[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

All Star Game-Muhammed Ali

Chief Dick

He was a contentious objecter. That is very different than draft dodging. He decided that he should take a stand.

I am not saying if I agree or disagree with that stand. I do respect the courage of his convictions.

My father joined the reserves to avoid Vietnam and I don't consider him a draft dodger.

I usually would agree with the "draft dodger" assesment, but not in Ali's case. He was the heavy-weight champion of the world at the time, and how many "star athletes" not even close to his stature in today's sports would object to being drafted, "just because"? :D He honestly took a stand for his religious beliefs (although I don't agree with them) and he said it best I believe when he said something to the effect of "I ain't got no quarrel with them Vietcong." He is a peaceful man, and one of the greatest athletes of all-time. Definitely one of my heroes. thumbs_u

Grits and Shins:

We will have to disagree ... I don't believe he "honestly took a stand for his religious beliefs" as much as he used it for an excuse to get out of going to Vietnam.

Yep. Ali - one of the greatest cowards of all time. :D

Hitman:

I usually would agree with the "draft dodger" assesment, but not in Ali's case.  He was the heavy-weight champion of the world at the time, and how many "star athletes" not even close to his stature in today's sports would object to being drafted, "just because"? :D   

Well, geez, ask Ted Williams, Christy Mathewson, Grover Cleveland Alexander and many other major sports stars who volunteered to serve their country.

There has been no volunteering from the Hollywood or major sports ranks since Korea. Tillman excluded, of course, but he wasn't at the top of his respective sport like the others mentioned.

Ali was willing to give up his title and his freedom for his beliefs, so for that, I respect him. He was tremendous in the ring, and he really was entertaining in and out of the sport. No one should have to live as he does now.

Ruffian:

Ali was willing to give up his title and his freedom for his beliefs, so for that, I respect him. He was tremendous in the ring, and he really was entertaining in and out of the sport. No one should have to live as he does now.

lol ... now that's funny ... he didn't willingly give anything up ... he fought tooth and nail NOT to give anything up. It's not like he had a choice either ... he decided to dodge the draft and one of the consequences was that he lost his title and had to go to jail.

What a joke.

This is a topic that we could argue about for years. I know what I would have done in his situation, and I know what I think about his situation. I don't agree with what he did, but I wouldn't be here if my Dad didn't volunteer for the reserves three days before his draft number came up. Our last president suddenly enrolled in school in England to avoid going to Vietnam. That is a war that unless you lived during that time you can never understand the way people thought.

I think that Ali was the second best heavyweight of all-time. I have to give a nod to the only undefeated champion ever.

lynch:

This is a topic that we could argue about for years.  I know what I would have done in his situation, and I know what I think about his situation.  I don't agree with what he did, but I wouldn't be here if my Dad didn't volunteer for the reserves three days before his draft number came up.  Our last president suddenly enrolled in school in England to avoid going to Vietnam.  That is a war that unless you lived during that time you can never understand the way people thought.

I think that Ali was the second best heavyweight of all-time.  I have to give a nod to the only undefeated champion ever.

I'm thinkin' that was Marciano?