[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Song of Ice and Fire HBO pilot set to start filming this weekend

giggity

To those who have read the books, does the first season end in the same spot as the first book?

Yes, but she loses her hair.

If so, how many books are there?

The 5th in the series, A Dance with Dragons, will be released in July. Book 3, A Storm of Swords, was my favorite.

I'm hoping they up the number of episodes for the second season.

My brother has been talking about this series on HBO a lot. I didnt watch any epoisodes on their regular airing dates. Over the weekend I decided to give the series a shot and started watching on Demand. In the past 3-4 days I have watched the first 8 episodes and I am totally hooked and loving it. I just have to watch 9 and then the finale and I am done. I was afraid to jump in this thread because I didnt want to read any spoilers so I havent read most of the comments. For what its worth, some of my comments and observations on the show. I will probably horribly misspell names etc

spoilers and show details below. Read with caution

One of the best storylines to me is the khaleesi . I like the way she went from being forced to marry drogo against her will to really coming into her role and winning a lot of them over and also bringing them out of the stone age and modifying them a little bit (building ships etc) I also like the supernatural aspect of her. When her hands didnt burn onm the dragon eggs it showed she was the one with Dragon blood and not her brother . If she does have a boy it could be some great warrior alright since her husband is a legendary warrior and she has dragons blood

The imp is really great to watch. What he lacks in size he more than makes up for in the way that he can talk his way out of anything (at least he has through 8 episodes

Ned seems like one of the last men of honor which makes him sort of easy pickens for these scheming other men on the counsel. Its not that Ned is stupid he just still somehwhat follows the old guard and rules .

Geoffrey is a great little actor because he makes you want to slap the crap out of him. I sort of know what happens in the upcoming episode 9 and hope it is mightly avenged

There is so much more to talk about. The wall, the scenery , the great acting. HBO has way more hits than misses with their original series. This is one I will follow to the end for sure. awesome stuff

Edited by whomper

I finished the full first season. I watched all 10 episodes on Demand in about 5-6 days. I loved it. The Finale was a little lackluster but overall the series first season was awesome IMO.

some comments on the Finale

spoilers

If the Khaleese is still going to be recognized as a leader of that tribe they could be a serious force to be reckoned with now that they have dragons on their side. Not sure if that is how it plays out since I havent read the books but its just my inkling as a strict viewer of the show with no book knowledge

I cant wait until geoffrey gets his

Seems like the only reason jamie is still alive is the daughters still being at kings landing. looks like the little one could be on her way out of there but the older sister is pretty entretched.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So I'm about 3/4 the way through Storm of Swords and holy chit, all I can say is George RR Martin why do you torture me.

I'm about 25% through Storm of Swords. This series is amazing and it has largely renewed my joy of reading (along with the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series).

The new book Dance with Dragons (book 5) which just came out is getting great reviews and says it justifies what many say is a lackluster book 4, Feast for Crows.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished watching the series for the 2nd time and will likely watch it a 3rd. Very outstanding work from HBO & I can't wait to start the books. Count me among the many that were pissed to see Ned lose his head and want to beat the crap out of Joffrey. Part of me feels a little pity for Jaime. He does seem truly ashamed of what he is although not enough to change it. I get the feeling that his father & sister are the ones holding his strings. I REALLY wanted to see Ned off him though and I hope that eventually he gets a brutal, but clean death. Either that or his sister back-stabs him. I agree with others though, Tyrian is by far my favorite.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got caught up on the game of thrones movies and thought they were pretty well done. I give it a 8 out of 10 with a perfect score probably being unattainable.

I though Feast for Crows got a bad rap, there are some really compelling storylines and characters, but you have to be willing to embrace new parts of that world.

I think it was just a bad idea to split the books and it had the more interesting characters (except Arya) in the other book. Still solid, but compared to the others just below the very high average. In the prologue of the newest book it sounds like they both join and then go forward a little towards the end of ADWD. Hopefully to the stories will never be split again.

Just bought Dance with Dragons and started reading today, so far it's fantastic.

+1 :tup: Although I find myself mumbling "wherever whores go" and people just look at me funny. :wacko:

I am done with Dance with Dragons and I am actually getting disappointed with the series. It has really slowed to a crawl with the multiple, multiple storylines with characters that I am really not invested enough in to care.

