[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Ultimate Fighter

Gopher

Anybody catch the season premiere last night? I actually forgot about it, and forgot to tape the UFC event beforehand... I'll have to catch the next airing of it this weekend (Saturday afternoon, it's on Spike again). I did, however, see the first episode of the new TUF... the heavyweight fight at the end of the show was incredibly bloody. In fact, Dana White said it's the bloodiest fight he's ever seen in the Octagon.

Tall dude with very little wrestling skills gets taken to the ground early by a much better wrestler, then gets hammered repeatedly with some good GnP... at some point, his forehead is cut wide open by an elbow/forearm/fist... not really sure which. Now, I've seen some REALLY bloody cuts in various UFC fights, but this one was pretty bad... Blood was coming from his forehead... not in a fast "drip", but a steady stream (similar to that of a drinking fountain, but not quite as thick of a stream). The whole time, my wife is asking me why they aren't stopping the fight... she's normally not bothered by blood at all (she loves watching UFC with me). All I can remember doing is shaking my head... I've seen fights stopped completely for far less, and I've also seen a number of fights "paused", just so the doc can take a look at the cut to determine if it's safe to let the fighter continue. I really think that's what should have happened in this particular fight. It was one of those things where it's almost painful to watch, but you can't help but keep watching.

Anyway, first round ends, and pretty much everyone is saying that there is no way this guy is going to go back out for round 2. But, he does... and proceeds to get taken to the ground within just a few seconds... AGAIN. Backed up against the cage, just like round 1, for more pounding to his already bloody forehead. They had cleaned him up between rounds, but he was a bloody mess no more than 30 seconds into round 2... both fighters were covered in blood. It reminded me of a particular scene from Hostel II. :D

Boring fight overall... the loser was on his back for nine out of 10 minutes, for an easy decision. What really made me go :wacko: was when they showed the guy with the cut after the fight... A doctor was looking at his forehead, and of course, the camera zoomed in so we could all get a close-up shot of the cut. I don't even think you can describe what it looked like as a cut... laceration, tear, I'm not sure... It looked like a small canyon in his forehead. There was literally a 3/4 inch gap (probably 1.5-2.0 inches in length) between the two pieces of his forehead, directly above his right eye. :D:D You could hear the fighter asking the doc if he could see his skull... I wasn't really able to hear the response, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't "Yes."

Looks like it should be an interesting season... Rampage and Evans don't seem to like each other much, although I think a little bit of that is hyped up by the show. I think Evans clearly has a coaching advantage, though... Rampage made what everyone (other than him) thought was a terrible decision in picking the first fight, and the results proved that to be the case. Kimbo looked OK (they only showed him sparring and practicing)... at least I can say that there are fighters on the show that appear to be in far worse condition than he is. Rampage picked Kimbo first, which was another questionable move (Evans had the overall first pick).

My thoughts from last night:

Yeah, the Ultimate Fighter fight was awful. You described it pretty well. I would describe the cut as a crevasse though. I hear that he needed 8,000 stitches to close it.

Just how many times is Melvin Guillard is going to stick his head into a guillotine? The guy beats people up until he decides to attempt some lame ass takedown. Guillard is just about done, methinks. The guy should try boxing and stay away from the coke.

And if you want to see some blood, check this out. About 7:45 into the clip. You better keep your mouth closed Gideon.

My thoughts from last night:

Yeah, the Ultimate Fighter fight was awful. You described it pretty well. I would describe the cut as a crevasse though. I hear that he needed 8,000 stitches to close it.

Just how many times is Melvin Guillard is going to stick his head into a guillotine? The guy beats people up until he decides to attempt some lame ass takedown. Guillard is just about done, methinks. The guy should try boxing and stay away from the coke.

And if you want to see some blood, check this out. About 7:45 into the clip. You better keep your mouth closed Gideon.

Yeah, that's a lot of blood as well... The amount of blood, although there was a lot, wasn't the disturbing part last night. It was seeing the cut afterwards. Nasty.

dvr'd TUF - catch it over the wknd

but I thought the Fight Night card was great - each fight was entertaining as hell. Echoing Furd Melvin is a moran, he has some of the boxing in the UFC, and he is a freak athlete, all he had to do was stay on his feet, keep peppering Nate with shots and he wins the fight - and he goes and sticks his neck right into Diaz kitchen, terrible

Maynard/Huerta was an energetic, fun to watch fight, Gray did enough to win but Roger looked great in defeat

Quarry/Credeur was a back and forth battle - not the most talented dudes ever, but an entertaining fight.

all in all a great card for free

I turned it on just in time to see the Huerta/Maynard decision. :wacko: It was one of those things where, as much as I wanted to shut it off (I'm taping the replay Saturday), I couldn't help but want to see if Huerta won. Don't know what it is, but he's one of my favorite fighters... has been since the first time I watched UFC. I guess it's just the fact that his fights are usually exciting, he won't back down from anybody, and yet he seems like a very nice/humble guy for the most part.

