[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Oregon to Reinstate Blount Despite Season-long Suspension?

Donutrun Jellies

ESPN story on Blount return this season despite season-long suspension by Oregon

So Oregon got good press for beating the NCAA to the punch and invoking high standards of behavior for players it is paying tuition for to represent the university. They said they'd achieved the right balance of kindness and consequences by allowing Blount to maintain his free scholarship and to continue to participate with the team while not being able to play in any games for Oregon for the rest of the season.

The hubub about Blount's outburst quickly passed and Oregon has rebounded nicely from the loss and his conduct. So, now, they are considering setting aside the consequences of his violent and embarrassing actions and letting him represent Oregon again.

What do you make of it? Kindness to a kid -- a few games is plenty of punishment for a sucker punch and a few minutes of crazed banter with oposing fans, teammates, and security? Or, lack of organizational stomach for stiff consequences -- as ESPN also reports that Blount's family has brought in a lawyer with experience in big-time lawsuits against the NCAA ... ...

I think it is both. I thought "season-long" was harsh at the time it was handed out and wished, from a school communications point, that they had suspended him indefinitely pending behavior change to give themselves a path to moderation. Here's hoping Blount is a knucklehead who had a bad moment as an undergrad and bounces back nicely after a chance to learn from his mistake ... and not a bad dude destined to tangle with the law repeatedly while squandering second opportunity after fourth opportunity ...

He is not reinstated yet. He has to complete a checklist of things first. acedemics, personel and football related then it has to be approved by the PAC 10. If he does this and it is approved I have no problem with him being reinstated.

Punishment never fit the crime. Maybe the next time that Hout dude decides to talk $hit he'll pay better attention.

Riiiiiight. And if he hadn't been restrained by teammates and coaches, he would have been in the crowd throwing punches. How about practicing a little self restraint. Kid should be allowed to keep his scholarship and finish school, but no way in hell does he ever sniff the field if I'm running the show. He made his bed.......time to live with the consequences.

Riiiiiight. And if he hadn't been restrained by teammates and coaches, he would have been in the crowd throwing punches. How about practicing a little self restraint. Kid should be allowed to keep his scholarship and finish school, but no way in hell does he ever sniff the field if I'm running the show. He made his bed.......time to live with the consequences.

+1

I think it is both. I thought "season-long" was harsh at the time it was handed out and wished, from a school communications point, that they had suspended him indefinitely pending behavior change to give themselves a path to moderation.

:wacko: I heard something about his return coinciding with the USC game?? I don't follow the PAC 10 that closely, could this be true? and if so, nice message to all those striving to become a college player. :D

I'm not certain that I would have suspended him for the entire season, though it would absolutely have crossed my mind. However, I most certainly wouldn't have made my decision as quickly as they did and absolutely wouldn't go back on it once I had.