[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Urijah Faber vs MIke Brown II

Ziachild007

I know a lot of you probably don't follow the little guys in the WEC, but last night was one of the beft fights I have seen since I have been watching MMA. FOr those that don't know the WEC is owned by the same company the owns UFC, but it showcases the lighter weight classes (Bantamweight - 135 lbs. to 125 lbs, Featherweight - over 135 lbs. to 145 lbs, Lightweight - over 145 lbs. to 155 lbs, Welterweight - over 155 lbs. to 170 lbs, Middleweight - over 170 lbs. to 185 lbs.)

Last nights match was between featherweight champion Mike Brown and former champion Urijah Faber "the California Kid." Brown beat Faber for the title last November after a 3 year title run. So this was a widely anticipated rematch. Both fighters fought a very good, exciting fight that went the full five rounds. Even more corageous on Faber's part was the fact that he severely injured his right hand in the first round and then injured his left hand later. This left him having to use kicks and elbows in the standup game. He did have a couple of chances at submission, but I am guessing he couldn't lock in very good because of the hand injuries. Brown fought a great fight as well and deserved the decision. Great fight overall and great card in general if you like to watch the smaller guys go at it. I think Versus will be replaying the fight tonight at 8 PM ET.

interesting fight. even though brown rightfully got the decision, I come away more impressed with faber. dude busted both hands, all he could throw were right elbows and left slaps after the middle of the first round. brown had a zero-handed fighter in front of him for 5 rounds and couldn't really get him in trouble. I think faber wins handily if not for having his striking game completely neutralized by injury. both those guys have some ridiculous skills on the ground, brown with his brute strength and faber with his quickness. some of those ground sequences were awesome to watch. typically, when two guys fight twice and the same guy wins both times, they don't fight again because it's pretty well established that he has the other guy's number. but personally, I'd love to see a third go-round and would actually give faber a better-than-50/50 chance of winning.

interesting fight. even though brown rightfully got the decision, I come away more impressed with faber. dude busted both hands, all he could throw were right elbows and left slaps after the middle of the first round. brown had a zero-handed fighter in front of him for 5 rounds and couldn't really get him in trouble. I think faber wins handily if not for having his striking game completely neutralized by injury. both those guys have some ridiculous skills on the ground, brown with his brute strength and faber with his quickness. some of those ground sequences were awesome to watch. typically, when two guys fight twice and the same guy wins both times, they don't fight again because it's pretty well established that he has the other guy's number. but personally, I'd love to see a third go-round and would actually give faber a better-than-50/50 chance of winning.

Me too and wouldn't be surprised if we did get to see a third fight between the two. They are both clearly the top of their class and both previous fights have been great from a technical and viewer perspective.

dammit - totally forgot about this, will check it out tonight - both Brown and Faber are awesome fighters

too bad to see Pulver take the L - looks like he may be done

Cerrone is one of my favorite fighters as well- dude is seriously talented and I think he will eventually be a big star in the UFC

Did anyone catch the StrikeForce event on Showtime on Saturday night? I recorded that one also.. a few good fights, and Arlovski getting KOd in 20 seconds. Interesting as I had just read a piece on his opponent about how he had just given up his job at Sam's Club to train full time.

• 2 weeks later...
Did anyone catch the StrikeForce event on Showtime on Saturday night? I recorded that one also.. a few good fights, and Arlovski getting KOd in 20 seconds. Interesting as I had just read a piece on his opponent about how he had just given up his job at Sam's Club to train full time.

You're referring to Brett Rodgers. He was in limbo for close to a year because of Elite XC closing it's doors and him being an under exclusive contract with them. It took lawyers from Strikeforce to get everything clear. During that time he couldn't take a fight with any promotion, which means no fight money. I'm sure he was making some decent money on endorsments, as that's how fighters make a large percent of there money anyways, but yeah...

All in all it was one of the better cards of the year. Jake Shields and Nick Diaz made all BJJers proud. Sheilds is a submission master and caught a much bigger/stronger/powerful Robbie Lawler in a guillitine choke. It doesn't matter who you are, if you get caught in one of those, you're done.

Nick Diaz is pure greatness. He's rubs people the wrong way, but the guy is an elite sub-machine and he puts on clinics with his boxing each fight. He doesn't pack a ton of power in his punches, but he's so good with that jab that he'll kill you slowly. I absolutely love watching him fight.

Allister Overeem, the HW champ of Strikeforce is set to fight at the next card. If you haven't seen Overeem, get ready for a hell of a show.

dammit - totally forgot about this, will check it out tonight - both Brown and Faber are awesome fighters

too bad to see Pulver take the L - looks like he may be done

Cerrone is one of my favorite fighters as well- dude is seriously talented and I think he will eventually be a big star in the UFC

Cerrone is a fun fighter, although I doubt he ever makes an impact in the UFC. If he's at 155 he'll have to go up against much bigger stronger guys in that class. As much as I dislike wrestlers, I think a Frankie Edgar, Sherk or Clay Guida would lay and pray him to a decision, or he gets subbed by Nate Diaz. 155 is a stacked weight class, especially when you have monsters like Sean Sherk and Clay Guida as the gatekeepers to the division.

Cerrone is a fun fighter, although I doubt he ever makes an impact in the UFC. If he's at 155 he'll have to go up against much bigger stronger guys in that class. As much as I dislike wrestlers, I think a Frankie Edgar, Sherk or Clay Guida would lay and pray him to a decision, or he gets subbed by Nate Diaz. 155 is a stacked weight class, especially when you have monsters like Sean Sherk and Clay Guida as the gatekeepers to the division.

we shall see - I think the dude is ridiculously talented, tough and well-rounded and will just get better and better. As much as I like Guida, he is in for a rough go of it with Sanchez, and unfortunately I think Diego will beat him. As for guys like Sherk and Clay....... I think Cerrone would pose his own set of problems for those guys - I think he destroys Varner the next time around - and Dana gets him in the UFC here quickly

we shall see - I think the dude is ridiculously talented, tough and well-rounded and will just get better and better. As much as I like Guida, he is in for a rough go of it with Sanchez, and unfortunately I think Diego will beat him. As for guys like Sherk and Clay....... I think Cerrone would pose his own set of problems for those guys - I think he destroys Varner the next time around - and Dana gets him in the UFC here quickly

Oh, I give Guida no chance at beating Diego Sanchez. Sanchez at 155 is going to be a monster. He and Sherk both spent time at 170, so they're massive 155'ers. I think Diego will be either the 2nd, or 3rd best at 155 depending on where Florian is. Guida handled Nate Diaz last time around, and I think Nate's jits is better than Cerrone's. Sherk is lightyears better than Guida in my opinion, and I don't have him in the top five at 155 in the UFC.

Penn

Florian

Sanchez

Edgar

Maynard

I would like to see Aoki and Eddie Alvarez in the UFC, as I think they could at least test Penn a little more than the current crop of 155ers will.

I do agree with you though, he is extremely talented and well rounded. I'll be rooting for him to suceed, but I think he has a ways to go before the UFC will be calling him.

Edited by piratesownninjas