The first few books focused on the introduced Stark family, and you get invested with them . . the drifting further and further away is getting tedious, IMO.

I am done with Dance with Dragons and I am actually getting disappointed with the series. It has really slowed to a crawl with the multiple, multiple storylines with characters that I am really not invested enough in to care.

The first few books focused on the introduced Stark family, and you get invested with them . . the drifting further and further away is getting tedious, IMO.

You read all 5 books in less than 2 months? Jeebus dude I only have 2 kids and I barely have any free time.

I think people that assume Stark was the main family in the story made a mistake. It's not necessarily the book's fault that people thought Ned would live forever or Robb would avenge him once he didn't. It's a 7 book epic story so you can only have so much going on with one family (especially when people die at the clip they do in this series). John snow isn't truly a Stark anyways and the grey characters of Tyrion and even Jaime Lannister show how people change and situations unfold around them. I still have probably 3/4ths of ADWD to go but I'm fine with the way the story has gone so far. The only one that really crawled at spots for me was the 4th book and that was more due to the high percentage of less interesting characters being the entire book. With 2 more books to go I think it'll be interesting to see how it all finishes up.

E2A spoiler tags. Sorry dude.

Edited by Square

You read all 5 books in less than 2 months? Jeebus dude I only have 2 kids and I barely have any free time.

I think people that assume Stark was the main family in the story made a mistake. It's not necessarily the book's fault that people thought Ned would live forever or Robb would avenge him once he didn't. It's a 7 book epic story so you can only have so much going on with one family (especially when people die at the clip they do in this series). John snow isn't truly a Stark anyways and the grey characters of Tyrion and even Jaime Lannister show how people change and situations unfold around them. I still have probably 3/4ths of ADWD to go but I'm fine with the way the story has gone so far. The only one that really crawled at spots for me was the 4th book and that was more due to the high percentage of less interesting characters being the entire book. With 2 more books to go I think it'll be interesting to see how it all finishes up.

Crap dude, use the spoiler feature. :wacko:

Edited by rajncajn

E2A spoiler tags. Sorry dude.

I read very quickly. :wacko: I am actually re-reading them now, and an 1/4 through the second book again.

See what you reference for book 4 is exactly what I am referring to. If you dont memorize the 50 pages of linage and family relationships, then you will have difficulty following along the further you go. To me, I see major characters being killed off, while periphery characters suddenly get elevated. Perhaps it has to do with the point of view storytelling, but when you focus on one person as a point of view storyline, then kill them, and then start following someone else's story, it wanders. Plus, I am sick and effing tired of hearing what everyone had for breakfast every f'king day. can they cut back of the stupid food description s like we are reading Saveur magazine? The storyline with Daenarys is draaaaaaging on . .

spoiler alert in white type above.

I read very quickly. :wacko: I am actually re-reading them now, and an 1/4 through the second book again.

See what you reference for book 4 is exactly what I am referring to. If you dont memorize the 50 pages of linage and family relationships, then you will have difficulty following along the further you go. To me, I see major characters being killed off, while periphery characters suddenly get elevated. Perhaps it has to do with the point of view storytelling, but when you focus on one person as a point of view storyline, then kill them, and then start following someone else's story, it wanders. Plus, I am sick and effing tired of hearing what everyone had for breakfast every f'king day. can they cut back of the stupid food description s like we are reading Saveur magazine? The storyline with Daenarys is draaaaaaging on . .

spoiler alert in white type above.

I think I read somewhere that GRR used to work in TV. I want to say it was the TV version of Beauty and the Beast back in the day. Basically the excerpt said that he was so sick of budgets limiting the story that when he decided to write a book he was going to make everything huge. So the gigantic lands, castles, families, etc. were born a bit out of frustration from a previous life. It could be over the top but I guess I prefer the multiple story lines.

But I agree with you on the food and clothes stuff. I don't know why 3 or 4 paragraphs have to be devoted to what color, material, type of clothing a character is wearing along with the taste of their wine, where it came from, who normally drinks it, and the type of cup it's served in. Yes, I suppose it adds to the imagery but at some point it gets too verbose.

The good news for you is that it will probably be another 4-5 years before you get the next book to see if it picks up the pace any :wacko:

• 3 months later...