the same.

Everyone and their mom is going to try to do this this season. How does that affect the rest of the draft?

I am seriously considering doing this. I have the 10 pick in a 12 man league. I dont think i will have AJ/Fitz but may still go WR/WR. I have never done anythhing like this before. I have 1 teams this year both at the 10 spot so thinking i will do this on one of them.

I am seriously considering doing this. I have the 10 pick in a 12 man league. I dont think i will have AJ/Fitz but may still go WR/WR. I have never done anythhing like this before. I have 1 teams this year both at the 10 spot so thinking i will do this on one of them.

See...i think if it falls to you that going WR.WR is the best thing to do...do it. I am going to assume some guys are going to go WR/WR at all costs and end up with say...Calvin johnson/Roddy white which I would not want to bet my season on

Everyone and their mom is going to try to do this this season.

In the Huddle Ladder : Practice Squad division, out of 12-teams in the first two rounds, only 11 of the first 24 picks were WR. Only two teams went WR/WR. (And only two teams went RB/RB.)

I think most people find it too risky and would rather go with a mix of positions.

In the Huddle Ladder : Practice Squad division, out of 12-teams in the first two rounds, only 11 of the first 24 picks were WR. Only two teams went WR/WR. (And only two teams went RB/RB.)

I think most people find it too risky and would rather go with a mix of positions.

refer to the post above...

I didn't care about position, I Muto'd my draft....:wacko:

Hopefully this remains true. we will see what my draft brings me...but if i can leave the first 3 rounds with

LT

Steve Smith

Pierre Thomas

I would be ok with that.

Hopefully this remains true. we will see what my draft brings me...but if i can leave the first 3 rounds with

LT

Steve Smith

Pierre Thomas

I would be ok with that.

assuming you take LT around 5th or 6th in a 12 team draft, it would be extremely tough to see Smitty there in the 2nd....

that would be an amazing 1st 3 rounds...

assuming you take LT around 5th or 6th in a 12 team draft, it would be extremely tough to see Smitty there in the 2nd....

LT-Keeper

then i get the 9th pick after 10 keepers are chosen.

10 team league:(

Edited by LayLow

refer to the post above...

I didn't care about position, I Muto'd my draft....:wacko:

You 3 RBs that could all potentially finish in the top 5. If that happens, I could play WR for your team.

I just got Smitty with the 6th pick of the 2nd round.... in a 16 team league.

You 3 RBs that could all potentially finish in the top 5. If that happens, I could play WR for your team.

considering I followed the Muto Handbook for drafting, I'd say it's pretty much a lock...

the only problem is I'm not in a $50,000 league :wacko:

I just got Smitty with the 6th pick of the 2nd round.... in a 16 team league.

:wacko:

LT-Keeper

then i get the 9th pick after 10 keepers are chosen.

10 team league:(

ahaah typical...I'm like 1-3 for that one...

Another way to look at the WR/WR/RB/RB debate is in how safe those picks are. In this year's Rotowire magazine Peter Schoenke has some great historical data about how elite WRs (WRs with an ADP that year in the top 15) have fared vs. similar RBs. A couple of the more memorable stats: of the 18 (I think) WRs who had an ADP of 15 or higher, not a single one has been a bust ("bust" being didn't finish the season in the top 24 at the position, meaning they would have been an every-week starter in a 12-team league); also, historically you would have been best served by taking WR/WR/RB/RB as opposed to WR/RB/WR/RB, WR/RB/RB/WR, RB/RB/WR/WR, and RB/WR/RB/WR.

We had Pete on today's radio show to discuss this research as well as more discussion on the topic (podcast link is available on the Huddle main page; that topic is covered in the second segment of Hour 1), but the article is worth a look as well.

2V

where is the article you are talking about? anyone? thanks....

SOFA IDP Draft had 5 WRs go in the 1st round and I went WR/WR (Wayne/Smitty) from the 12 slot(and took another WR (Housh)with my 3rd before grabbing a RB (Bush).

USA Today (1.7 AJ & 2.6 Jennings) and Fantasy Insights (1.3 Fitz & 2.10 RWhite) also went WR/WR to start the draft.

I should note that this is a PPR league and we start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 2DL, 3LB, 2DB

Edited by keggerz

I'm thinking seriously about wr/wr since I have the 11th pick in a 12 team league and there is PPR for WR and TE only, not for RB.

interesting thing in the draft I linked above...thru 4 rounds there are 5 teams with just ONE RB

Another way to look at the WR/WR/RB/RB debate is in how safe those picks are. In this year's Rotowire magazine Peter Schoenke has some great historical data about how elite WRs (WRs with an ADP that year in the top 15) have fared vs. similar RBs. A couple of the more memorable stats: of the 18 (I think) WRs who had an ADP of 15 or higher, not a single one has been a bust ("bust" being didn't finish the season in the top 24 at the position, meaning they would have been an every-week starter in a 12-team league); also, historically you would have been best served by taking WR/WR/RB/RB as opposed to WR/RB/WR/RB, WR/RB/RB/WR, RB/RB/WR/WR, and RB/WR/RB/WR.

We had Pete on today's radio show to discuss this research as well as more discussion on the topic (podcast link is available on the Huddle main page; that topic is covered in the second segment of Hour 1), but the article is worth a look as well.

2V

where is the article you are talking about? anyone? thanks....

pages 8 and 9 of Rotowire Fantasy Football Guide 2009.

ESPN.com also had an article with a similar approach.