[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

MMA tomorrow

Flip_Side

Mir, Hendo, GSP

Lesnar, Hendo, GSP

...can't wait. I'm meeting up with my two best friends and going to the Phillies-Pirates game. After the game, we are going to find a place for the fight.

Never really got into it. Way too brutal for me.

I think it is a lot less brutal than standard boxing in many respects.

I am having a few friends over to our new house for the fights. Looking foward to it. Heading to the store shortly to pick up vittles and beverages.

I'm not sure why, but I think that Bisping is a douchebag and I will be happy if he loses.

Other than that, I just want to see some good fights.

werd - and I really like Hendo, I hope he puts that cheeky mf to sleep

I cannot wait - the entire card is sick, even fired up about the undercard - Jones/O'Brien, Bonnar/Coleman, Danzig/Miller, Dolloway/Lawlor

holy chit this sport absolutely rules

Mir looks to be in fantastic shape- I would love to see him submit Brock again

everyone seems to be on the Alves bandwagon and are calling for the upset , I don't see it and I think GSP takes it to the ground and wears him out

Lesnar didn't show any class with that WWE-style promo after the fight, but it was kinda funny. He won some people back with the Coors Light and wife lines.

There are still plenty of holes in his game, but his GnP is freakin brutal. Mir's face got rearranged.

If you liked him before, you probably love him now. If you didn't really like him before, you probably hate him now.

And if you're Dana White, you want to kiss him because his PPV draw just skyrocketed. At the same time, you don't want this to turn into the WWE and you don't need your biggest star trashing any more sponsors. :wacko:

Edited by budlitebrad

Brock's a tool... His wife comment was lame, and is a perfect example of why some people from the Midwest make the rest of us look bad. Great talent, mostly just due to his enormous size (and the inordinate amount of quickness that he displays, considering that size), but it's very clear that he hasn't spent much time around the sport of MMA... He's got the least amount of class out of anyone in the sport, and it's not even close.

On the other hand, he definitely will be good for the UFC, in terms of PPV draws, etc. I just wish he would show a little more class, instead of portraying himself like a 280-lb. meat-head with the maturity of a 5-year-old. It's almost as if, no matter how he tells himself to act beforehand, he can't hold back after the fight and stay the least bit professional... getting in Mir's face post-fight for no reason, flipping off the entire crowd, lame comments about getting "on top of" his wife (who looks like she's 45 even AFTER several plastic surgeries, by the way).... Grow up. Seriously. :wacko:

It was great to see "The Count" get knocked on his azz, and even better to see Hendo put everything he had into that last punch, leaving no doubt that Bisping wasn't getting up for at least a few minutes. Wouldn't mind seeing him get another shot against the Spider.

GSP is a machine... was impressed with Alves, though, as well. Mainly, just the way he was able to get back on his feet, after being taken down. His power and determination was impressive... at least he put up a fight and appeared to want it, as opposed to Anderson Silva's last opponent, Thales "Lay and Prey" Leites.

Too bad they only showed five fights on the PPV card, although I honestly don't know if we missed much in the ones that weren't shown... Looked to be a lot of blood on the canvas (my guess is that at least half of it came from Stephen Bonnar), but none of the names really stuck out at me as being guys I desperately wanted to watch. I wouldn't have minded seeing Lawlor choke out that punk, CB Dolloway (from a couple of seasons ago), but whatever.

Looking forward to the two cards next month, as well as Roger Huerta coming back to the Octagon in a couple of months. One a side note, I sat two rows in front of Hermes Franca on a flight from Ft. Lauderdale to Kansas City yesterday... pretty cool (I've always enjoyed his fights).

I don't think Lesnar loses again.

Please tell me your not serious? Everyone in this sport gets beat and Brock is FAR from unbeatable. The guys a beast but he'll get beat, guaranteed. The one thing I've always loved about this sport is the respect the fighters normally show after a fight. Lesnar either forgets where he's at or he's just a doo$hebag. I think it's a little of both.

Within a year were going to see one of the best matchups in UFC history when GSP moves to 185 and fights the Spider. That one will be special.

He won some people back with the Coors Light and wife lines.

There are still plenty of holes in his game, but his GnP is freakin brutal. Mir's face got rearranged.

If you liked him before, you probably love him now. If you didn't really like him before, you probably hate him now.

And if you're Dana White, you want to kiss him because his PPV draw just skyrocketed. At the same time, you don't want this to turn into the WWE and you don't need your biggest star trashing any more sponsors. :wacko:

Not so much...

