[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings-Packers Week

griff321

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real problem I think TT was right in gpoing with Rodgers after Favre retired but the offensive line has not improved under him.

This NFC North border war went well beyond Favre proving he can still play at a high level on the verge of his 40th birthday. His three touchdown passes and 135.3 quarterback rating bears that out.

But the Packers’ loss was not a referendum on Thompson’s decision to get rid of Favre last year, so let’s forget about the Aaron Rodgers vs. Favre quarterback debate.

Instead, this defeat raised serious questions about why the Vikings are superior to the Packers in other key areas, particularly in the trenches. And for that, Thompson must be held up to scrutiny.

He’s been on the job for nearly five years and for whatever reason the Packers still don’t have a dependable offensive line or a fearsome pass rush.

The Vikings, meanwhile, possess both, and that was the biggest reason for their victory and first-place standing in the division.

Forget about Favre for a moment and his motivation against the Packers. It was the Vikings’ defensive line that was sticking it to the Packers to the tune of eight sacks, including a ridiculous 4.5 by Jared Allen alone. That was the biggest difference in this game.

Rodgers was running for his life. It’s a wonder he not only survived, but in the process passed for 384 yards and posted a 110.6 quarterback rating.

“It’s a slap in the face,” said Daryn Colledge, who shifted over from left guard to left tackle in place of the injured Chad Clifton. “For an offensive line that prides itself on its ability to do one-on-one pass protection, it’s a struggle. That’s hard. That’s gut-wrenching. You know how important that guy is back there. I take it personal every time he gets hit, whether it’s my guy or someone else’s guy. We know how special he is and we’ve got to keep him off the ground.”

The Packers’ offensive line has been plagued by injuries and flawed fundamentals all season long. They have allowed 20 sacks in four games, and if this keeps up, at worst Rodgers will suffer a serious injury and at best the Packers will continue to stumble.

“You can’t play this way,” lamented Packers coach Mike McCarthy.

No you can’t, and the Packers can’t afford to give a dangerous guy like Favre all day to find an open receiver. In contrast to Rodgers, Favre wasn’t sacked once. His uniform was clean, and he was barely touched by the Packers’ defense.

Instead of being angry with Thompson, maybe Favre should have been thanking him after the game.

Rather than running for his life, or being concerned for his health, Favre could step back, take his sweet time and carve up the opposing defense.

Rodgers would love to have that kind of luxury.

Favre made the right decision in coming to Minnesota and Green Bay made the right decision in going forward with Rodgers. Long after Favre is gone the Packers will have themselves an elite gutsy QB. Packer fans should feel blessed to have had 2 in short order while teams like the Vikings have not been lucky enough to land a franchise QB that is the long term face of the team for years.

Very well said...

The Vikes really did play a good game yesterday. Good job, Vikes! I still hate you but you're fans have something to cheer about now!

And for the record, I'm still glad we got rid of Favre.

Nice to see you classy in defeat...:wacko:

and you are right, Pack did the right thing in moving on from Favre...Rodgers aint the problem...

The Vikings were the better team by a lot.

We need to fix our offense line problems and this may help

Jason Wilde, of ESPNMilwaukee.com, reports the Green Bay Packers worked out unrestricted free-agent OT Mark Tauscher (Packers) Tuesday, Oct. 6, according to a league source.

The Vikings were the better team by a lot.

We need to fix our offense line problems and this may help

Jason Wilde, of ESPNMilwaukee.com, reports the Green Bay Packers worked out unrestricted free-agent OT Mark Tauscher (Packers) Tuesday, Oct. 6, according to a league source.

RotoWire) Tauscher (knee) worked out with the Packers on Tuesday, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports.

Analysis: Greg Bedard of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel also reported that Tauscher is likely to sign with the team as soon as financial details are worked out. If Tauscher is fully recovered from his torn ACL of last season, his return would be a welcome addition to the Packers' beleaguered offensive line.

Can't be any worse.

:wacko:

You were outplayed, simple as that...

just accept that you aren't as good as the Vikes right now...

I wasn't crying, clown. It's called an observation. And I really don't remember you being this big of a Dbag. And I wasn't outplayed. You didn't outplay anyone. You are not a member of the Vikings organization, nor am I a member of the packers.

Edited by piratesownninjas

sorry, didnt read ALL 19 PAGES of this thread

but I just read that the game was the MOST WATCHED program on cable television EVER.

sorry again , but, the Twins/Tigers game last night was better.....

Really? Didn't even know there was one on. Did anyone else besides you watch it? :wacko:

Any chance that Favre now announces another retirement?

What a great way for him to go out on top.

1. He plays great and show his buddy Thompson he still has it - which is the #1 reason he came back in the first place.

2. He screws the Vikings leaving them mid season which puts him back in good graces with Packer fans.

Would be an awesome move by Favre. :wacko:

1. He plays great and show his buddy Thompson he still has it - which is the #1 reason he came back in the first place.

2. He screws the Vikings leaving them mid season which puts him back in good graces with Packer fans.

He clearly has "IT" now, but we'll see whether he has "IT" at the end of the season when it counts. Like I said in an earlier post- we've seen this before with Favre - he's great the 1st half of the season but then fades down the stretch when you need him most. I won't be sold until I see him win in the playoffs.

Edited by tosberg34

Dream on pal

He'll screw the Vikings when he fades towards the end of the season when they need him most. That's been SOP for Favre for about 5-6 years now.

I think all of your heads would collectively explode if Favre won the Vikings a Super Bowl. :D

Unfortunately, even if Favre had it in him, Childress will ensure that it never happens. I mean, he couldn't get the challenge flag out of his pocket? Seriously? What if that call was in an important playoff game? :wacko:

Never happen - Since Favre does not like YOU anymore

Edited by Moss6

He'll screw the Vikings when he fades towards the end of the season when they need him most. That's been SOP for Favre for about 5-6 years now.

Maybe so, but it won't be because of his arm strength, which I think was his problem last season, and looks like it's fixed after the surgery. Some of those passes on Monday were as hard as any I've seen him throw, and don't remember many like that last season.

Hopefully his body will hold up.

The NFL got it right (or was it luck) when they scheduled the first Vikes/Pack game in Minnesota. Now we can have another 19 page topic about Favre returning to Lambeau field when the play there in a few weeks. Otherwise there would only be one 19 page topic. :wacko:

every time I read one of tosberg's or pirate's posts, that shakespeare quote comes to mind -- "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned". I think the jilted favre ex-lovers are going to celebrate each vikings loss more than each packers win.

Really, Az? I don't know where you come off saying that nonsense. For someone that's been on these forums for a long time I would think you would better than just trying stir up trouble. You're just like Mr. Hamhock.

I've stated before that I do indeed like Favre but I (and the rest of the state) simply got tired of the retirement nonsense from him. When he retired the team moved on as they should have. Even Jaworski said so himself - and he's one of the biggest Favre nut huggers there is. I also stand by my assertion that Favre ALWAYS performs well in the 1st half of the season and then fades when you need him in the 2nd half and/or the playoffs. The last 5 or 6 years of his career have proven that out. Will he be able to overcome that this year with the Vikings? I'm not holding my breath.

The reason we celebrate a Vikings loss so much is because we HATE the Vikings, not Favre. I don't care who is the quarterback on that team. So stop trying to be a dbag.

Edited by tosberg34