[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Death watch: Michael Jackson...

eposty

the thing i dont get is the public mourning of hollywood stars. if i dont know you personally, im not shedding any tears. :wacko:

First off, I completely agree with this.

Secondly, nobody should confuse what I am about to say as condoning his lifestyle or choices. It's rather certain that the dude was absolutely insane and quite likely criminally so. My issue, especially with how quickly the jokes started popping up after he died is how pathetic that paints us as society. We make these people what they are. Jackson was his family's meal ticket by age 11. That's totally messed up. And the list of children so denied the opportunity to be children that turn out normal doesn't appear to be long. You can pretty much set the alarm once you see some child thrust into the spotlight at 5-10 years and then watch them implode. But we just love to build them up just to turn around and stone them once they start screwing up.

In the little amount Ive seen about his life, it looks like his parents are freaking evil. Of course, his parents were only chasing dollars that we were happy to shower upon them. Not you, you say? Fine, maybe not specifically in this case. However, we here at the huddle represent among the most dedicated fans to a sport that perpetuates the same crap in a different way. Instead of feasting on child stars, we fork over our dollars to subsidize a system that deludes young men in a way that absolutely destroys their sense of perspective and values. In very rare cases, they at least end up with enough money to get away with being a social retard. But usually, they just get spit out the back end knowing only how to block and tackle. So, when out pops Pacman Jones, we point fingers. Then go back to tailgating and feeding the beast. If you want to pretend there's much of a difference, then go ahead, but understand that you're absolutely wrong.

It is really a shame. Funny thing, is that I was never a huge fan. None the less, I absolutely recognize the genius and actually made a point of finding one of the stations playing nothing but his stuff today if for no other reason than out of respect for the passing of a musical great.

Once again, I'm not saying that Jackson should be given a free pass on what he did. I just don't think all of us should either.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I completely agree with this.............

Once again, I'm not saying that Jackson should be given a free pass on what he did. I just don't think all of us should either.

it appears that an insane amount of money makes people go nuts. celebrities, lottery winners.

it appears that an insane amount of money makes people go nuts. celebrities, lottery winners.

Actually, I know some insanely wealthy people who are rather well adjusted. I would imagine it has more to do with not being ever able to do anything at all without people getting in your face. I am about certain that would drive me freaking nuts.

As for the lottery winners, I would imagine that has to do with just being handed something that you didn't really earn and would wager that their problem is more often with blowing their cash than actually going nuts. I've known a few people who came into chunks of money via lottery or inheritance and when it went south for them it was just because they got lazy and drunk (or worse).

Edited by detlef

However, we here at the huddle represent among the most dedicated fans to a sport that perpetuates the same crap in a different way. Instead of feasting on child stars, we fork over our dollars to subsidize a system that deludes young men in a way that absolutely destroys their sense of perspective and values. In very rare cases, they at least end up with enough money to get away with being a social retard. But usually, they just get spit out the back end knowing only how to block and tackle. So, when out pops Pacman Jones, we point fingers. Then go back to tailgating and feeding the beast.

so what is it ... turner or forte with the 3rd pick?

Andrew Sullivan posted this yesterday and it captures how I feel:

"I loved his music. His young voice was almost a miracle, his poise in retrospect eery, his joy, tempered by pain, often unbearably uplifting. He made the greatest music video of all time; and he made some of the greatest records of all time. He was everything our culture worships; and yet he was obviously desperately unhappy, tortured, afraid and alone.

I grieve for him; but I also grieve for the culture that created and destroyed him. That culture is ours' and it is a lethal and brutal one: with fame and celebrity as its core values, with money as its sole motive, it chewed this child up and spat him out. "

In honor of Michael a top ten, in this case a Five and Five. Five hits you know, and five you should.

