[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Philly Fans

darin3

We will agree to disagree. I do think there are more in Philly, and I'm speaking from my own experiences. Once again, why do you think yours are magnified ? Was it a random draw ? Do people and media simply not like Philadelphia ? Was the name drawn out of a hat ? The reason the media attention is there is because there were MORE incidents REPORTED ON from this one fan base than any other. Because of that, the media is all over it when something goes wrong. It was earned, it wasn't selected randomly.

fixed...and fwiw, I think the santa story is a large part of it...just seems so much more poignant to point out that a city did something wrong AND they are the ones that booed santa.

edit: and I was also waiting to see if and when it was brought up...and if anyone noticed they tossed the wrong guy out.

Edited by keggerz

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will agree to disagree. I do think there are more in Philly, and I'm speaking from my own experiences. Once again, why do you think yours are magnified ? Was it a random draw ? Do people and media simply not like Philadelphia ? Was the name drawn out of a hat ? The reason the media attention is there is because there were MORE incidents from this one fan base than any other. Because of that, the media is all over it when something goes wrong. It was earned, it wasn't selected randomly.

it's because we send them hate mail and they love it....just like how Merrill Hodge would rip the Eagles and loves the hate mail he gets from the fans...

the more attention you get from fans, the more they come back to see what you have to say and you keep a job...

We will agree to disagree. I do think there are more in Philly, and I'm speaking from my own experiences. Once again, why do you think yours are magnified ? Was it a random draw ? Do people and media simply not like Philadelphia ? Was the name drawn out of a hat ? The reason the media attention is there is because there were MORE incidents from this one fan base than any other. Because of that, the media is all over it when something goes wrong. It was earned, it wasn't selected randomly.

no question the Santa story is where it got it roots...the national media had a field with a town that booed Santa.

What dispicable group of people could ever boo warm fuzzy dear Santa? Every ensuing incident that is not different than any other city gets extra attention because of this one snowy day in December.

Here's why:

Santa snowball incident shrouded in myth

By Gary Mihoces, USA TODAY

PHILADELPHIA — No surprise Philadelphia fans were rough on the Eagles at 0-2. After all, they once threw snowballs at ....

Hold it. In a new book titled The Great Philadelphia Fan Book, co-authors Glen Macnow and Anthony L. Gargano contend Philly fans get a bum rap in frequent mentions about that 1968 day when they hurled snowballs at Santa Claus. Not that they didn't do it.

"No event has been used to tar-and-feather Philadelphia fans as much. And no event has been as exaggerated, misconstrued and inaccurately recalled," they write.

Macnow, a talk show host along with Gargano on WIP radio in Philadelphia, says it's all about the circumstances.

"Everybody just thinks that people pelted Santa with snow balls for no reason other than we're mean people," he says.

A crowd of 54,535 showed in a snowstorm that Dec. 15 day at Franklin Field to watch the last-place Eagles finished off a 2-12 season with a loss to Minnesota.

The book says that team owner Jerry Wolman had "dismantled a strong, proud franchise" and hired Joe Kuharich as coach and general manager. Kuharich, who inspired the "Joe Must Go" slogan, traded Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen to Washington for Norm Snead.

At halftime, there was supposed to be a Christmas pageant. Then there was too much snow and muck for a float to parade around the field. Instead, according to the book, a 19-year-old fan wearing a Santa suit and fake beard in the stands was recruited to jog onto the field between two columns of cheerleaders.

The authors don't deny boos were heard and that snowballs were tossed. Are they saying Santa had it coming?

"Santa had it coming for a different reason actually," says Macnow. "Santa was a surrogate that day for Joe Kuharich and Jerry Wolman and Norm Snead. The poor kid just happened to be representing the frustrations."

The authors tracked down the Santa, Frank Olivo, who now lives in Ocean City, N.J. In the book, Olivo says he has no hard feelings. "I'm a Philadelphia fan, I knew what was what. I thought it was funny," he is quoted as saying.

But Olivo recalls that when he was asked if he might want to play Santa again the next season, he balked. "No way. If it doesn't snow, they'll probably throw beer bottles."

fixed...and fwiw, I think the santa story is a large part of it...just seems so much more poignant to point out that a city did something wrong AND they are the ones that booed santa.

edit: and I was also waiting to see if and when it was brought up...and if anyone noticed they tossed the wrong guy out.

Let's not forget that the Vet in Philly was the first stadium to have a court and holding cell in the stadium itself.

Let's not forget that the Vet in Philly was the first stadium to have a court and holding cell in the stadium itself.

and? it's not as if arrests cant be made in every NFL stadium every week....but fwiw, if my memory serves me there was more to it in that the Judge was using that as a PR move for re-election or some such...I am sure that swammi probably knows or remembers more about it than I do.