[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Hockey?

AFRO

Considering joining a league for fun, dont really know where to start.

(although I know the season is going strong already)

looking to get a feel for the scoring categories, and roster size and the like..advise on which site runs the best operation? (Y! sports Fox Sports, ESPN..etc)

If there are any fan-hockey junkies please add some 411 for me.

Thanks

For the Huddle on the Puddle league, we use Yahoo, it seems to work OK. CBS Sportsline also has fantasy hockey, as does ESPN, but I haven't had any experience with either one.

There may be some free leagues on Yahoo that are still drafting, so even though the season started, some leagues may delay in getting going so if you're interested I'd check around to see what's available there.

And for what it's worth, there's always the waiting list for our league. Down Goes Frazia is the commish. Check in at our forum (Big John already gave you the link) and throw your name in the hat for next year. There's always a chance we'd have an opening, we were looking at the last minute for an owner this year so it's not unprecedented.

Oh, and our league uses the following scoring categories:

For skaters:

Goals

Assists

+/-

Power play goals

Power play assists

For goalies:

Wins

Save %

Goals against average

A lot of other leagues also use penalty minutes as a category, however we don't use those.

Sorry got busy last couple days...

What type of Roster/Starters do I need to expect?

pretty typical would be 6 forwards (sometimes broken down to 2 wings, 4 centers, or to 2 LW, 2 RW, 2C), 4 defensemen, and 2 goalies.

definitely pay attention to scoring categories before you draft, because a lot of guys' value changes drastically based on that. for example, a defenseman who is valuable in a league that has all power play points in only one category and also counts PIMs could be almost useless in a league that doesn't count PIMs but does count both PPG and PPA -- totally different types of players excel in each type of league.

Do the weeks run like hoops, Monday to Sunday? and I assume you get a weekly total from the Stat slots? with some positive; like Goals, and the goalie(s) with most wins that week. and negative ones like penalty minutes for example? also similar to say fouls in hoops?

Been dragging my feet some, but I think I have narrowed down the search for a league.

Thanks again Fellas

Do the weeks run like hoops, Monday to Sunday? and I assume you get a weekly total from the Stat slots? with some positive; like Goals, and the goalie(s) with most wins that week. and negative ones like penalty minutes for example? also similar to say fouls in hoops?

Been dragging my feet some, but I think I have narrowed down the search for a league.

Thanks again Fellas

In my league, it does. Kinda nice as you only have to set it once a week, but it sucks when you lose a player to injury and then have to play out the week shorthanded. For example, I lost both Marc Savard and Sergei Gonchar this week already so I will be getting zero production from one of my center and defense spots :wacko:

You're correct, too, that the totals accumulate and you want to "win" more of the categories than your oponent. Inverse to real hockey, PIM actually count for us in our league so some of the players I own(ie Burrows, Souray) were selected with that in mind. Make sure to check if PIM are a good or bad thing in your league as that can obviously have a hugh impact on a player's total value.

In my league, it does. Kinda nice as you only have to set it once a week, but it sucks when you lose a player to injury and then have to play out the week shorthanded. For example, I lost both Marc Savard and Sergei Gonchar this week already so I will be getting zero production from one of my center and defense spots :wacko:

You're correct, too, that the totals accumulate and you want to "win" more of the categories than your oponent. Inverse to real hockey, PIM actually count for us in our league so some of the players I own(ie Burrows, Souray) were selected with that in mind. Make sure to check if PIM are a good or bad thing in your league as that can obviously have a hugh impact on a player's total value.

Not all leagues are like this though. You can set it up to allow daily lineup changes. HotP is like this.

Not all leagues are like this though. You can set it up to allow daily lineup changes. HotP is like this.

Correct.

I actually kinda wish ours was set this way as I find I usually check my team every day, anyway. It is nice to not have to worry about every day, though, if you dont want to. Both ways have their pros and cons...