[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Ben in trouble

alchico

Probably nothing to this, but some of the guys at the gym this morning were talking about a radio report (supposedly from the Mike and Mike show on ESPN) that St. Louis has made an offer to Pittsburgh for Roethlisberger. Supposedly includes a pick this year and one next year. Again, nothing I can confirm or find a link to while here at work, but more than one of the guys mentioned it.

Ya I read this:

The Steelers have held internal discussions about trading Ben Roethlisberger and are open to dealing him, according to NFL.com's Jason LaCanfora.

The Rooney family is "livid" over Roethlisberger's off-field embarrassments, and they would listen "intently" if other teams called about the quarterback. As of yet, they have not held trade talks with other teams. The Steelers are reportedly "enamored" of Sam Bradford, but they don't believe the Rams -- or any other team -- would take on Big Ben given his considerable "baggage" of late. Don't expect the Steelers to give Roethlisberger away as they did Santonio Holmes. They know he's too valuable.

NFL.com

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, what happens if the Steelers suspend Ben for 2 to 4 games, and then before the suspension happens, they trade him to another team? Does the other team have any obligation to uphold the Steelers suspension? If not, would the league then step in and issue a suspension from the league, even though it agreed to let the team handle his discipline?

So, what happens if the Steelers suspend Ben for 2 to 4 games, and then before the suspension happens, they trade him to another team? Does the other team have any obligation to uphold the Steelers suspension? If not, would the league then step in and issue a suspension from the league, even though it agreed to let the team handle his discipline?

Good questions. Rooney stated in his announcement that there will be consequences for Ben's actions, but, is not allowed to hand out his punishment until the NFL is finished with their investigation.

After reading the police report that came out today, I'm angered even more than before. I really hope that the reports of the Steelers fielding trade offers are true. I don't want this guy as the QB of my favorite team. I don't care if it sets the team's success back a few years. I would love to see him traded. This guy is a complete d-bag in my book and nothing is going to change that for me. If he remains the QB for the Steelers, I'll have no choice but to hope he does well on the field, as it leads to their success, but, I would love to see him gone !!!!

Good questions. Rooney stated in his announcement that there will be consequences for Ben's actions, but, is not allowed to hand out his punishment until the NFL is finished with their investigation.

After reading the police report that came out today, I'm angered even more than before. I really hope that the reports of the Steelers fielding trade offers are true. I don't want this guy as the QB of my favorite team. I don't care if it sets the team's success back a few years. I would love to see him traded. This guy is a complete d-bag in my book and nothing is going to change that for me. If he remains the QB for the Steelers, I'll have no choice but to hope he does well on the field, as it leads to their success, but, I would love to see him gone !!!!

You would have a choice. You could boycott Steeler fanship until they rectify the problem.

The best way to get the D-bags out of sports is for the fans to vote with their money.

For instance, I have never been a fan of Tiger and never want to spend money on products he sponsors. I think he acts like a jerk on the course, I have seen him be a jerk to fans close up, and now I know he is a jerk to his family. I'll spend my money elsewhere, thanks.

You would have a choice. You could boycott Steeler fanship until they rectify the problem.

The best way to get the D-bags out of sports is for the fans to vote with their money.

For instance, I have never been a fan of Tiger and never want to spend money on products he sponsors. I think he acts like a jerk on the course, I have seen him be a jerk to fans close up, and now I know he is a jerk to his family. I'll spend my money elsewhere, thanks.

The problem with that is that Ben Roethlisberger is not the only Steeler. The Steelers have a lot of players that I'm proud to have on my favorite team. I will not allow my feelings of one player take away from my rooting for the rest of the team. Also, Steelers football is one of the things I enjoy more than anything, and I'm not going to give that up because of one creep that happens to play the most important position.

I do get your point though. Honestly, this situation just ticks me off....plain and simple.

From March 10th:

Report: Roethlisberger Denies He Had Sexual Intercourse With Accuser215

3/10/2010 10:10 PM ET By A.J. Perez

A.J. Perez

National Reporter

Ben Roethlisberger told police there was no sexual intercourse with the woman who is accusing the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback of assault, a Pittsburgh television station reported on its Web site Thursday night.

Citing unnamed sources, KDKA-TV reported Roethlisberger conceded to Milledgeville, Ga., police the night of the incident that he had contact with the 20-year-old college student, but said a sexual act was not consummated inside the dance club. Roethlisberger said the woman injured her head after she slipped in the bathroom.

Interesting that he told the police in a formal statement that there was no intercourse or sexual act, yet clearly there was (unless her vaginal bleeding and brusing was caused by some other source), given the evidence that has come to light, testimony that his bodyguard stood guard outside the bathroom in which it happened, and Ben essentially admitting it via his apologies

I would think he could be charged with obstructing justice, no?

Wild:

A friend of the woman who accused Ben Roethlisberger of sexual assault told authorities that Roethlisberger's bodyguard "dragged" the woman into a bathroom where the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback and woman had sexual relations.

In 500-plus pages of documents released Wednesday, Nicole Biancofiore told investigators from the Georgia Bureau of Investigations that her friend, a student at Georgia College & State University, "was dragged by a bodyguard to the back room in Capital [City, a local nightclub]. She was extremely intoxicated and not aware of what was happening."

"He had sex w/me and meanwhile his bodyguards told my friends they couldn't pass them to get to me," the accuser wrote in her statement, which was reported in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

ESPN

How this guy didn't get charged at all is beyond me.