Lesnar unified the heavyweight championship in only his fifth professional appearance, as he bullied his way to a technical knockout against Mir -- the only man to defeat him -- in the UFC 100 main event. His tirade afterward -- which included a low blow to the UFC’s primary sponsor, Bud Light, waving his middle fingers at the audience, taunting Mir and exposing plans for a post-fight sex romp with his wife -- drew the ire of UFC President Dana White.

The 32-year-old Lesnar claimed he was headed out to drink a Coors Light because Bud Light would not pay him any money. One of the UFC’s highest-paid fighters, he made $450,000 in disclosed pay for his TKO victory against hall of famer Randy Couture at UFC 91 in November.

“I was blown away,” White said. “I don’t think in the history of the UFC we’ve had anybody do that. It’s not who we are, and, to be honest, it’s not who he is. You hang with these guys personally, and you get to know them. If he was a dick, I’d tell you right now this guy is a psycho and I don’t know what I’m going to do with him. He’s not. He’s a smart guy. The sponsorship thing was the craziest thing I’ve ever heard in my life.”

Lesnar’s antics drudged up memories of his days as a World Wrestling Entertainment superstar, when showboating and pushing the envelope of taste were encouraged and profitable. White claimed he confronted the apologetic champion in his dressing room after he left the Octagon.

“Brock went so far over the top, I can’t even put it into words,” White said. “WWE -- that’s what it is. We had a talk. We talked like men, and he said he was sorry. He said, ‘I’m embarrassed by what I said.’ I take his word for it this time.”

Dan was the man tonight, the most brutal end of a fight Ive ever seen. Dude was out cold before he hit the ground, his head bounced, then he got drove once more for good measure. Bisping wont be talking chit to Henderson anytime soon.

GSP is the best pound for pound fighter in this sport. I was worried he may have met his match tonight, but he put on another clinic. And he is still very young and in such great shape, he may not lose for another 5 years at this weight class.

Brock is a tool, but he is fun to watch. Mir showed more emotion after getting his face rearanged, than he did during the fight. Brock is going to parellel Tyson as a draw in this sport.

This was definately worth the price.

That was absolutely the Hollywood Hendo we've all grown to love in Pride. Now if he could just stick to his damn game play he can beat Anderson. He beat him in a round, but deviated from the plan and was tapped later. Hendo is the matchup nightmare for Spider, and god I hope he brings the belt back. I thank Bisping for waking up for what looked like for a while, a bored Henderson. He as vicious as I've ever seen him.

I'd still give the p4p title to Miguel Torres, but GSP and Machida are far and away the best that the UFC has. Thigao is great, but is a one trick pony with his standup. I thought it was funny that he didn't even try to sprawl on GSP's takedowns. The dude gets much respect though from his ability to muscle out of being on the ground several times. He was definatly stronger than GSP, but GSP didn't seem too concerned. The dudes wrestling is great, and his control from the ground maybe even better.

I don't know what you wanted Mir to do, you've got to remember that Lesnar entered the cage around 295 to Mir's 245. That's equal to BJ Penn or Kenny Florian facing Anderson Silva. Lesnar shouldn't be fighting guys that size, but he has to, as there are 2-3 guys in the world that are his size. Lesnar is going to take down anyone he wants. I still would like to see a prepared Couture face off with him again, as he was dead even before he was clipped in the side of the head. For Mir to be giving up that much weight, have a hematoma lanced off his head and have his knee jacked up, I think he put up a valliant effort. It's going to be tough to beat Brock at this point. It's not going to be a ground game guy that does it. It will be a world class striker or another Brut. I have to think Shane Carwin will be the enxt to face him after he beats Cain... The dude is 6'8 and walks around comfortably at 265, so he's going to be somewhat even in the freakish size catagory.

Another guy, if he can return to form that has a chance is the great Mirco Cro Cop. The dude isn't easy to take down, and can send Lesnars head into the third row if he lands a high kick to the head. I give the likes of Cain, Gonzoga, and the Kongo's of the world no chance against him. He's a legit talent, too bad he brings what he does to the post fight interviews.

