[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Song of Ice and Fire HBO pilot set to start filming this weekend

giggity

I had a few questions from the Finale

<P>Did his men give up theon or are they taking him back home ?</P>

I believe that Robb had said that they would offer a reward for Theon that none of his men could resist. I don't think any of them liked him anyway. I presumed the reward was conditional upon the return of Theon to Robb Stark.

<P>Why did the other man from the watch let snow kill him ? </P>

In the previous episode, when they were captured, Qhorin Halfhand told Snow that if were to gain the Wildlings' trust, he would be worth a thousand Men of the Watch. The only way to do that would be if he proved his allegiance to the Wildlings by killing Halfhand. (In the series, though, this seemed overly simplistic -- after all, Snow killed Halfhand because he was defending himself. He didn't start the fight. Was it because killing a fellow Man of the Watch meant that Snow would himself be killed if he ever returned to the Wall? It just seemed like, "Wow, you killed him, we totally trust you now!")

<P>How cool were those zombie like people at the very end ? Do you think they

all let the fat guy from the watch live ?</P>

Weren't those the White Walkers? They seemed different from the ones in the first episode of the series.

<P>Im still confused a little about the greyjoy clan and how that small group

burned down winterfeld before they left. I thought their surrender was

negotiated if they gave up theon. I think Theon is a great actor and when he was

getting angry at the guy playing that horn I was cracking up </P>

I figured they did it out of spite.

I had read that the actor who plays Theon is the brother of singer Lily Allen.

Five are currently out, and there will be seven total. They're about 1,500 pages each and each chapter jumps from one character's perspective to another.

This also means that Game of Thrones should be seven seasons long, and total 70 hours in length when it's all said and done.

I have heard that book three may be split into two seasons. Would give Martin time to write the other books while the show carries on for a few more years.

Concern I have seen posted in other forums is the "Walt Effect" for the younger characters and what happens as the actors outgrow their characters. I know the books span many years, but still a concern is there.

I had a few questions from the Finale

I was wondering that myself. The whole thing seemed planned by the Iron Island crew. I think there's more to it than what we saw, so I'm willing to wait till next season to find out. What I was wondering was what happened to the 500 men outside the gate. Was it even them (you never actually saw them)? Was it all just meant to be a test for Theon? :thinking:

It was the only way to get the wildlings to halfway trust him so that he could get close to Mance Rayder without being treated as an enemy

Yeah, I think they do. They let the guy live in the beginning of the story & for some reason I think they do him as well. The bunch up on the peak though...

<P>Im still confused a little about the greyjoy clan and how that small group

burned down winterfeld before they left. I thought their surrender was

negotiated if they gave up theon. I think Theon is a great actor and when he was

getting angry at the guy playing that horn I was cracking up </P>

See above... That part was cracking me up as well.

One more I'll add:

Why the SNICKERS is Dani wasting her time with a bunch of trinkets when she's got an entire frigging city... with an army... and a fleet... that needs a new ruler? But DUDE, the dragon part was bad ass!

If they do split book 3 into 2 seasons, I think I just reached the cliffhanger point to split them up, a major holy S moment that I definitely did not see coming.

All I can say is now that I am into it, I think you will do yourself a major disservice to wait on reading the books until after the TV shows air.

Smack dab in the middle of the second book...much better than Season 2. Season 1 and the first book was pretty much a mirror image. The second book and Season 2???...not so much. Can not wait to get to Book 3 and get in front of the show.

• 1 month later...

I am about 130 pages in to book 1. Very enjoyable. Funny how when you see a series first on TV then you read a book the actors in the series are the faces you picture when reading the books. Great stuff. Man do I miss Ned

Went right through Book 2 and Book 3...now spending time with folks in Dorne in Book 4.

Dorne is interesting. Sometimes there gets to be so many families and territories it's hard to keep it all straight. Book 5 is better than book 4. I just hope that chubs finishes 6 and 7 before he has a coronary.

I was wondering that myself. The whole thing seemed planned by the Iron Island crew. I think there's more to it than what we saw, so I'm willing to wait till next season to find out. What I was wondering was what happened to the 500 men outside the gate. Was it even them (you never actually saw them)? Was it all just meant to be a test for Theon? :thinking:

In the book it was actually much different. For some reason the Boltons haven't really been included in the movie but they will have to be at some point I think. Not really sure if I should say more.

It was the only way to get the wildlings to halfway trust him so that he could get close to Mance Rayder without being treated as an enemy

Not to be "that guy" but this was explained better in the book. In the book the two were separated and were basically just trying to flee while they kind of knew they were fooked. Quarin Halfhand specifically told Snow that he was going to have to kill him. Quarin made Jon take the oath again before the wildlings caught them. Snow did it to gain trust with the wildlings as Quarin Halfhand was one of the baddest mofos when it came to the Watch's riders. While it seems a big sacrifice for Halfhand, I think he knew that he was dead regardless. He would rather be killed by his own than let the wildlings get him. That along with the chance that Snow could actually gain trust and help to stop the assault on the wall.

Again, that was quite different than the book. In the book the rangers do get chased by some whitewalkers (not an army). Fat sam ends up killing one with one of those dragonbane (dark black glass type looking daggers they found a bag of hidden in the snow) daggers. Fatty lives and is actually kind of likeable overall.

im trying to do about 30-50 pages a day . I really like the way they develop Danaerys in the book and in the show. Im really impressed with that girl. She was forced into a role, and as far as I have seen in the show and ready in the book, she really is a strong character. One person I cant picture from the show is that guy that is loyal to her that pretty much is in love with her . the one that looks like Corbin bernson ? What is his name ?

edit to add. nevermind. I just looked it up. he is Jorah

Edited by whomper

• 1 month later...

I finished book one and I am about 350 pages in to book 2. I absolutely love it. I cant wait to get ahead of the show. He can probably eliminate about 300 pages per book if he didnt describe what everyone was wearing and eating but its a small price to pay for getting to read these masterpieces

I havent read a book in a long time . I read the actual book at home and I read it on the kindle on my phone every day. That is where I am doing damage. I read it on the bus so I get about 1.5 hours a day to have at it. I love it.

I started watching season one again on demand.

Edited by whomper

I finished book one and I am about 350 pages in to book 2. I absolutely love it. I cant wait to get ahead of the show. He can probably eliminate about 300 pages per book if he didnt describe what everyone was wearing and eating but its a small price to pay for getting to read these masterpieces

I havent read a book in a long time . I read the actual book at home and I read it on the kindle on my phone every day. That is where I am doing damage. I read it on the bus so I get about 1.5 hours a day to have at it. I love it.

I started watching season one again on demand.

The books are definitely worth the read. The hard part is when you get done with all 5 and you are stuck in a holding pattern until the last 2 get written. I think I still have all of the books in word & pdf formats if you need some more, drop me a pm.

• 4 weeks later...

I finished book 2 and I am about 100 pages in to book 3. Its just a remarkable story. I havent read a book in years to be honest with you and I just cant wait to get on the bus for my commute to work so I can dive back in to this story.

Like others have said, book 2 had a lot of variations from the show. I absolutely love the show but I like the way that some of the characters are portraited better in the book. Like John Snow for instance.

I think my favorite chapters in the books are the arya chapters. I have to rewatch season 2 soon but for those that read the books and have watched the show, are Reek, meera and Jojen in the show ? I dont remember them . One thing that shocked me right off the bat in book 3 that I wonder if they will follow in the show is

That Davos is still alive. In the book they described a lot of the battle through his eyes. In the show he got zapped by the wildfire right away and that was that

Edited by whomper

Without spoiling anything that you haven't read yet, but yes, Reek has been in the show. You'll likely have to get further along in the book to put the pieces together. I don't recall Meera and Jojen being in the show which is disappointing as they have increased roles in the books.

I don't recall Meera and Jojen being in the show which is disappointing as they have increased roles in the books.

I think (could be wrong) that those two were something that was moved back. In the movie there were some elements of book 2 that were pushed back to book 3 and some elements of book 3 that were brought forward. I believe the intent was to make the series flow a little smoother and make sense to the viewer (or easier on the budget who knows).

I think (could be wrong) that those two were something that was moved back. In the movie there were some elements of book 2 that were pushed back to book 3 and some elements of book 3 that were brought forward. I believe the intent was to make the series flow a little smoother and make sense to the viewer (or easier on the budget who knows).

I suppose it is possible, but they were pretty involved in the whole Bran/Rickon plotline during the siege of Winterfell by Theon. I do see how they could get introduced during season 3 of the series very easily by simply joining with Bran later on.

I suppose it is possible, but they were pretty involved in the whole Bran/Rickon plotline during the siege of Winterfell by Theon. I do see how they could get introduced during season 3 of the series very easily by simply joining with Bran later on.

Found a small explanation after a little googling:

We recently spoke to showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss about some of the creative changes this year and next season’s plans. “[Jojen and Meera Reed] haven’t been written out,” Benioff says. “It’s important to point out that that we have the largest cast on television right now. We introduced dozens of new characters in season two. If you hurl 300 characters at an audience, the story collapses under the weight of too many faces, too many names, and too many subplots. We need to be just as mindful of the audience members who have never read the books as we are of the readers; the series will fail if we only appeal to those who already know the characters. So we try to be parsimonious about how many new roles we introduce to the story and when we introduce them.”

It makes some sense. Even when I read the book there were times it took a bit to put the houses and people in the right order to make in my head. For people who haven't read the books it's probably a bit daunting to keep track of everyone so they have to make some changes.

Speaking of this series, I've been up for about 50 hours now and because I still had to work, I've been chugging mountain dew all day long. So I'm laying here reading this thread and I swear the air quality in my living room just went to orange level with the volume of converted mountain dew carbonation I introduced to the environment. I honestly believe I could have filled a plastic grocery bag. Anyways, I kind of hate the jon snow character.

• 3 weeks later...

Observations from book 3

I never in a million years thought there was anything I could like about Jaime but it was pretty cool when he went back for Brienne

The Arya chapters are awesome. She gets soo close then the bottom drops out

Tyrion Marrying Sansa was completely unexpected. I have never seen a person suffer as much heartache as Sansa

Daenarys is friggin awesome. Love the move when she acuired the unsullied

Jon Snow and the watch- Great stuff when he was among the wildings. He really loves Yygritte deep down. The watch seemed to have dwindled down to nothing after the fight with the wights. Love Sam too

Unbelievable turn of events at the Frey wedding. I knew a hammer was gonna drop at some point but I didnt expect the house to come down. Saddened me but made for an incredible read

I have about 400 pages left

Edited by whomper