[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steven Jackson

hooknladder

My bad. I must have been looking at the wrong game log or something. I see it now. I honestly have no clue what I was looking for. Thanks for straightening that out.

Isn't it alarming then that he only had one last year?

I honestly don't thnk Jackson plays all that hard once the Rams play themselves out of the race. I think he sits games when he doesn't need to. Unless you see St. Louis being much more competetive, I think there has to be a possibility where this kind of behavior happens again.

actually, it's the exact opposite because he's had some of his best stretch of games in December....

he just has a problem with starting slow and he's hit or miss in the middle of the season....but he usually finishes strong..

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the question, is can he return to form?(2006)

if healthy...I think he can get into a groove and have a stretch of 6 games where he puts up great numbers for about 4 of them and then have a few other good games outside of that stretch...

but staying healthy is the main factor....and I don't mean missing time, I mean playing hurt because I remembering him playing with some sort of damage to his chest a few years ago which resulted in him playing mediocre except for one game where he went absolutely bonkers...

SJ is a stud and one of the few RB's out there that is 1st round worthy. Most importantly, he is the centerpiece of the Rams offense and will get the touches. Unfortunately, the O-line has been crap and he's been injury prone. Like others have said earlier, the Rams have little to no weapons in the passing game as well which will make owners hesitant. That's fine with me, I'll take him late in the 1st round and worry about his injuries if/when they occur. In PPR leagues, SJ is a top performer and always contributes in the passing game even if his rushing totals are subpar.

He had one outstanding year where he caught like 70-80 balls, while playing the Faulk role in the Mike Martz offense. Since Martz left he has had no more than 43 catches in any season. Not sure that qualifies as "always contributing in the passing game".

He had one outstanding year where he caught like 70-80 balls, while playing the Faulk role in the Mike Martz offense. Since Martz left he has had no more than 43 catches in any season. Not sure that qualifies as "always contributing in the passing game".

just to be clear...it was 90 catches for 806 yds and 3td. (and Martz was gone)

168 catches in 40 games =4.2 catches per game...i'd say thats always contributing

This argument works both ways. You could argue that Jackson has cost way more owners playoff appearances than he has won them championships. I would bet that a very very small number of people that have drafted him in the first round the past two years have ended up in their fantasy playoffs.

I dunno, I've had about half the guys on that list, give or take. I've won championships with a good number of them. In the league I have had Jackson in for the past two years, I haven't been all that competetive, despite having good talent at other postions. Still, I think people are getting caught up with the way he looks in pads, rather than his numbers. Remember, fantasy football is all about the numbers.

I drafted SJax last year in round 1 and won our Superbowl. He was a very solid RB when he played. Certainly my team had a lot of help from other players that I got later n the draft (Chris Johnson, Calvin, Ant Bryant), and I ran through the playoffs without anyone coming within 25pts of my team.

Here are the other RBs who were drafted in the first round of my league listed with total pts and pts in playoffs (wk 14-16) when it counts the most. We use decimals in our league (1 rush yard = 0.1pts)

LT 226.6 / 39.5

AP 244.4 / 35.7

Addai 116 / 4.0

Westbrook 217.3 / 51.6 (33.3 in wk 14)

MB3 182.4 / 3.3

Gore 185.9 / 12.5

Portis 218.5 / 25.0

Lynch 186.6 / 26.9

S Jackson 185.2 / 39.3

So Jackson came through in the playoffs for me as consistent as any RB drafted in round 1. Also, my team beat AP's team in the Superbowl (SJax = 11.9 and AP = 7.2). Was SJax's as great as I had hoped last year? Of course not. But can he really be considered a bust when you compare him to the rest of the round 1 picks? I don't think so, and I will draft him again this year in round 1 if I can. His team will be improved, and if he can stay healthy he will be even better.

I do not understand why you compare stats without noting the number of games he played. Those 40 catches came in basically 11 games last year. If you extrapolate that across 16 games it would have been roughly 58 catches. I don't know what you expect, but I think 58 catches is a lot.

SJax's issue is not lack of catches, it is staying on the field. When he is on the field, he is one of the best fantasy RBs. Now we (owners) would love to see him stay on the field all year. However, I think RB health in the NFL is a crapshoot with anyone. So I do not consider this a deal breaker.

Besides, when he is hurt and misses a game, you get to replace him. I pride myself in finding good talent late in the drafts to fill in those weeks. Thus, I draft the high performing players with less weight given to health issues.