Yeah, once Nate put the "lock" on Melvin, it was only a matter of about 2-3 seconds before he tapped... he knew there was no way he was getting out of that. :D

Looking forward to watching the rest of the card this weekend... sounds like it was pretty entertaining. Hopefully, the UFC event on Saturday night is just as good.

Anybody catch the season premiere last night? I actually forgot about it, and forgot to tape the UFC event beforehand... I'll have to catch the next You could hear the fighter asking the doc if he could see his skull... I wasn't really able to hear the response, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't "Yes."

Doc: Gotta make sure there is not a fracture there.

Big Abe: Cause you can see the bone?

Doc: Affirmative

:wacko:

I saw the first episode of TUF. While that was certainly one of the bloodiest fights I've seen, the one with Ed Dewee (sp?) where he is on top of the guy pounding him with one hand, and the other one he is using trying to staunch the FLOW of blood out of a cut in his head I think was worse. That cut that Abe had though, holy crap!

I'll watch Ultimate Fight Night this weekend as well as UFC103!

:wacko:

Tonight's fight has been sort of a dud so far...I'm guessing it's a draw and we are about to see a third round. Big dude is sucking air in a major way.

Edit: Well it didn't go the extra round, which was just as well. Evans team is now 2-0 versus Rampage.

Edited by Puddy

Tonight's fight has been sort of a dud so far...I'm guessing it's a draw and we are about to see a third round. Big dude is sucking air in a major way.

Edit: Well it didn't go the extra round, which was just as well. Evans team is now 2-0 versus Rampage.

How can these guys be in such bad shape, i mean, this is what they do for a living.

horsechit fight - but Wes Shivers got completely screwed - he clearly won rd 1 - so the fight was a draw at worst, and yet 2 judges had it 20-18.....

them dudes were assed

horsechit fight - but Wes Shivers got completely screwed - he clearly won rd 1 - so the fight was a draw at worst, and yet 2 judges had it 20-18.....

I agree. I don't know how you could possibly give the first round to the british dude. 2nd round was pretty much a 10/10 round in my eyes (or an 8/8 round if such a thing existed), but when they said they had a decision I was certain that meant they were giving it to shivers. he got jobbed bigtime.

I agree. I don't know how you could possibly give the first round to the british dude. 2nd round was pretty much a 10/10 round in my eyes (or an 8/8 round if such a thing existed), but when they said they had a decision I was certain that meant they were giving it to shivers. he got jobbed bigtime.

totally - when they said they had a decision - the only decision could have been Wes - the other guy was hoping for a rd 3 at best - unreal

Wes had some good chances to finish him, but he still laid solid shots, ring control, had takedowns and a couple sub attempts - the Brit was running, turning his back - rd2 was embarrassing for both, hands on hips , doing nada - but the Brit almost chocked out big Wes - and I can certainly see him winning rd 2 which does nothing to explain 2 20-18 decisions - wtph are these guys watching

on another note - gawd I love Rampage, dude is so funny

Edited by wildcat2334

totally - when they said they had a decision - the only decision could have been Wes - the other guy was hoping for a rd 3 at best - unreal

Wes had some good chances to finish him, but he still laid solid shots, ring control, had takedowns and a couple sub attempts - the Brit was running, turning his back - rd2 was embarrassing for both, hands on hips , doing nada - but the Brit almost chocked out big Wes - and I can certainly see him winning rd 2 which does nothing to explain 2 20-18 decisions - wtph are these guys watching

on another note - gawd I love Rampage, dude is so funny

Agreed on all counts. Shivers got screwed and I love me some Rampage! Rashad takes himself a little too seriously.

I thought Shivers won the first, and lost 10-8 in the second. Either way, that guy had no business being on the show. He didn't want it. He wouldn't listen to his coaches, and he gassed as fast as I've seen at any level of MMA or grappling tourney's/classes.

I don't think either fighter has a chance against Big Country or some of the other guys, but that spinning jump kick was pretty ballsy.

I thought Shivers won the first, and lost 10-8 in the second. Either way, that guy had no business being on the show. He didn't want it. He wouldn't listen to his coaches, and he gassed as fast as I've seen at any level of MMA or grappling tourney's/classes.

I don't think either fighter has a chance against Big Country or some of the other guys, but that spinning jump kick was pretty ballsy.

No kidding. If Dana White called me and said I would be on Ultimate Fighter Season 11 in two months, cardio would be my biggest focus, assuming of course I already had the skills to compete in the first place. :wacko: I mean, really, how many times have we seen a better fighter lose because he didn't have the stamina to stick it out and got pushed around like a rag doll towards the end of the fight? I don't care how much heart you have, when your body can't get the O2 to your muscles, you are done.