[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Philly Fans

darin3

Let me lead this off by saying I've spent some time in Philly and absolutely love it, but what the heck is wrong with some of you? You throw batteries at opposing teams' players, booed Santa Claus coming onto the field, cheered when Michael Irvin got hurt... and now you're using laser pointers at Phillie games to try screwing with opposing team's batters?

Wow. :wacko:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and in case you have no clue what I'm talking about.... I'm sure there'll be a story on what happened online very soon. Julio Lugo (STL) was at bat and some jackass was apparently shining a green laser pointer at him while at bat. Boo.

Oh, and in case you have no clue what I'm talking about.... I'm sure there'll be a story on what happened online very soon. Julio Lugo (STL) was at bat and some jackass was apparently shining a green laser pointer at him while at bat. Boo.

that sums it up right there....the santa thing you can google to get the real story or I think search here because I think Swammi has explained it before (in detail)...

that sums it up right there....the santa thing you can google to get the real story or I think search here because I think Swammi has explained it before (in detail)...

I have explained the santa thing as well...there is a backstory to it and the front office thought they could use santa as a safe way out for not living up to the billing they promoted for the game...

I forget who was supposed to perform at halftime...but the fans were genuinely pissed..

and when Irvin was hurt....I personally don't think that any sober fan cheered....there are definitely a lot of drunks in this town...

and today...it was definitely some jackass....we have been a bitter town...even after winning a world series, even though I am pretty happy with that win last year....a lot of people still carry that bitterness...

classless move....1 tool out of 43,000 fans will likely make the whole metropolitan area the worst fans on the planet :wacko: yet again.

Irvin being hurt wasn't what was cheered....the debilitating hit was cheered, like it is in thousands of football games every year. This one got overblown because it happened to be a hit that ended Irvin's career. How many times is a QB sacked and knocked out a game and the crown goes wild? or a hockey game where someone is laid out by a vicious check and the crowd explodes?

That "Santa" thing a joke, and I'm shocked you even mentioned it.

Just let me say that I think the Phils are the team to beat for sure in the NL. The Cards may have something to say about it with the aquisition of Holliday, but the Phils pasted them 14-6 tonight. The way the Yanks and the Phils are playing right now would make for a great WS.

Signed,

A friendly fan from the western part of your state

I was in Philadelphia with two of friends for the Phils-Pirates game a couple weekends ago. I wore my Pirates gear both at the stadium, at the Holiday Inn and bar, and downtown. 97% of the Philly fans were awesome. There was some playful jeering back and fourth with those around my seat and also those that I ran into.

However, there was the 3%, who were just bitter and angry and wanted to fight. A younger me might have been swayed to get involved, but, the 34 year old version of me just laughs all of it off. These guys are just begging for you to say something back to them, so, that they can get it started. They are always surrounded by a group of friends, and always say something clever like "Go back to poopytsburgh. All of your teams suck." Of course, they are just hoping that I will say something like "All our teams suck ? The Steelers & Pens own you guys" so, that they can start their tough-guy routine. I also had a couple of people yell "No one wears another team's jersey in OUR city"

Now, is that 3% jackass rate higher than most cities.....perhaps slightly, but, it really is a shame, because most of the Philly fans I know, both in person and on this board, are passionate fans who know how to have fun with rivalries. Those guys hate the Philly fan reputation and are just as annoyed by the jackasses as the rest of us are, perhaps even more so. However, the jackasses love that reputation and like to build on it.

As for the Phillies, it must be damn fun to be a fan of this team and watch that lineup hit.

Edited by Menudo

Irvin being hurt wasn't what was cheered....the debilitating hit was cheered, like it is in thousands of football games every year. This one got overblown because it happened to be a hit that ended Irvin's career. How many times is a QB sacked and knocked out a game and the crown goes wild? or a hockey game where someone is laid out by a vicious check and the crowd explodes?

No doubt. But when someone's motionless the cheering does'nt usually get louder and louder.

All of this, to some degree, happens in almost every other major sports city. Slightly more in places like Philly, New York, and Oakland? Maybe. But nothing worth noting outside of the desire for some to wear it like a badge of honor or for others to attempt to put down another city's fans.

As others have said, "some jackass" sums it up.

classless move....1 tool out of 43,000 fans will likely make the whole metropolitan area the worst fans on the planet :wacko: yet again.

That "Santa" thing a joke, and I'm shocked you even mentioned it.

:D Part of this was just a little :D but you gotta admit that the public perception "is what it is" for a reason... schit like this happens in Philly more than anywhere else. :D

:D Part of this was just a little :D but you gotta admit that the public perception "is what it is" for a reason... schit like this happens in Philly more than anywhere else. :wacko:

no, ESPN talks about every little thing our fans do...while other cities like Cleveland and NY barely get a blurb...

no, ESPN talks about every little thing our fans do...while other cities like Cleveland and NY barely get a blurb...

Trust me, I hate how ESPN over-sensationalizes everything and of course the lame-assed east coast bias rubs me the wrong way, too. I certainly know that there have been issues in other cities.... it just seems like many of the memorable ones happen in Philly. I don't need ESPN's blabber to know that. :wacko:

Trust me, I hate how ESPN over-sensationalizes everything and of course the lame-assed east coast bias rubs me the wrong way, too. I certainly know that there have been issues in other cities.... it just seems like many of the memorable ones happen in Philly. I don't need ESPN's blabber to know that. :wacko:

of course...because when we boo a pick at the NFL draft...ESPN dwells on it for a decade.....(McNabb)

while Jets fans boo their pick every year and the panel just laughs...

and we're the only one's to cheer someone getting hurt.....err I mean we're the ones that get the incident mentioned the most...

of course...because when we boo a pick at the NFL draft...ESPN dwells on it for a decade.....(McNabb)

and we're the only one's to cheer someone getting hurt.....err I mean we're the ones that get the incident mentioned the most...

:wacko:

I already gave my take on the Philly fan thing, but, do you think they just started doing this to Philly randomly ? Do you think the media just drew their name out of a hat and said, there, that is the fanbase we will pick on. I'm quite sure the fan base has earned the media attention.

Like I said before 97% of Philly fans are awesome, but, the 3% that love the media attention and reputation ruin it for the rest of them.

I already gave my take on the Philly fan thing, but, do you think they just started doing this to Philly randomly ? Do you think the media just drew their name out of a hat and said, there, that is the fanbase we will pick on. I'm quite sure the fan base has earned the media attention.

Like I said before 97% of Philly fans are awesome, but, the 3% that love the media attention and reputation ruin it for the rest of them.

Pretty much all I was trying to convey, maybe with a bit of :wacko: on the side. :D

exactly...but the media has taken certain instances that happened over time and they make them out to be bigger than they are...and when our fans are out of line...they say "Philly fans are at it again"....

while at the same time, they ignore similar situations in other cities...