[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NASCAR

Piranha

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HUGH nascar fan right here........ & what happened last week @ Pocono was a joke. They had 57 outta 200 laps under caution & ended the frigg'in race like that too.

Of course my boy JJ was victorious so it wasn't all bad. head_ban

Team Fraz in our nascar league - sitt'in 1st. as we speak. brow

Johnson

Stewart

Labonte

Wallace

Waltrip

Ah good... another one :D

Nice fantasy team...

IMO what they need to do is NOT count the caution laps, at least in the last 25 laps or so of the race. it's getting ridiculous and the fans aren't happy.

You must have been pretty hot about JJ

getting screwed on that pit stop.. angry

I'm a MARTIN fan, but counting the days til he retires, switching to Chevy.

Roush is killing those ford engines anyways.

Nascar will fix the problem. Bill France was right on top of it and apologized. At least they are working hard to fix the problems. Overall, I don't think it is that bad. You notice how nervous they are getting whenever they see smoke, the yellow flag flys. I forgot who it was that cut A tire and waved the flag thinking it was oil. I suppose after Dover when Kahne spun and Pocono when Labonte coated the track, they are just being cautious.

Our fantasy league is different. Going on our 5th year. Started with 13 people and it has grown to 75. 25 dollar entry fee and you can only pick 1 driver for a max of two races throughout the year. 1 driver per week and you get his points for the week. Alot of fun. Good payouts.

Piranha:

You must have been pretty hot about JJ

getting screwed on that pit stop.. angry

I didn't realize what had happened 'till he came back around again & then DW, McReynolds & Joy explained what happened. Fortunately JJ had the best car there. His re-starts were frigg'in incredible... noone was even close.

And how about the 10 minute tranny change by zipadelli & the boys on Stewarts car. THAT was freak'in amazing... 10 minutes to replace a complete tranny & only miss 6 laps eek! ..... these guys are good. wink

I woulda done alot better in last weeks points if Rusty's brakes would not have failed when he took out Waltrip. In one fell swoop I lost 2 drivers in one accident. smash

One of the other guys in our league has both Kenseth & Harvick ... I was LMFAO when they were taking each other out during those caution laps. lol

Been following Nascar for about 10 years now, so I'm a relative newbie to the sport. I really like it and it's surplanted baseball as my second favorite sport to the NFL. I'd like to see em get a handle on all the yellow flag laps and hopefully they will. I've won back to back fantasy nascar championships but this year my team of Harvick,Busch,Waltrip and Mayfield is gonna do me in. Big 24 car fan here!

If you guys get a chance, check your local IMAX theater and see if Nascar 3D is playing. It absolutely amazing. 12000 watts of sound makes it feel like you are at the track. I recommend that everybody go see it. Even non-nascar fans would be amazed. Its not just a Sunday race. Its a week long job. I don't want to spoil it if anybody goes and watches it, but the beginning rocks. 2 thumbs_u thumbs_u up!!!

I have been watching NASCAR as long as I can remeber and the trouble with the ends of races this year has been ridiculous. I think that Jeremy Mayfield's interview right after showed the class that Matt Kenseth and Happy Harvick lacked( I'm glad they each lose $25,000).

I think that Mayfield might have had the car to pass JJ. I don't know with another restart though.

What do you all think about the idea of multiple lines on the track to help NASCAR officials see who is where at each caution. This was mentioned on Sunday.

I feel like if they put 7 more lines around the track (maybe in different colors to tell them apart), With a camera looking across the track(like they use at the end of pit road and the start finish line), this could help speed up the cautions.

There are going to be problems with cars blowing up with the one engine rule. SO they need to fix the length of the cautions and get the racing going as soon as possible.

What do you all think. I know that this is pretty progressive for NASCAR and they are slow to make most changes.

All this talk about NASCAR and no one's brought up the new Nextel Cup points system and pseudo-playoff "Chase for the Championship" yet?

