[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pitt Pirate homers.

Sgt Ryan

You may have got the steal of the draft.

Pick 253, Billy "Colton" Cain from Waxahachie High School.

This kid is the son of one of my buddies, and we watched him pitch 20 times the past 2 years. He single handedly took Hachie to state his junior year, winning every opening series game, with Hachie losing game 2 of every best of 3 series, and he won every elimination game all the way to the state final game. But because he was used the night before, he couldnt pitch the final and Hachie was state runner up in 2008. This year, he led the dallas area in HR, top 5 in BA, and led in Ks with 117 in 47 ings. This year the team simply graduated too much experience at the plate. Colt got walked alot in the playoffs, as teams could just pitch around him. In their final game, 1 run was enough to beat the Waxahachie Indians.

In Colts final game, it was an amazing sight. there were 19 pro scouts with pitching guns in the stands clocking his every pitch. Its amazing watching that many scouts gush over this high school kid. Colt was going 19 at the latest to the Cardinals, but his demand of 2.5 was more than they were willing to offer. So he slid to round 8. Pitt is said to have gone the safe route in round 1, to take some chances on guys that fall because of signability later. Colt was obviously disappointed he didnt go where his talent ranked him, but he has a full ride to UT, and has the ability to be a 2 way player, pitcher and 1B for the #1 Horns. Personally Id like to see him go to college, because if he continues to improve like he has the past 2 years, he will be a top 5 pick in 3 years and demand more than Pitt can muster up at this point. But Keith, Colts dad told me tonight, the Pirates visited the house and are said to be offering 1.5 to get him signed. So they clearly have a tough decision to make. Take the money and go to work, as Colt calls it. Or enjoy college for the next 3 years, be coached by one of the best college managers in the game, and contend for multiple National Championships. Easy decision for me, but Im not being offered 1.5 to sign my name like Colt is.

http://www.withthefirstpick.net/colton-cain

Waxahachie Daily LightSchool: Waxahachie High School (Texas)

Class: HS Senior

Height: 6′3″

Weight: 225 lbs.

Bats: Left

Throws: Left

Position: 1b

Hometown: Waxahachie, TX

College Commitment: Texas

Previously Drafted: None

Ranking: #14 (86) -- as of 4/21

Strengths:

Colton Cain is the premier high school first baseman in the draft. He's a left-handed hitter with above-average power and a good swing. If he honors his commitment to Texas, he could be a two-way prospect, as his fastball off the mound reaches 90 mph. It would probably be a stretch for a pro team to draft him as a pitcher, but his arm strength is an asset at first base.

Weaknesses:

Cain's biggest weakness is his speed. His 7.31 60 yard dash time is well below average.

The Future:

Cain should be the second first baseman taken off the board after Georgia's Rich Poythress (assuming Dustin Ackley is drafted as an outfielder). He should be drafted in the middle or the end of the first round.

If he is any good, you will see him sold to team with money once he becomes a Pittsburgh Pirate star.

Sad but true. :wacko:

My 21 year-old boy, who loves baseball, has zero memory of the Pirates ever being in a playoff game. They were in the playoffs when he was a todler but never since.

The City of Champions really misses a competitive baseball team.

If he is any good, you will see him sold to team with money once he becomes a Pittsburgh Pirate star.

Sad but true. :wacko:

My 21 year-old boy, who loves baseball, has zero memory of the Pirates ever being in a playoff game. They were in the playoffs when he was a todler but never since.

The City of Champions really misses a competitive baseball team.

It is two / three years away, but, it is coming. The group that took over prior to the beginning of last year is doing it the right way. In prior years, we gave away guys like Aramis Ramirez for absolutely nothing in salary dump moves. We wouldn't draft the best player available because we couldn't afford to pay the contract.

You can't see it in the results yet, but, those days are gone. The Bay trade brought in guys like Craig Hansen (25), Brandon Moss (25), Andy LaRoche (25), Bryan Morris (22), the Nady / Marte trade brought in Ross Ohlendorf (26), Jose Tabata (20), Jeff Karstens (26), Dan McCutcheon (26), the McLouth trade got us Gorkys Hernandez (21), Charlie Morton (25), Jeff Locke (21).....but, more importantly, allowed our superstar 22-year old Andrew McCutchen to begin his Pirates career.

McCutcheon is the real deal an is already showing it in Pittsburgh.

Pedro Alvarez our recent #1 pick is already showing tremendous power and has scouts buzzing that he could be a 30/40 HR hitter

Andy LaRoche is starting to show that he could become a solid MLB hitter

Ross Ohlendorf is already becoming a very solid starter for the Pirates

Jose Tabata is only 20 years old and scouts have been salivating over his tremendous power potential

Gorkys Hernandez is hitting very well in AA

Bryan Morris is thought to be the prize of the Bay trade with his potential to be a top of the rotation guy soon

Charlie Morton has been terrific in AAA all season and we'll see what he does with the Bucs now.

Moss, Hansen, & Karstens haven't shown much in the bigs yet, but, they are young enough to possibly develop

Dan McCutcheon has shown potential

Jeff Locke is a lefty with 94+ speed and is young enough to develop.

I know not all of these youngsters will work out, but, for once, the cupboard isn't bare and there is help on the horizon. I really think this administration is off to a good start in building this team from the ground up. Time will tell if I'm right or not. Give it 2 to 3 years and we will once again be cheering a contending baseball team in Pittsburgh.