[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Affliction MMA is about to be dead.

piratesownninjas

Affliction Entertainment and M-1 Global are looking for a new opponent to face Fedor Emelianenko at Affliction “Trilogy” on Aug. 1 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

Multiple sources have told Sherdog.com that the California State Athletic Commission will not license Josh Barnett after a positive test result. Calls to Affliction Entertainment were not immediately returned. The CSAC said a comprehensive statement would be issued Wednesday.

Barnett said he had not been notified of any issues with his eligibility as of Tuesday evening.

“I took my test three weeks ago. I would have thought I would have heard something by now,” Barnett told Sherdog.com.

However, the former UFC heavyweight champion said he had not checked his phone messages recently and later added, “No matter what happens with this, I can assure you I will clear my name. This will not be something that I am defined by.”

Vitor Belfort has agreed in principle to face the world’s No. 1 heavyweight on 11 days’ notice, according to two separate sources close to the negotiations. One source told Sherdog.com that Emelianenko will have the opportunity to choose between Belfort and Bobby Lashley. Lashley has denied knowing anything about replacing Barnett, though.

"I don't know if I would want it right now. Since the last fight, I haven't really been into training again," he said. "That fight is next week. That would be something I would really have to take a look at. To just jump in there probably wouldn't be the smartest thing for me right now. A lot of people would say that might be a money fight. They figure, 'If we give him enough money, will he do it?' That's what people tend to look at. I don't want to get into fighting for the money so much right now.”

Belfort, a former UFC light heavyweight champion, is scheduled to face American Top Team standout Jorge Santiago in a middleweight bout on the Aug. 1 card.

Greg Savage, T.J. De Santis and Jeff Sherwood contributed to this report, which was updated at 1:06 a.m. EST with additional information from Lashley.

This is an epic disaster. 11 days away and the main event is in question. Vitor, while great and has been on a tear has been fighting at 185. Having him move up to HW or even having a catchweight against a HW is a joke.

This could be a reason for Fedor to bolt to the UFC. He needs to find steady oppontents and not have the insanity that Affliction has gone through. His contract with Affliction is up after this, and I honestly think it may be time for Fedor to go to the UFC for a breif stay, and if he mows over Lesnar, he'll have cemented his place in MMA history as the greatest fighter ever.

After UFC 100 You have to put Brock Lesnar as either the #2 or #3 HW in the world, with Barnett being the other in the top 3. If Barnett really is out, then Fedor needs to face off against Lesnar.

This is an epic disaster. 11 days away and the main event is in question. Vitor, while great and has been on a tear has been fighting at 185. Having him move up to HW or even having a catchweight against a HW is a joke.

This could be a reason for Fedor to bolt to the UFC. He needs to find steady oppontents and not have the insanity that Affliction has gone through. His contract with Affliction is up after this, and I honestly think it may be time for Fedor to go to the UFC for a breif stay, and if he mows over Lesnar, he'll have cemented his place in MMA history as the greatest fighter ever.

After UFC 100 You have to put Brock Lesnar as either the #2 or #3 HW in the world, with Barnett being the other in the top 3. If Barnett really is out, then Fedor needs to face off against Lesnar.

wow, embarrassing for Assliction

Barnett is an idyet, and Fedor would have dummied him anyway....... Vitor? give him props for stepping in but he will get murdered. Saw a rumor on sherdog about Lashley stepping in, so who knows at this point.

I think Fedor/Lesnar happens here fairly soon - I think both sides will get a deal done for what would be the biggest MMA event in history.........

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

by Loretta Hunt (lhunt@sherdog.com)

Affliction Entertainment Vice President Tom Atencio confirmed Wednesday to Sherdog.com that Josh Barnett has been pulled from an Aug. 1 matchup against Fedor Emelianenko.

The fight was scheduled to headline Affliction and M-1 Global’s “Trilogy” event at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., but Atencio said that the California State Athletic Commission will not license Barnett because he has tested positive for a banned substance. The CSAC will release a statement Wednesday.

Atencio also said he hopes to secure a replacement Wednesday but would not comment on the new matchup until a deal is signed.

Sherdog.com reported Tuesday that Vitor Belfort has agreed in principle to face Fedor, according to two separate sources close to the negotiations. Bobby Lashley is also being considered, among others, but Tuesday night he denied knowing anything about replacing Barnett.

Joe Hall contributed to this report.

wow, embarrassing for Assliction

Barnett is an idyet, and Fedor would have dummied him anyway....... Vitor? give him props for stepping in but he will get murdered. Saw a rumor on sherdog about Lashley stepping in, so who knows at this point.

I think Fedor/Lesnar happens here fairly soon - I think both sides will get a deal done for what would be the biggest MMA event in history.........

Just wondering why you think Josh Barnett would get "dummied" by Fedor... He's only been finished by a then in prime Cro COp and Pedro Rizzo in early 2001. The guy is at worst, the third best heavyweight in the world. All MMA fans lose big with this. Barnett Vs Fedor could have been huge.

Vitor is great, but he has no business going back to HW. 185 is his ideal weight, but the Affliction guys will do anything.

Bobby Lashley already nixed the idea of Fedor...

Lashley has denied knowing anything about replacing Barnett, though.

"I don't know if I would want it right now. Since the last fight, I haven't really been into training again," he said. "That fight is next week. That would be something I would really have to take a look at. To just jump in there probably wouldn't be the smartest thing for me right now. A lot of people would say that might be a money fight. They figure, 'If we give him enough money, will he do it?' That's what people tend to look at. I don't want to get into fighting for the money so much right now.”

:wacko:

I apologize, I didn't have my crystal ball with me, and couldn't forsee Barnett failing a piss test, which led to Affliction ceasing to exist. If you don't have anything to add worthwhile, quit posting. Your constantly being a dbag has long grown tiresome. Yes, I know you're a sad little man that gets his rocks off on a message board. Your bit is tired. It's sad. We're trying to have a discussion about something. Could you please keep your beef with me in PM form, as no one else wants to read this garbage. You're too old to be acting like a child. I'm too old to be taking the bait. I won't do it anymore.

Back on topic...

Dana White just announced the return of Tito Ortiz, meanwhile Sherdog has announced that Affliction signed back on as a sponser with the UFC, in the contract, Affliction MMA would have to cease all MMA promotions immediatley. Pretty insane last few days in the world of MMA.

Edited by piratesownninjas

Seems like negotiations are going well so far :wacko:

The big hangup right now, with Fedor demanding that it be a co-promotion with M1 will never happen. In the past I've defended Fedor, but at this point, it's just asinine. White has backed off a ton of his demands and given into Fedor's wishes, excluding this Co Promotion non-sense. If something gets worked out though, I want it to be in the next few months. I don't want to see an out of his prime Fedor.

And Fedor has now signed a multi fight deal with strikeforce. I guess I was right when I said no way to Fedor in the UFC. Good move for strikeforce, who don't have the talent from top to bottom that the UFC has, but has better matchmakers in my opinion.

This does put Strikeforce in the cross hairs of the UFC though. What an crazy time in the MMA world.