I do not understand why you compare stats without noting the number of games he played. Those 40 catches came in basically 11 games last year. If you extrapolate that across 16 games it would have been roughly 58 catches. I don't know what you expect, but I think 58 catches is a lot.

SJax's issue is not lack of catches, it is staying on the field. When he is on the field, he is one of the best fantasy RBs. Now we (owners) would love to see him stay on the field all year. However, I think RB health in the NFL is a crapshoot with anyone. So I do not consider this a deal breaker.

Besides, when he is hurt and misses a game, you get to replace him. I pride myself in finding good talent late in the drafts to fill in those weeks. Thus, I draft the high performing players with less weight given to health issues.

If a guy gets hurt every year, aren't his numbers going to suffer? I don't know about you, but I'd rather not play my backups.

If a guy gets hurt every year, aren't his numbers going to suffer? I don't know about you, but I'd rather not play my backups.

I do not know that he will get hurt this year. You have Westbrook and LT listed in one of your emails, even though they are 30+ year old RBs with a lot of milage and also coming off of injury plagued years or offseasons. Turner is coming off of a 370 carry year. If you haven't read the ESPN article on the 370 curse, you should. All of the top RBs are injury risks. Sjax's injuries thankfully have not been joints, so I am optimistic that he can make it through the year.

just to be clear...it was 90 catches for 806 yds and 3td. (and Martz was gone)

168 catches in 40 games =4.2 catches per game...i'd say thats always contributing

3.25 catches the past two years in games that he actually has played.

The big question here, is how far do you want to go back? It is my contention that going back to 2006 numbers of ANY PLAYER is quite a stretch, considering the state of the NFL. The Rams have played 32 games since then. Where has he been?

3.25 catches the past two years in games that he actually has played.

The big question here, is how far do you want to go back? It is my contention that going back to 2006 numbers of ANY PLAYER is quite a stretch, considering the state of the NFL. The Rams have played 32 games since then. Where has he been?

3.25 * 16 games = 52 catches. That would have tied for 5th best among all NFL RBs last year.

Isn't it alarming then that he only had one last year?

Based on the fact he was dinged quite a bit from having to run into linebacker every down, played behind likely the worst OL in football that offered no run blocking or pass protection (to open up the run),...no, it really isn't a shocker to me.

with everybody dropping stats and stuff, does anybody know how many lineman went down for STL over the last 2-3 years? How many games did Bulger miss?

the one season, he had his best games after Pace went down....

and Bulger getting hurt is a yearly thing..

we're not saying "reasons why Jackson sucks"....we're saying "reasons to not draft Jackson" and you just mentioned two big factors....

the rams OL is still mediocre at best and is an injury away from being "bad" again...and if Bulger gets hurt again, that can't be good for Jackson's overall value..

the one season, he had his best games after Pace went down....

and Bulger getting hurt is a yearly thing..

we're not saying "reasons why Jackson sucks"....we're saying "reasons to not draft Jackson" and you just mentioned two big factors....

the rams OL is still mediocre at best and is an injury away from being "bad" again...and if Bulger gets hurt again, that can't be good for Jackson's overall value..

...yeah, but who are you guys suggesting should be taken OVER SJAX late in round 1? -Portis, Jacobs, Slaton, Grant??? c'mon.

...yeah, but who are you guys suggesting should be taken OVER SJAX late in round 1? -Portis, Jacobs, Slaton, Grant??? c'mon.

I don't want to suggest anything because certain people tend to peruse these forums now and like to snake my picks since I have been taking the owners in my local to school for some years now...

they actually check the Huddle now and have made some picks the past 2 years that kinda go right along with what I would say on these forums....so I'm keeping my thoughts to a minimum this year...

Yes, yes, yes and yes!! Emphatically!! Yes!!! Who wouldn't take Portis over Jackson? Do you want a guy that produces annually, or one that looks like he should produce and does nothing!??! The only one of that group I would take him over is Jacobs, and pressed, I may still take Jacobs. Jackson is a fantasy franchise killer! Can anyone think of a more overhyped player in the history of fantasy sports? The guy has had one good year in his whole career. One.

Edited by Seahawks21

3.25 * 16 games = 52 catches. That would have tied for 5th best among all NFL RBs last year.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, oh what a christmas we would have!

Charles Rogers would have had 20 TD's if he didn't break his collarbone every year.

OKI, I'll pony up, Seahawks.

I'll take Jackson, you take Portis, Jacobs, Slaton & Grant.

For every player Jackson out-stats by seasons-end, you owe me $10. For every player that out-stats Jackson, I pay you $10.

Standard PPR, .1 for every yard rushing/receiving, -2 fumbles, 6 pts TDs rushed or thrown.

Deal?

Should be a no-brain $40 for you, as adamant as you are that SJax is a stiff.

Extra $10 for me if Jackson finishes Top 10 RBs, extra $10 for you if he doesn't.

OKI, I'll pony up, Seahawks.

I'll take Jackson, you take Portis, Jacobs, Slaton & Grant.

For every player Jackson out-stats by seasons-end, you owe me $10. For every player that out-stats Jackson, I pay you $10.

Standard PPR, .1 for every yard rushing/receiving, -2 fumbles, 6 pts TDs rushed or thrown.

Deal?

Should be a no-brain $40 for you, as adamant as you are that SJax is a stiff.

Extra $10 for me if Jackson finishes Top 10 RBs, extra $10 for you if he doesn't.

I like your style sir! You got yourself a deal. Well constructed. That'll be a fun one to watch.

Yes, yes, yes and yes!! Emphatically!! Yes!!! Who wouldn't take Portis over Jackson? Do you want a guy that produces annually, or one that looks like he should produce and does nothing!??! The only one of that group I would take him over is Jacobs, and pressed, I may still take Jacobs. Jackson is a fantasy franchise killer! Can anyone think of a more overhyped player in the history of fantasy sports? The guy has had one good year in his whole career. One.

Portis missed 8 games three years ago, then had some knee issues the following year in preseason. Many dubbed him as a chronic injury guy at that point and dropped him down their charts. He came through with two full and productive seasons. Why is it impossible for SJax to do that? Currently Portis has over 2000 career carries to SJax's 1200. I am still worried about Portis getting hurt after back to back 325+ carry years, and frankly I see them as equal injury risks.

So you emphatically take Slaton, Jacobs & Grant over SJax citing SJax having had one good year in his career. OK, how many good years have Slaton, Jacobs & Grant had? By my count, its 1, 1, and 1/2. So how does your one good year argument not take away from these guys?

Jacobs has missed 8 games in the last two years ever since he has been given the ball 200+/year. I believe that is the same as SJax.

Even though Grant played in 16 games to Jackson's 11.5, he still did not score as many points of SJax. How does that make him an emphatically better pick?

There is a definite argument to be made for Slaton over SJax. However, he is much smaller and I am worried that he will not take the beatings over the long haul. Plus he has Kubiak who could pull a Shanahan and throw in some undrafted rookie. They are close, but I would give a slight nod to SJax.

Portis missed 8 games three years ago, then had some knee issues the following year in preseason. Many dubbed him as a chronic injury guy at that point and dropped him down their charts. He came through with two full and productive seasons. Why is it impossible for SJax to do that? Currently Portis has over 2000 career carries to SJax's 1200. I am still worried about Portis getting hurt after back to back 325+ carry years, and frankly I see them as equal injury risks.

So you emphatically take Slaton, Jacobs & Grant over SJax citing SJax having had one good year in his career. OK, how many good years have Slaton, Jacobs & Grant had? By my count, its 1, 1, and 1/2. So how does your one good year argument not take away from these guys?

Jacobs has missed 8 games in the last two years ever since he has been given the ball 200+/year. I believe that is the same as SJax.

Even though Grant played in 16 games to Jackson's 11.5, he still did not score as many points of SJax. How does that make him an emphatically better pick?

There is a definite argument to be made for Slaton over SJax. However, he is much smaller and I am worried that he will not take the beatings over the long haul. Plus he has Kubiak who could pull a Shanahan and throw in some undrafted rookie. They are close, but I would give a slight nod to SJax.

SHHHHHHH. Please don't make such strong arguments. Let these guys take players like Portis, Jacobs, Grant, Slaton, etc. over Sjax. It just makes it better for us during our drafts! :wacko::D

I don't want to suggest anything because certain people tend to peruse these forums now and like to snake my picks since I have been taking the owners in my local to school for some years now...

they actually check the Huddle now and have made some picks the past 2 years that kinda go right along with what I would say on these forums....so I'm keeping my thoughts to a minimum this year...

yeah everyone in your league is waiting and watching for your next move! :wacko: