[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stanley Cup finals

Down Goes Frazia

For Az and DGF, so you sissies can stop arguing:

http://www.sjsharks.com/sharks2002/interac...-1053102142.htm

But the captains of both winning teams will show a degree of superstition, and certainly will send a message, when the conference championship silver is turned over. They'll likely shake hands with the presenter, whether it's Gary Bettman, Jim Gregory, Colin Campbell, Charles, Prince of Wales, or anyone else, and will either put it back on the table, or will skate quickly off the ice with little fanfare.

There won't even be a tiny little smile of recognition, or sign of any celebration, with teammates or fans. In fact, most team captains will try to avoid handling the trophy for any length of time.

Why? Well, the primary reason for this behavior is pure and simple: the only trophy that NHL teams and players are really concerned about is the Stanley Cup, which will be presented, of course, to the winner of the Final series between these two winning teams.

The captains don't want to send a message to their teams and to the world that the conference championship is enough of an accomplishment to relax going into the most important playoff series of all.

More info:

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/u/ce/multi/0...6364_60,00.html

Look but don't touch

There seems to be a superstition among players that they don't touch the Stanley Cup until they win it.

Hatcher had a chance in 1995 after his friend (and now teammate) Shawn Chambers won it with the New Jersey Devils. Chambers held a party and urged Hatcher to rub the Cup for good luck. Hatcher declined.

"I never touched it," Hatcher said. "I never picked it up. It really wasn't a superstitious thing. It was that I didn't win it. I realized that one day I'd have a chance to win it and I'd pick it up then."

Stars winger Dave Reid saw the Cup in person recently but resisted the urge to touch it.

"It's an unwritten rule (that you don't)," Dallas' Pat Verbeek said.

The hands-off treatment may have extended down to the conference trophies. Buffalo made a point not to parade around with the Prince of Wales Trophy (symbolizing the Eastern Conference champion) after disposing of Toronto. Not to be outdone, Hatcher merely posed for a picture with the Clarence S. Campbell Bowl after the Stars beat Colorado.

"Everyone's happy in the room but there's one more step," Hatcher said. "When we get there we'll see what happens."

Down Goes Frazia:

things are sure getting chippy smash ..... gonna be insane in Calgary over the weekend. TB looked strong tonight..... but they're head'in into a hornet's nest this weekend. Should be a great game 3 & 4.

Calgary's been weak at home. I think Tampa takes at least one.

Horrible refereeing last night. Jackasses need to keep their whistles in their pockets. thumbs_d

HUGH 0NE

Horrible refereeing last night. Jackasses need to keep their whistles in their pockets. thumbs_d 

Agreed. Didn't the Flames get like 5 PPs in the 1st period?! What is that for a Finals? Just encourages diving and all that crap... smash

RWings:

HUGH 0NE

Horrible refereeing last night. Jackasses need to keep their whistles in their pockets.    thumbs_d

Agreed. Didn't the Flames get like 5 PPs in the 1st period?! What is that for a Finals? Just encourages diving and all that crap... smash
not to mention 1 or 2 5-on-3's. eek!

HUGH 0NE:

2-2. Interesting. Good call on the 5 minute major, but I thought the 5 on 3 that Tampa scored on was kind of weak. shrug 

Rooting for Tampa, and thought the same thing - was wondering if it was one of those things where two guys call so-so penalties, not noticing the other guy was donig the same thing. Really, both were ok calls, but doubt you'd see one guy call both back to back.

This has been a good series, and as much talk about the offense and feistiness of Iginlia, Vinny, ... if the winning goalies doesn't win the Conn Smythe, it's a travesty - last night was 100% about the goalies.

xMRogers:

...  if the winning goalies doesn't win the Conn Smythe, it's a travesty - last night was 100% about the goalies.

you got that right. thumbs_u Khabibulin had the wall up last night. smash

TB should feel very fortunate to get a win like that last night..... ugly is beautiful. Injuries are starting to take a toll with both teams...... physical, hard nosed series.

Down Goes Frazia:

xMRogers:

...  if the winning goalies doesn't win the Conn Smythe, it's a travesty - last night was 100% about the goalies.

you got that right. thumbs_u Khabibulin had the wall up last night. smash

TB should feel very fortunate to get a win like that last night..... ugly is beautiful. Injuries are starting to take a toll with both teams...... physical, hard nosed series.

Not even close. If Calgary wins this series, it's Iginla unanimously. If Tampa wins, you could make a case for either St. Louis or Richards. Goalie doesn't win this one. Remember, the Conn Smythe voters historically hate non Canadians.

Well, it's the day of the big game!

By my count, this is only the 7th game 7 (in the finals) in 40 years.

I'm pumped.

I'm rooting for Calgary, but I'll be danm happy if TB wins and it's a great game.

ps

I took off of work (bartender) to go to my bar and watch the game!

pps

Football is the greatest sport, but the greatest thing in all of sports is OVERTIME PLAYOFF HOCKEY! This has been a great series!

HUGH 0NE:

What a game. Great series. Game 7 should be awesome. Go Lightning. thumbs_u 

And I agree with DGF, St. Louis has NO chance of winning the Conn Smythe. Richards or Khabibulin for Tampa, or Iginla of Calgary.

Agreed. Those are the names I threw out before the Finals with Kipper included. But, as good as Kipper's been, Iginla's the man if the Flames win. He's been the sparkplug that's made the difference. Remember his tussle with Lecavalier? And I still lean towards Richards because of all the huge goals he's had in all the rounds.