[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Olympics

dmarc117

Olympics  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the olympics

• yes(live within 20m of chicago)
    • no(live within 20m of chicago
    • yes(non-chicagoan)
    • no(non-chicagoan)

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine why anyone other than a Chicagoan would want the Olympics. It will end up costing us all money through our taxes, and the only people that will benefit from it will be those in Chicago as they will get some publicly funded infrastructure upgrades.

I can't imagine why anyone other than a Chicagoan would want the Olympics. It will end up costing us all money through our taxes, and the only people that will benefit from it will be those in Chicago as they will get some publicly funded infrastructure upgrades.

im a chicagoan and do not want them here.

Just like with Atlanta, a lot of money will be spent preparing for them, creating jobs and a lot of money will be spent while the Olympics are in town. Look at it as a mini stimulus package, I think it will bode well for chicago, so long as thye organize it properly.

And I really don't have a problem with Hussein going over to Copenhagen to try and bring the Olympics to the US. The money the Olympics will bring in far out weigh the costs of him going over there. Now, if he fails to close the deal, I'm not going to be a supporter of his any longer.

yep..... just check in with Vancouver...... they're in the hole big time for the games this winter.

No one goes to the winter games, I mean who wants to see a bunch of European's dancing around the ice like a bunch of Kansas City fa ggots...

How 'bout an option for "NO, and the obamessiah shouldn't be spending my money to try and reward his CHI buddies with fat contracts" ?

TIA

First two responding carps posts. What a shock. Perch droning on about tax and WV droning on about overbearing government.

In related news, the sun continues to persist in rising in the east......

Just like with Atlanta, a lot of money will be spent preparing for them, creating jobs and a lot of money will be spent while the Olympics are in town. Look at it as a mini stimulus package, I think it will bode well for chicago, so long as thye organize it properly.
I do kind of hope chicago gets it. :wacko:

that said, it seems like a bad political move for obama to be pushing so hard. there seems to be little upside. he comes off looking to the world like he strong-armed the whole thing if chicago gets it, and it looks like a big ol' fail on his part if rio gets it.

I'm all for it. I am not, however, for Obamamessiah to be flying to Europe and pushing for this, much like Az pointed out. That and I think he has better things to be doing with his time than a boondoggle.

That and I think he has better things to be doing with his time than a boondoggle.

As an aside, every single time a President of EITHER party does something that isnt running the country 24-7, it is roundly criticzed.

Anyone remember how badly Bush was castigated for going on vacation to Crawford for weeks when a war was going on? Either way it is unfair.

As an aside, every single time a President of EITHER party does something that isnt running the country 24-7, it is roundly criticzed.

At least it is bipartisan then. And I think these are special times with us being in and coming out of (crossing fingers) the worst recession since the Great Depression.

Your schtik is waaay tired. Seriously.

The Olympics are a financial black hole. They will raise Chicago's profile for a couple weeks and after that Chicago is stuck with MASSIVE bills and venues they don't f'in need.

That said, and even though I won't be living in the area by then (hopefully), the cycling events are supposedly going to be up in Wisconsin somewhere (I've heard that the plan is to use University of Wisconsin facilities in Madison for some stuff) and it would be pretty cool to be able to go and see the top pros.

Question: What was the economy like in 1984?

Question: How did the 1984 Olympics affect Los Angeles?

Question: Is Chicago more similar to Atlanta or Los Angeles?

I really don't know the answers to these questions; well, maybe I have some thoughts on the third question, and some general thoughts on the first two, but wondering what the masses think.

:wacko:

Your schtik is waaay tired. Seriously.

What is wrong with what he said? I thought that in the long run that hosting the Olympics costs more than what it brings in???

I would also like to add that I am for it. Hopefully this will keep the FIBS in their own state instead of trucking there lame asses to Wisconsin all summer long.

Live in Chicago and absolutely want the Olympics. Sure, getting to and from work may be a little more annoying for those few weeks but it's a once in a lifetime opportunity and wouldn't pass it up for the world. My son will be 8 and my other child (due in April!) will be 6. How cool will it be to take them to Olympic events?!! Pretty sweet if you ask me. We find out Friday.