[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hypenated last names

DMD

Does anyone know why there is a trend towards hyphenated last names for men? There are several in the NFL right now and I do not know if that is limited to athlete-types or it is a societal shift of the younger set. Hyphenated names have existed for women for several decades when they would get married and not want people to know who owned them wanted to maintain their old identity. But now guys are doing it? And some of these athletes are not doing it because of marraige like Jones-Drew who wanted to honor his grandfather or something.

I just wondered if anyone had any insight on it. Is this like earrings that used to be for women but now some men wear them?

Yep, it's definitely a symptom of broken families.

My complete swag at this says SB speaks the truth. I think that if a male child is born to a single mom with a hyphenated last name, then that male child will also have said hyphenated last name.

I've always kind of thought that 75% or higher of chicks with hyphenated names were batpoopy crazy or femnazi evil. So far I haven't been proven wrong many times. I'm not saying that it it's easy for a woman to change her name as there are obviously sacrifices to make with marriage and that is an identity thing. It's just a red flag type deal for me. It's like a guy saying that he wants to get married but he has his girl sign a prenup (assuming he isn't worth millions) and keeps a separate bank account. It just seems like you are "half" in.

One of my objections (my wife and I were debating this about some hyphenated people we know) was what you name the kid. Do you give the kid a hyphen or just the father's name. My wife thought that you would just give the child the father's name but I'm guessing plenty of kids end up with the dash. I just don't know how many kids end up with a hyphen because the mother chose to keep her maiden name or they are from broken families and the parents decided that is the best compromise (assuming the female keeps the kid the majority of the time). I'm guessing it's more broken families than I we'd want to know. The stats are pretty scary.

Since he is a trendy kinda guy.... how soon do we see DMD-L andry here? :wacko:

Edit.... forgot about the filter on that particular name. LOL

I was hoping someone would walk into that one eventually :D

In college I was tsking a class called "Women in Politics" and we had guest speaker. She wrote her name on the board ans had a hyphenated last name. She spoke at length about glass ceilings, chauvinism, the opression of women and ultimately the steps that women have taken to promote equality...

At the end of the lcture she opened it up for questions. I raised my hand and asked her, "Do you feel empowered by having a hyphenated last name"? My professor's mouth hit the floor, lightning bolts shot out of the guest lecturer's eyes and she simply said, "next question". So, I can not give you guys a legit answer as to why women hyphenate their last name.

I can understand the hyphen if a woman has built a name for herself in a particular field. Name recognition can be important in that way.

Otherwise, I don't really get it. I'd think in this day, women who didn't want to be owned or whatever would marry a man enlightened enough not to think that way in the first place. :wacko:

I can understand the hyphen if a woman has built a name for herself in a particular field. Name recognition can be important in that way.

Otherwise, I don't really get it. I'd think in this day, women who didn't want to be owned or whatever would marry a man enlightened enough not to think that way in the first place. :wacko:

I own my wife. I almost made her change her first name as well when we got married.

I own my wife. I almost made her change her first name as well when we got married.

:wacko: We call each other "hon", "sweetie" and "guy that drives a Corvette with a big huge monster thingy" and stuff so I'm not even sure we know each other's real first names anymore. When she does use my real first name, it's never a good thing.

A lady minister from around here got married after she had been at a church for a while. She didn't want to hyphenate her name for her children's sake so they had a contest at the church to come up with a completely new last name for them.