[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Favre on his way to MN to sign?

CaP'N GRuNGe

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations go out to the Minnesota Vikings. You guys handled this situation as good as I've ever seen a situation handled.

Telling fans that it was time to move on after Brett said that he was going to stay retired was almost believable. Having reporters ask players about Brett Favre each and every day for most of this year was also well played. Bonus points are awarded for players speaking out against Favre after he didn't show up for training camp and explaining how it wouldn't be fair for him to just show up after it is over. Extra bonus points for Childress saying the same thing on the radio and to his team.

:D:D:wacko:

I don't give a rats if Brett Favre spent 35 years as a Packer. That is not the issue for me. He's Brett Favre, not a GB Packerhead.

OK - so who really thinks Favre will help the Vikings? I am a Packer fan and Viking hater so I admit I am totally biased. I really think Favre is done and this does not help the Vikings in any way.

You can't keep looking back at what Favre did - he is no way near the same player he was - Even last year I will continue to argue he never looked that good - he had some throws early in the year that were awful - he really wore down at the end and I believe that will either continue or happen again.

If he plays bad does Childress have the stones to bench him and take the heat for stopping the streak?

What does this do to the locker room?

Is Favre really better than Rosenfels AT THIS POINT IN TIME?

I just think the risk is not worth the reward in this case.

Congratulations go out to the Minnesota Vikings. You guys handled this situation as good as I've ever seen a situation handled.

Telling fans that it was time to move on after Brett said that he was going to stay retired was almost believable. Having reporters ask players about Brett Favre each and every day for most of this year was also well played. Bonus points are awarded for players speaking out against Favre after he didn't show up for training camp and explaining how it wouldn't be fair for him to just show up after it is over. Extra bonus points for Childress saying the same thing on the radio and to his team.

:D:D:wacko:

I don't give a rats if Brett Favre spent 35 years as a Packer. That is not the issue for me. He's Brett Favre, not a GB Packerhead.

I don't understand your last statement? Are you happy with him coming to the Vikings?

Mark my words. This is the beginning of the end of the Vikings in Minnesota.

First bad game he will get booed loudly. Childress will get booed even more then before. It will be only a matter of time before the Wilfs start to get booed for their part in all this as well. That's all the reason they will need to pack up the team and move to LA.

:wacko:

Good Lord, negative much??

Some quotes from Bedard's twitter:

"After all those years of not being able to hit him, do I want to hit him? Of course I want to hit him." -Nick Barnett

"The red jersey will be off." -Aaron Kampman

Even an injured Favre should be able to pass on the GB D/ST. They couldn't hold squat last year and have yet to prove they can work the 3-4 against a team that will be on the field a bit more...they all won't be Cleveland.

If Favre does have the partial-tear in his arm, there is no reason he should be coming back. I'll cheer for him, but I am losing respect for him. He should have been in training camp with the rest...unless...this was in place awhile ago and they've been wagging the dog.

Good Luck Brett. I hope you don't get hurt.

Edited by Ed Hoyle

I'm sorry, but I just don't see all the rampant negativity about this move. Yes, there are bad things about how all this was handled, but this is a different kind of situation that most. As a Viking fan, here are the positives I see:

1. They now have a viable, experienced quarterback option that can probably make some big plays from time to time. IMO, that's all they will need to get over the hump and be a real contender.

2. If he does suck, IMO, he can't suck any worse than Jackson would. And they can pull him out and go with Rosenfelds. (Problem is, WILL they pull him out, for the money and for the fan excitement?)

3. The biggest plus is that there is incredible interest and excitement from a team perspective now, both locally and nationally. Whether you love him or hate him, it's exciting and it's great we are going to be THE NFL story this year, at least for a while.

4. Favre has always gotten officiating breaks, and this has to help some in that area. And the dude seems to be able to make some unreal plays happen, and I can see him flipping some crazy pass poopy to Harvin, Petersen, Taylor, and making Shiancoe better and a bigger td threat.

5. He had the surgery, and has taken time to work on strengthening his arm. This apparently was his biggest problem in NY and probably towards the end of the GB years. If his arm feels better, and as he works back into game shape, he could be better than he was over the last couple of years.

6. He knows the offense a million times better than the other options they have, and this should help from a defense-reading perspective.

7. If he does suck and it's a disaster, Viking fans can always blame him and hate him more. And that's a plus, in some ways.

8. MAYBE, the Vikings can get SOMETHING for Jackson, if they want to trade him. And they SHOULD want to trade him. Hell, a 5th or 6th round pick would be worth it to some teams for a QB that has played in the league. Played poorly, granted, but, teams will reach at times.

9. I just can't believe the Vikings don't have a better chance at being better. Whether you love the guy or hate him, he is a winner, and he will bring something fresh to the table. If you honestly don't think this gives them a better chance to win a game or two, then so be it. I think it does. And this is a business... players will get over about anything if they win games... and most of these vets know that older, established SUPERSTARS get preferential treatment. It could be a problem, yes, but if he's QB'ing them, they are all over the media all the time, and they win their first few games - they will definitely get over it, IMO. The attention he brings is good for their own personal bottom lines.

There are drawbacks. I can see the vets being pissed, and this team was poised to be very good. But in no way do I think this signals the end for the team here. If anything, all the excitement will sell out all the home games, at least initially, and media attention on the town is great for Wilf and everyone else. If they do well as a team, which they will with him or without him, then it will be helpful to the team being here. And if they do really well, and Favre does do pretty well, it's even better for the team. Can you imagine the excitement if Favre is just an average QB and makes some of those crazy plays, and they go deep into the playoffs? Or farther? It certainly COULD happen, and the fans will go nuts, the town will go nuts, and the politicians will be falling all over themselves to get a stadium deal done, since the economy should be eventually turning around.

I think this is far more positive than negative, although I don't think the man himself makes the team A LOT better. I just think it gives them a better chance to win, possibly. And I don't think the negatives outweigh the positives, in any way. Especially from a team ownership and fan aspect. Which is the bottom line, isn't it?

I don't understand your last statement? Are you happy with him coming to the Vikings?

I'm not happy with him coming back now after he didn't show up for training camp. I don't want any player on the team that can't commit to show up for training camp. Now that TC is over, he's on a plane and has his hand up Childress's rear end. Did I want him to play for the Vikes before? I wasn't against it, just because he's worn a Packer's jersey in his lifetime is no reason to avoid upgrading a position.

But now, Childress has gone on record as saying we will go to battle with the players we have. Some of the players themselves have said that it wouldn't be fair to the team for Favre to show up after training camp is over. They have a very good point. The Vikings leadership has shown no class in leaving everything up in the air for so long with no resolution. I'm sure that all of the players haven't enjoyed handling the Brett Favre questions for the last 6 months, especially Tavaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels.

The circus has arrived

August 18th, 2009 – 12:24 PM by Chip Scoggins Folks, that was nuts. Hundreds of fans stormed Brad Childress’ SUV as he arrived at Winter Park with Brett Favre in the passenger’s seat. Cars driving by had to stop in the middle of the street to avoid hitting anyone.

Fans and media members then stormed onto the team’s property as team security and a police officer tried to stop it. The officer then threatened to arrest people for trespassing if they didn’t leave.

It was beyond wild. Even our own Sid Hartman said he’s never seen anything like it.

Two comments from my Packer fan co-worker:

Milwaukee reports "the EGO has landed".

and

"Vikings expected to get $4500 from the govt for the cash for clunkers program".

:wacko:

Regardless of the outcome, this is going to be an interesting year.

What I said was no secret, it was widely reported here in NY. He even talked about how he had to learn his arm could not do the things he used to command it to do. Watching the games, as he said himself, it was obvious his arm was wearing down. The Jets insisted he get it scoped... he refused. :wacko: Maybe you should do a little more research before you call someone out.

I was referring to your comment that the Vikings have tanked the whole season-time will tell.

I'm not happy with him coming back now after he didn't show up for training camp. I don't want any player on the team that can't commit to show up for training camp. Now that TC is over, he's on a plane and has his hand up Childress's rear end. Did I want him to play for the Vikes before? I wasn't against it, just because he's worn a Packer's jersey in his lifetime is no reason to avoid upgrading a position.

But now, Childress has gone on record as saying we will go to battle with the players we have. Some of the players themselves have said that it wouldn't be fair to the team for Favre to show up after training camp is over. They have a very good point. The Vikings leadership has shown no class in leaving everything up in the air for so long with no resolution. I'm sure that all of the players haven't enjoyed handling the Brett Favre questions for the last 6 months, especially Tavaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels.

Well said. Handled very poorly by all parties.