For the points system, they need to put more emphasis on wins and Top 10 finishes. What I would have done is award 100 points for a win, 85 for 2nd, 75 for 3rd and then decrement by 5 points for each subsequent finisher from 4th thru 16th, then award a flat 5 points to all finishers from 17th on down (I mean, who really cares if someone finished 17th in a race as opposed to, say, 29th or 43rd?), 3 points for a DNF, and keep all the bonuses (for winning the pole, leading the most laps, etc.) as they are.

Instead of treating the season like that of a team sport and having a pseudo-playoff, I would have structured the season more along the lines of the PGA tour, by designating four races - say, the Daytona 500, Coca-Cola 600, Brickyard 400 and Ford 400 - as "majors" or "Grand Slam" races and giving them greater weight in terms of points awarded (e.g. winning a major could be worth, say, twice or even three times as many points as winning a non-major.) Some sponsor could even offer a huge bonus to any driver or team who wins all four Grand Slam races in a season (a la the Visa Triple Crown Challenge in horse racing).

Pack Mentality:

Instead of treating the season like that of a team sport and having a pseudo-playoff, I would have structured the season more along the lines of the PGA tour, by designating four races - say, the Daytona 500, Coca-Cola 600, Brickyard 400 and Ford 400 - as "majors" or "Grand Slam" races and giving them greater weight in terms of points awarded (e.g. winning a major could be worth, say, twice or even three times as many points as winning a non-major.) Some sponsor could even offer a huge bonus to any driver or team who wins all four Grand Slam races in a season (a la the Visa Triple Crown Challenge in horse racing).

So you would want to add more weight to four races yet you leave off Talledega? And why would all four be Speedway's or Superspeedway's? Why not put Bristol or Martinsville in the big Four. The reason they don't weight any of the races is because there are so many different styles of race tracks. This puts a premium on racing well at different types of tracks.

This is a skill that drivers and crews have picked up by coming up through racing. I love Daytona and Indy as much as any fan. But I wouldn't want to turn my back on any short track where the racing is more fun and usually less dangerous.

I think that we need to see how this point system works out and then decide if us fans should start complaining.

The only thing I have to complain about is Lil' E lossing the points lead.

Though I was happy that a Dodge won.

This may be a stupid question,

but I'll ask anyway, the last 10 races,

are just 10 cars racing (and within the 400 points) or will they have 43 on the track,

only counting progress of the top 10?

lynch:

The reason they don't weight any of the races is because there are so many different styles of race tracks.  This puts a premium on racing well at different types of tracks.

Exactly..... for that matter I believe that Bristol would be considered one of the top 4 tracks..... defintely a favorite among drivers for sure. And as far as the superspeedways go.... most if not all the drivers don't like them due to having to use restricter plates. The beauty of winning a nascar championship is having to excel at many different types of tracks with different car set-ups for almost every track.

Piranha:

This may be a stupid question,

but I'll ask anyway, the last 10 races,

are just 10 cars racing (and within the 400 points) or will they have 43 on the track,

only counting progress of the top 10?

all cars race..... only the top 10 or within 400 points @ the end of 26 races can win the championship though.

The cash payouts (per race) remain the same for anyone who wins a race.

lynch:

So you would want to add more weight to four races yet you leave off Talledega?  And why would all four be Speedway's or Superspeedway's? Why not put Bristol or Martinsville in the big Four.  The reason they don't weight any of the races is because there are so many different styles of race tracks.  This puts a premium on racing well at different types of tracks.

This is a skill that drivers and crews have picked up by coming up through racing.  I love Daytona and Indy as much as any fan.  But I wouldn't want to turn my back on any short track where the racing is more fun and usually less dangerous.

Among the four races I selected, one's a restrictor-plate track (Daytona), one's a "flat" track (Indy) and the others are conventional super-speedways. I picked those four particular races, not because I have anything against short tracks or road courses, but for two reasons: the pre-existing prestige held by those races, and their places in the overall Nextel Cup schedule.

The Daytona 500 has long been the de facto "major" race on the Cup circuit, in terms of prestige if not points. By my estimation the Brickyard 400 and Coca-Cola 600 rank second and third in prestige, yet still well ahead of all the other races. My "Grand Slam" system would just make that arrangement official.

As for my other Grand Slam race, the Ford 400 at Homestead to wrap up the season, that's where the scheduling comes in. The four races I've proposed as "majors" are pretty evenly spaced at about three months apart (Daytona in February, Charlotte in May, Indy in August and Homestead in November). Also, ending the season with a Grand Slam race would make it much harder for any driver to clinch the points title before the final race. It would also eliminate what's known in the PGA tour as the "silly season" (the last few months of the season, following the PGA Championship event, when there's little to no buzz surrounding the tour among fans and the media).

If you wanted to throw in a short track or road-course race instead of either Charlotte or Homestead, I suppose it could be done, but the entire Cup schedule would probably have to be juggled in order to accommodate it (especially if Homestead was the race removed from the Grand Slam to make room).

Pack Mentality:

All this talk about NASCAR and no one's brought up the new Nextel Cup points system and pseudo-playoff "Chase for the Championship" yet?

For the points system, they need to put more emphasis on wins and Top 10 finishes. What I would have done is award 100 points for a win, 85 for 2nd, 75 for 3rd and then decrement by 5 points for each subsequent finisher from 4th thru 16th, then award a flat 5 points to all finishers from 17th on down (I mean, who really cares if someone finished 17th in a race as opposed to, say, 29th or 43rd?), 3 points for a DNF, and keep all the bonuses (for winning the pole, leading the most laps, etc.) as they are.

I agree completely Pack. I think they definitely need to award more points for 1st place etc. It also would eliminate all of those drivers that are 5 or more laps down, just getting in the way when there is a caution and they are up at the front reaking havoc. I am a big Mark Martin fan and after watching Michigan yesterday, I was happy to see he just faded back after a couple of laps after they flew the green. Casey Mears was up there causing problems for everyone especially DJ.

Although I don't know how I feel about the Grand Slams idea. Awarding double or three times as many points for those races. Although, I do think that do need to do something regarding at least Daytona and the Brickyard to make them a little more important to the season. Since they are probably Nascar's two biggest events.

[/qb]I agree completely Pack. I think they definitely need to award more points for 1st place etc. It also would eliminate all of those drivers that are 5 or more laps down, just getting in the way when there is a caution and they are up at the front reaking havoc. I am a big Mark Martin fan and after watching Michigan yesterday, I was happy to see he just faded back after a couple of laps after they flew the green. Casey Mears was up there causing problems for everyone especially DJ.

Although I don't know how I feel about the Grand Slams idea. Awarding double or three times as many points for those races. Although, I do think that do need to do something regarding at least Daytona and the Brickyard to make them a little more important to the season. Since they are probably Nascar's two biggest events. [/QB]

Ah another Mark Martin fan. Nice to hear from you blaw. Unfortunately his chances this year of making it to the top ten are slim and none. ton_of_b

My only problem with having 4 Majors is that the only reason that evryone gets so excited about the Coca-Cola 600 is that almost every team has there home garage in North Carolina. This means that the drivers and teams get to spend two full weeks at home. Because they have the Nextel All-Star Challenge. And that it is on Memorial Day Weekend.

The drivers look forward to Daytona and Indy because of the histroy. Lowe's is only because it is close to home. If they did this I would love to see the 4 majors be on 4 of the oldest and most historic tracks to the Drivers.

And I don't even want to get started on Restrictor plates. That is one topic that just gets my blood boiling.

blaw23:

I am a big Mark Martin fan and after watching Michigan yesterday, I was happy to see he just faded back after a couple of laps after they flew the green.  Casey Mears was up there causing problems for everyone especially DJ.

Well, at least you have Sears Point to look forward to next week (and so do I, since I have him on my NASCAR fantasy team). Martin has historically done well on the road courses.

Big race this Saturday @ Daytona.... 1/2 way thru the season & the new format will take effect. As it stands now the top 10 drivers are also the only drivers within the 400 required limit to make a run for the title. That may changes slightly but probably not much.

I like Mikey Waltrip this weekend. Even though he's outta the running for the championship..... he's been a point machine the last few races and is heading to a place where he's parked in victory lane before.