He's going to single handedly set MMA back years from the respect approach. 99% of the fighters respect the sport, where they came from, and there opponent after the fight. Once the fight is over, you at least shake a hand, but not him. His antics are going to be the target of boxing diehards and anti-MMA fans ie John McCain. Guys who have been busting ass to get MMA taken seriously and respected as a sport are being hurt by this. People who say MMA is idiocrocy now have solid footing because of what this guy is doing, and its sad. I can only hope Dana White's post fight discussion changes some things and he goes back to his pre wwe form. I have no problem talking trash pre fight, but once it's over, show some respect to your opponent, and more importantly, the sport.

Within a year were going to see one of the best matchups in UFC history when GSP moves to 185 and fights the Spider. That one will be special.

I think you're going to be disappointed greatly. If it happens, it will be destruction...

Penn and GSP are both dead even talent wise. GSP is 20-25 pounds heavier and stronger. If they're both equally as skilled, the stronger guy is going to win. Silva will do to GSP what GSP did to Penn. GSP is a big 170, Spider is a massive 185. I doubt it happens though as I think Silva fights fights Forrest, Hendo and if he beats Hendo again, will retire. If he losees, will fight Hendo again to try and go out on top. Anderson has said several times he has a experation date fight wise, and will probably be done within 2-3 more fights. If something were to happen and he gets passed these fights, I think Wand Silva would be the pairing. No need to put GSP in that situation.

He also said he wants to fight Fedor :wacko:

0% chance of Fedor ever fighting in the UFC. Fedor has already said that Dana would have to lift the constrictive contract that is the standard. Fedor will not back down from being able to compete in Sambo tournys in Mother Russia, and only wants a one fight contract... Dana will never do that as the risk is too high that he takes the belt and leaves the UFC forever...

Oh, that and he wants 1 million+ per fight. Dana isn't going to open up that pandora's box.

Please tell me your not serious? Everyone in this sport gets beat and Brock is FAR from unbeatable. The guys a beast but he'll get beat, guaranteed. The one thing I've always loved about this sport is the respect the fighters normally show after a fight. Lesnar either forgets where he's at or he's just a doo$hebag. I think it's a little of both.

I was saying he won't get beat again by Mir, dummy.

Dont get me wrong, I thought GSP and Penn were similar skill, just a size advantage, but GSP did the same thing to a much bigger guy than Penn. That is skill, not a size advantage what he did last night, which is why Im convinced GSP would beat Spider.

Thiago has zero ground game and got back to his feet what... 4 or 5 times? Anderson Silva is a legit BJJ black belt, so I'm not sure that comparision works for you.

The greatest beneficiary of each Lesnar snarl, however, lives in Stary Oskol, Russia, a man named Fedor Emelianenko who is considered the No. 1 heavyweight (if not pound-for-pound fighter) in the world. If anyone has the knockout power to stop the 6-3, 265-pound Lesnar, it’s Emelianenko.

Fedor doesn’t fight in the UFC though. He’s with its rival promotion, Affliction. He’ll fight Aug. 1 in Anaheim, Calif., in what is the last match of his contract. Affliction is hoping to re-sign him until 2012, but the UFC will come hard after him. More now then ever. And that means money, big money.

“Eventually Fedor is going to be here,” White said. “I want Fedor. We’ll end up getting that deal done and then we’ll do Brock vs. Fedor and we’ll do a huge fight.”

Time will tell, but the pressure to sign the elusive Russian has been ratcheted up. A villain was born and there isn’t an obvious superhero in sight. The UFC brought Brock Lesnar over from the WWE for just this kind of a sensation. And the big man has delivered – the good, the bad and the embarrassing.

Only Dana White has no scriptwriters that can contain him.

Money talks, and Dana White is prepared to throw a ton of dough to get what he wants, so Id say Fedor is coming after his contract is up with Affliction.....

Just like Dana White said Vitor Belfort was next in line to fight Anderson, even though he's under contract with another organization.

Just like Dana White said Allister Overeem was headed to the UFC.

I appreciate your attemp to get under my skin, but I don't care enough to be bothered by it. Check out some of the past interviews with Fedor/Fedors handlers talking about Dana and the UFC instead of linking to yahoo which is about as realiable as some tabloid trash.

Fedor's handlers are batcrap insane. They've long said that they want close to a million a fight, which won't happen, especially when he's handing out 400,000 grand to his biggest fighters on his biggest cards. They've also maintained that they don't want to limit Fedor to only competing in the UFC. He wants to be free to fight in Sambo tournements around the world, and doesn't want to do anything over a one fight contract.

Fedor has said that he woudl come to the UFC for one fight, and pit his WAMMA belt against the UFC HW belt for one fight, something that doesn't make sense from a business standpoint for Dana White and company.

