[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Joe Mauer Joins Good Company

Outshined

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Mauer is one of five American League players to have at least 25 home runs and at least a .380 batting average this late in the season. The others were Ted Williams (1941 and 1957), Joe DiMaggio (1939), Lou Gehrig (1930 and 1936) and Babe Ruth (1931).

Link

I hope the Twins keep him since he a hometown kid. I am sure some team will give him a $200 million contract.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link

I hope the Twins keep him since he a hometown kid. I am sure some team will give him a $200 million contract.

If we don't keep him, we may as well pack it in. Fans will vote with their feet and it's likely the new Target Field will get burned down.

If we don't keep him, we may as well pack it in. Fans will vote with their feet and it's likely the new Target Field will get burned down.

Modern construction standards will cause the stadium to be fire-retardant.

How can you qualify for MVP on the ninth ranked team in the American League and a sub .500 team?

I mean its not like opposing teams are setting up their "ace" starters against Minn like they do against the Yankees, Angels and Red Sux.

Edited by jackshi17

How can you qualify for MVP on the ninth ranked team in the American League and a sub .500 team?

I mean its not like opposing teams are setting up their "ace" starters against Minn like they do against the Yankees, Angels and Red Sux.

Fair point but occasionally a player outperforms the rest of the league enough that he overcomes that.

And this isn't the playoffs. Most pitchers pitch every fifth day regardless of competition. I wouldn't count that against Mauer.

Fair point but occasionally a player outperforms the rest of the league enough that he overcomes that.

It isn't a fair point at all, IMO. Without Mauer this year, the Twins would have been out of the race long since. That clearly makes him the Most Valuable Player. It's an individual award and the team should have nothing to do with it other than gauging the effect the player has had. There is no way that Jeter has had the same impact on the Yankees as Mauer has on the Twins.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

It isn't a fair point at all, IMO. Without Mauer this year, the Twins would have been out of the race long since. That clearly makes him the Most Valuable Player. It's an individual award and the team should have nothing to do with it other than gauging the effect the player has had. There is no way that Jeter has had the same impact on the Yankees as Mauer has on the Twins.

I think that's pretty accurate but generally speaking MVP's come from winning teams...right or wrong, with the exception of the occasional Andre Dawson thrown in.

I think that's pretty accurate but generally speaking MVP's come from winning teams...right or wrong, with the exception of the occasional Andre Dawson thrown in.

I completely agree with what you say but I still think the concept is total BS if team performance is the driver.

• 2 weeks later...

Three of the Twins starters are on the DL: Slowey, Perkins and Liriano, yet the Twins are still in contention. They have been spot filling those starting positions. Mauer hit 391 in the month of August, 8 homeruns and 23 RBI's, but it its not just the offense, I think he is just as valuable or more behind the plate defensively and calling the games.

• 3 weeks later...

I read a NY Times article about Jeter and how he should get the MVP over Mauer because Jeter's role as leader and all around great guy should make up for the massive statistical difference. GTFO!

The MVP has and always will be an INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. Just because a small market team can't go out and sign every name out there, doesn't mean a player should have to suffer. NY just needs to get over the fact that they don't have the best player in baseball on their team. If I was starting a team, I'd still take the M&M boys before anyone in NY and I think a lot of other people would too.

Oh and 2 games :wacko: Dome Sweet Dome.

It'd be good for baseball (imo) if Mauer won MVP and Greinke won Cy Young...

Grienke is on fire ... really closing out the year strong ... and is pitching so much better than anyone else in the AL, it'd be a shame if anyone else won the AL Cy Young.

AL Pitching Leaders

These seven categories (wins, ERA, shutouts, strikeouts, WHIP, slugging and OBA) are each (currently) led by one of three guys -- Greinke, Sabathia, Hernandez and Verlander. So, considerinly only the players in the top 10 in wins, here is how each of these three guys ranks in all seven categories:

Greinke:

t-6th Wins (15)

1st ERA (2.08)

1st Shutouts (3)

2nd Strikeouts (229)

1st WHIP (1.06)

2nd Slugging (.336)

1st OBA (.272)

Sabathia:

1st Wins (18)

4th ERA (3.31)

t-5th Shutouts (1)

7th Strikeouts (186)

2nd WHIP (1.13)

4th Slugging (.361)

2nd OBA (.287)

Verlander:

t-3rd Wins (16)

6th ERA (3.44)

t-5th Shutouts (1)

1st Strikeouts (245)

6th WHIP (1.18)

6th Slugging (.376)

6th OBA (.297)

Hernandez:

t-3rd Wins (16)

2nd ERA (2.45)

t-5th Shutouts (1)

4th Strikeouts (196)

3rd WHIP (1.14)

1st Slugging (.320)

3rd OBA (.288)

...the only thing Grienke hasn't been able to do this year is get consistent run support...and that is hardly his problem...

Edited by muck

AL Pitching Leaders

These seven categories (wins, ERA, shutouts, strikeouts, WHIP, slugging and OBA) are each (currently) led by one of three guys -- Greinke, Sabathia and Verlander. So, considerinly only the players in the top 10 in wins, here is how each of these three guys ranks in all seven categories:

Greinke:

t-6th Wins (15)

1st ERA (2.08)

1st Shutouts (3)

2nd Strikeouts (229)

1st WHIP (1.06)

2nd Slugging (.336)

1st OBA (.272)

Sabathia:

1st Wins (18)

4th ERA (3.31)

t-5th Shutouts (1)

7th Strikeouts (186)

2nd WHIP (1.13)

4th Slugging (.361)

2nd OBA (.287)

Verlander:

t-3rd Wins (16)

6th ERA (3.44)

t-5th Shutouts (1)

1st Strikeouts (245)

6th WHIP (1.18)

6th Slugging (.376)

6th OBA (.297)

...the only thing Grienke hasn't been able to do this year is get consistent run support...and that is hardly his problem...

Hard to argue with you. Dude has been on fire all year. As much as I like Verlander, Greinke should get it. Only real competition is Sabathia I believe. Verlander will probably be 3rd.

Hard to argue with you. Dude has been on fire all year. As much as I like Verlander, Greinke should get it. Only real competition is Sabathia I believe. Verlander will probably be 3rd.

...note that I missed that Fernandez is the leader in lowest slugging...I added him after you replied...

...also note that Greinke should have at least two more starts...and if he can hang a "one-handle" on that ERA of his (not sure if he can statistically or not), he should be a lock (regardless of whether or not he wins the final two starts or not...

...note that I missed that Fernandez is the leader in lowest slugging...I added him after you replied...

...also note that Greinke should have at least two more starts...and if he can hang a "one-handle" on that ERA of his (not sure if he can statistically or not), he should be a lock (regardless of whether or not he wins the final two starts or not...

If Grienke pitches 18 innings in his final two starts and allows two earned runs or less, he will end up with an ERA of less than 2.00 ...

Greinke should win it for sure. I mean to have six complete games with three of them being shut outs and still pitching at such a high level is insane. He just dismantled Boston and Detroit like they were the Nationals but really it boils down to the WHIP of 1.09 which is why I think he gets it over Verlander.