10. "Forever Came Today"

9. "I Am Love"

8. "Heartbreak Hotel" aka "This Place Hotel"

7. "I Wanna Be Where You Are"

6. "Can You Feel It"

5. "Dancing Machine"

4. "Man In The Mirror"

3. "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough"

2. "Billie Jean"

1. "I Want You Back"

Andrew Sullivan posted this yesterday and it captures how I feel:

"I loved his music. His young voice was almost a miracle, his poise in retrospect eery, his joy, tempered by pain, often unbearably uplifting. He made the greatest music video of all time; and he made some of the greatest records of all time. He was everything our culture worships; and yet he was obviously desperately unhappy, tortured, afraid and alone.

I grieve for him; but I also grieve for the culture that created and destroyed him. That culture is ours' and it is a lethal and brutal one: with fame and celebrity as its core values, with money as its sole motive, it chewed this child up and spat him out. "

In honor of Michael a top ten, in this case a Five and Five. Five hits you know, and five you should.

10. "Forever Came Today"

9. "I Am Love"

8. "Heartbreak Hotel" aka "This Place Hotel"

7. "I Wanna Be Where You Are"

6. "Can You Feel It"

5. "Dancing Machine"

4. "Man In The Mirror"

3. "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough"

2. "Billie Jean"

1. "I Want You Back"

i guess society and greed made him a boy toucher too

Edited by dmarc117

So we're playing the "blaming society" card? God forbid someone actually be held responsible for his actions. I just can't give this guy a free pass, as much as Detlef's post is fair and not inaccurate, I still can't see how someone that's behaved like he did is still immortalized by the masses.

i guess society and greed made him a boy toucher too

as i said in the other thread, i don't think the guy molested anyone. he wanted to be a kid. he wanted to have slumber parties and sleepovers and jammies and snacks and all that crap because he never had them as a kid. as a result, given enough money and power, he could create his own disneyland and have kids come to play with him. the problem with all this is that he was a 40 year old man, not a 12 year old kid. the guy lacked maturity and any guiding figure in his life to get him to grow up and be a man. so take a billionaire and let him have a sleepover with somebody's kid and in today's world, you bet your az that they are going to bring the lawsuits.

now, maybe he is a raging pervert as well, but i just have a hard time believing that. he did causes for kids, celebrated kids, and did all he could to try and entertain and make kids happy. ultimately, he took it too far and was too ignorant/stupid/immature to know what he was doing was wildly inappropriate. combine that will all the surgeries to try and look like peter pan and you have one f-d up individual. i pity the guy. so much talent ultimately wasted ...

as i said in the other thread, i don't think the guy molested anyone. he wanted to be a kid. he wanted to have slumber parties and sleepovers and jammies and snacks and all that crap because he never had them as a kid.

:wacko:

For reals?

Wow.

Ok.

as i said in the other thread, i don't think the guy molested anyone. he wanted to be a kid. he wanted to have slumber parties and sleepovers and jammies and snacks and all that crap because he never had them as a kid. as a result, given enough money and power, he could create his own disneyland and have kids come to play with him. the problem with all this is that he was a 40 year old man, not a 12 year old kid. the guy lacked maturity and any guiding figure in his life to get him to grow up and be a man. so take a billionaire and let him have a sleepover with somebody's kid and in today's world, you bet your az that they are going to bring the lawsuits.

now, maybe he is a raging pervert as well, but i just have a hard time believing that. he did causes for kids, celebrated kids, and did all he could to try and entertain and make kids happy. ultimately, he took it too far and was too ignorant/stupid/immature to know what he was doing was wildly inappropriate. combine that will all the surgeries to try and look like peter pan and you have one f-d up individual. i pity the guy. so much talent ultimately wasted ...

ummm....i want to be a woman then :wacko:

For reals?

Wow.

Ok.

the only thing you have to dispute that is the testimony of a kid drugged by his father who was way behind in his alimony payments.

so i guess it comes down to where you want to place your assumption of demented behavior ... either on the child molester or the gold digger.

from all his interviews and even his latter music, everything points to this guy having some severely stunted growth and many, many psychological issues. maybe with all that mess is a pedaphile as well, but i just can't see it.

the first part of Andrew Sullivan's piece:

There are two things to say about him. He was a musical genius; and he was an abused child. By abuse, I do not mean sexual abuse; I mean he was used brutally and callously for money, and clearly imprisoned by a tyrannical father. He had no real childhood and spent much of his later life struggling to get one. He was spiritually and psychologically raped at a very early age - and never recovered. Watching him change his race, his age, and almost his gender, you saw a tortured soul seeking what the rest of us take for granted: a normal life.

But he had no compass to find one; no real friends to support and advise him; and money and fame imprisoned him in the delusions of narcissism and self-indulgence. Of course, he bears responsibility for his bizarre life. But the damage done to him by his own family and then by all those motivated more by money and power than by faith and love was irreparable in the end. He died a while ago. He remained for so long a walking human shell.

the first part of Andrew Sullivan's piece:

There are two things to say about him. He was a musical genius; and he was an abused child. By abuse, I do not mean sexual abuse; I mean he was used brutally and callously for money, and clearly imprisoned by a tyrannical father. He had no real childhood and spent much of his later life struggling to get one. He was spiritually and psychologically raped at a very early age - and never recovered. Watching him change his race, his age, and almost his gender, you saw a tortured soul seeking what the rest of us take for granted: a normal life.

But he had no compass to find one; no real friends to support and advise him; and money and fame imprisoned him in the delusions of narcissism and self-indulgence. Of course, he bears responsibility for his bizarre life. But the damage done to him by his own family and then by all those motivated more by money and power than by faith and love was irreparable in the end. He died a while ago. He remained for so long a walking human shell.

Good take. Everybody wanted a piece of him.

Latoya threw him under the bus when she said that all of the allegations against him were true. She later recanted and said that she said all of that for money. Michael eventually forgave her. That must have been hard to do.

FOX news did the un-thinkable. They have a link to 8 ways Michael Jackson impacted sports.

The eighth way is Brett Favre and the comeback tours.

Wow. Thanks Michael! or Thanks FOX for getting Favre into the story. He should be in all stories.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/pgStory?conte...p;photo=9734294

Edited by MikesVikes

the only thing you have to dispute that is the testimony of a kid drugged by his father who was way behind in his alimony payments.

so i guess it comes down to where you want to place your assumption of demented behavior ... either on the child molester or the gold digger.

from all his interviews and even his latter music, everything points to this guy having some severely stunted growth and many, many psychological issues. maybe with all that mess is a pedaphile as well, but i just can't see it.

tell that to Macaulay Culkin

I can't say with 100% certainty whether he molested kids or not.

The guy was a ridiculously talented musician and entertainer.

"Thriller" was one of the best albums of all time, in my opinion.

The guy was also extremely odd & different, which isn't a crime.

As for his place in the after-life, I'll let God make that judgment, God knows.

So we're playing the "blaming society" card? God forbid someone actually be held responsible for his actions. I just can't give this guy a free pass, as much as Detlef's post is fair and not inaccurate, I still can't see how someone that's behaved like he did is still immortalized by the masses.

Funny, the difference between our two stances is that I am neither giving Jackson or society a free pass on this one and yet you're the one making the plea for holding people accountable for their actions. Honestly, I think it's freaking bizarre the degree to which anyone is idolized by the masses. There are certainly no shortage of artists whom I have great respect for their talent and realize that they are far better at what they do than I am at what I do. But that's where it ends. When I've been fortunate enough to meet a few of them, it's been cool but I haven't lost sight of the fact that they still take a crap each day just like I do.

I should also add that there are countless celebrities that I have absolutely no interest in ever meeting. Many pro athletes included.

To be honest, mostly I blame those closest to Jackson as a child for the degree to which he was screwed up. Society at large was just a vaguely willing accomplice. But society is always a vaguely willing accomplice. And, as fans of major pro sports we can't hold ourselves above anyone in this regard.

FOX news did the un-thinkable. They have a link to 8 ways Michael Jackson impacted sports.

The eighth way is Brett Favre and the comeback tours.

Wow. Thanks Michael! or Thanks FOX for getting Favre into the story. He should be in all stories.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/pgStory?conte...p;photo=9734294

At the Favre connection and the fact that all 8 of those ways were insane stretches.