Fedor will not sign anything limiting him or something that would bind him to anything lengthy. Dana White is aware of the very good chances that Fedor wins a fight against Brock Lesnar. For Dana to do anything that would allow his belt to won by someone who then exits the UFC isn't a smart business decision.

One other part that doesn't make sense is the payout. At this point, Dana White and the UFC are still peaking. They don't need to go out and pay Fedor a ton of money to come in and fight Lesnar. Is it what you, me, or someone who's been watching this for years would like? Yes. Is it something that the DudeBro's would care about? Probably not. They're going to watch Brock Lesnar regardless if it's against Emilianinko, Carwin, Filpovich, or Gonzaga. Point is that the Dudebro's are going to watch no matter who Lesnar fights, why pay Fedor 600,000 to fight Lesnar when he can pay Carwin 50,000 and pocket the rest?

I'm all for Fedor going to the UFC for a few fights, but I just don't see it. Dana White and Fedor's handlers have never gotten along, and I'm willing to bet that they never will.

You can spew whatever you wish, we can all have an opinion. If I get under your skin its because I disagree with most of what you post in this forum, and the way you spew it, its some fact. I got a fact for you, Penn isnt anywhere near as good a fighter as GSP, he got beat not once but twice, and the 2nd fight was a complete destruction. So save the argument on Penn and GSP are equal but the weight. Gracie defied that for a decade, and GSP is doing it now.

Penn is a much smaller fighter than GSP. We will never know what would happen if they were the same size. Yes, GSP beats BJ Penn at 170. That is true. The first fight is debatable, and if you can't even say that, well, you need to remove GSP's balls from your mouth. The second fight was destruction, and I'm not sure why you think you deserve a medal for picking that. Congrats, you picked the bigger stronger fighter to win. Vegas thought it was going to work out that way as well. You didn't really prove anything to me, as I was going against the grain and taking the underdog.

And the part about Gracie defied this and GSP is doing it now makes no sense...

Gracie fought guys MUCH bigger than he. GSP beat a much smaller Penn, and other guys in his weight class. When has GSP ever moved up to fight anyone?

Oh, and if he is the greatest ever, how do you explain in his last 9 fights, he's had four decisions, one of which was a split, and a loss? Meanwhile, I'm looking at some guy named Miguel Torress who hasn't lost since 2004, has a record of 37-1 and only had two decisions since 04? The other best fighter in the world is some guy named Fedor who is 30-1, and the one loss is weak because he was cut and officials stopped the fight.

You've got to tap the breaks on GSP being the best fighter in the world. I've seen GSP get stopped, beaten bad by Hughes and sent to queer street courtesy of Serra. Fedor and Torress haven't had those happen. GSP is great, but not the best.

You can spew whatever you wish, we can all have an opinion. If I get under your skin its because I disagree with most of what you post in this forum, and the way you spew it, its some fact. I got a fact for you, Penn isnt anywhere near as good a fighter as GSP, he got beat not once but twice, and the 2nd fight was a complete destruction. So save the argument on Penn and GSP are equal but the weight. Gracie defied that for a decade, and GSP is doing it now.

Penn is a much smaller fighter than GSP. We will never know what would happen if they were the same size. Yes, GSP beats BJ Penn at 170. That is true. The first fight is debatable, and if you can't even say that, well, you need to remove GSP's balls from your mouth. The second fight was destruction, and I'm not sure why you think you deserve a medal for picking that. Congrats, you picked the bigger stronger fighter to win. Vegas thought it was going to work out that way as well. You didn't really prove anything to me, as I was going against the grain and taking the underdog.

And the part about Gracie defied this and GSP is doing it now makes no sense...

Gracie fought guys MUCH bigger than he. GSP beat a much smaller Penn, and other guys in his weight class. When has GSP ever moved up to fight anyone?

Oh, and if he is the greatest ever, how do you explain in his last 9 fights, he's had four decisions, one of which was a split, and a loss? Meanwhile, I'm looking at some guy named Miguel Torress who hasn't lost since 2004, has a record of 37-1 and only had two decisions since 04? The other best fighter in the world is some guy named Fedor who is 30-1, and the one loss is weak because he was cut and officials stopped the fight.

You've got to tap the breaks on GSP being the best fighter in the world. I've seen GSP get stopped, beaten bad by Hughes and sent to queer street courtesy of Serra. Fedor and Torress haven't had those happen. GSP is great, but not the best.