Edited by burton

The swabbings from the rape-evidence kit were tested by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation crime lab in Atlanta, Georgia, and the initial testing found human male DNA present. Additional extensive testing was done, but because the sample was so minute it would not yield a profile.

:snicker:

I really hope some other team wants him. I hope he gets traded.

I am now in the same camp. I have always had trouble rooting for someone that I did not like. I have had reasons not to like other players in the Pittsburgh area that were personal and I will tell you that it takes away from me enjoying my favorite teams. This is not personal at all and there is still a part of me that says if they could have proved anything at all then he would be facing charges. That part of me wants to say, hey Skip, if the shoe was on your foot..., but then I think smoke = fire. Now all this negative press and the team talking etc. I say bring on the Rams. Creep or not, he is a player and the Rams can use him.

The problem with that is that Ben Roethlisberger is not the only Steeler. The Steelers have a lot of players that I'm proud to have on my favorite team. I will not allow my feelings of one player take away from my rooting for the rest of the team. Also, Steelers football is one of the things I enjoy more than anything, and I'm not going to give that up because of one creep that happens to play the most important position.

I do get your point though. Honestly, this situation just ticks me off....plain and simple.

I heard that Rivers was willing to give BB a class at being good and a "bad boy" on the field and being a good man off it!

:wacko::tup:

:lol::tup:

I heard that Rivers was willing to give BB a class at being good and a "bad boy" on the field and being a good man off it!

:wacko::tup:

:lol::tup:

Truth....I'd rather have a guy who acts like a d-bag on the field, like Rivers than a complete and total scumbag off the field, like Roethlisberger.

.........................more fodder :wacko:

QUOTE: “It is our responsibilities, not ourselves, that we should take seriously.” – Peter Ustinov

What is Ben worth?

On Thursday, Steelers owner Art Rooney Jr. held a press conference to announce that he’s seen enough of Ben Roethlisberger’s behavior off the field. Rooney was clear about his desire to suspend Big Ben but will wait for Commissioner Roger Goodell’s decision after the draft. He also voiced his strong disapproval of Ben’s behavior and did not entirely rule out the possibility of trading his star quarterback.

AP

Will the Steelers ultimately pull the trigger and deal Big Ben?

I’m sure Rooney wishes Roethlisberger would follow Peter Ustinov’s advice in our quote of the day. What made this press conference strange was that teams usually wait for the commissioner to make a decision so that they don’t alienate the player against the team. When a suspension comes from the league, the team helps the player handle the appeal, working in concert with him. However, that’s not the case for the Steelers, who let it be known they’re not happy and want to make sure their unhappiness is reflected in some form of a suspension. The Steelers know they’re at a crossroads with Roethlisberger, they know they must clean up their locker room (create a better team environment), and they know they have a responsibility to their fan base. Most of all, they know this cleansing starts with how they handle Roethlisberger.

Rooney did not rule out trading Roethlisberger, but how could he avoid it? How could he say in one breathe, “We’re mad at Ben for his behavior,” and still call him untouchable? That won’t work, and Rooney is smart enough not to engage in inconsistent behavior. He understands he has a responsibility to the franchise, and that includes a willingness to listen to any trade offers.

How many more dumb things in the offseason are the Steelers going to put up with from Roethlisberger before saying enough is enough? Fame and fortune have not been easy for him to handle, but instead of working harder and preparing intently for each game, he takes the “I got it without the work” attitude bordering on arrogance. As a result, he makes mistakes in games that cause his teammates and coaches to pull their hair out. His lack of responsibility on and off the field might be a result of his inability to handle success, or it might be Roethlisberger’s true personality.

So what is Big Ben worth in the open market? Clearly, this would be a short sale since any team wanting to take on Roethlisberger and his problems would not be willing to pay the “Cutler” rate (roughly two No. 1s) for a two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback. Would the Steelers take the recent Donovan McNabb/Redskins deal for Roethlisberger? I doubt it; the Steelers are angry, but they’re not stupid. Roethlisberger is hard to trade right now, but that doesn’t mean the Steelers shouldn’t listen to any offers. Would the Bills call and offer the ninth pick overall? Would the Raiders offer eight? It seems to me that if a team in need a quarterback wants to deal with Big Ben’s problems, it should put an offer on the table just enticing enough to gauge the Steelers’ level of interest. Based on Mr. Rooney’s body language, I wouldn’t rule out a trade. My sense is that some teams will be calling.

RotoWire) Roethlisberger will be suspended four to six games, ESPN's Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter report. Analysis: There will likely be some type of conditions for Roethlisberger to match if he wants to get the suspension lowered to four games, but we'll have all the details as soon as they become available. Whether it's four games, five games or six games, Roethlisberger's 2010 fantasy value is going to take a significant hit. As for who will start in the interim, we may see a three-way QB battle between Charlie Batch, Dennis Dixon and Byron Leftwich in training camp.

RotoWire) Roethlisberger will be suspended four to six games, ESPN's Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter report. Analysis: There will likely be some type of conditions for Roethlisberger to match if he wants to get the suspension lowered to four games, but we'll have all the details as soon as they become available. Whether it's four games, five games or six games, Roethlisberger's 2010 fantasy value is going to take a significant hit. As for who will start in the interim, we may see a three-way QB battle between Charlie Batch, Dennis Dixon and Byron Leftwich in training camp.

:wacko:here :tup:

Not sure if it was posted, but Schefter is reporting that the Steelers are actively shopping Roethlisberger to teams in the top 10 of the draft.

I'm very hopeful that this is true. :wacko: