[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Song of Ice and Fire HBO pilot set to start filming this weekend

giggity

More from book 3

So happy to see Joffrey dead. Hated that bastard. I was kind of hoping it was more violent though.

Glad to see Sansa escape and littlefinger finally do some good. I just wonder where the Stark girls go now ? They were trying to get to Robb and their mother. Now all the Stark banners are in dissaray. Im guessing maybe the Vale ? I know arya still isnt free

Very interesting twist with Barristan Selmy being with the Khaleesi unexpectedly and then him selling out Jorah for giving Varys info on Dany.

Im still a little unclear on who poisoned Joffrey

This is the most amazing book I have ever read. I like it the best of the 3 . It amazes me how RR has the balls to just wipe out major characters from the book

I will really miss the Catelyn and Robb chapters. I hope some of the new people they will introduce will keep my interest as muich as the old crew that has dyed off has.

More from book 3

Just read the Red Viper vs the Mountain. The excitement and drama in this book is just beyong comparison to me. If the Viper was less dramatic in the fight he would have taken him down

Janos slynt seems to be carrying his Stark grudge to the wall. What a dousch

I have about 150 pages left or so of book 3. I tell you what, if Jon Snow and Tyrion go down also I will be at a loss. While I am engrossed in the drama, I just dont think I can handle losing them 2 in addition to Robb and Catelyn

Sansa gets bitch slapped by the entire 7 kingdoms. Marrying Lysas kid would really suck

I'm close to finishing Book 4. It was designed as a fallout read for what happened in their universe up to that point. But it's hard to read(as expected) when it's following Book 3.

But Book 3 was awesome btw.

Yeah. so far I get lukewarm reports on book 4. I should be starting it by later this week/ early next week

Yeah. so far I get lukewarm reports on book 4. I should be starting it by later this week/ early next week

My advice(lol) would be to do what the reviews on Amazon say. They have an outline on what to read and what to skip. At first I was thinking, "i never skip chapters in books, i'm not doing that." But I was spoiled to the future of one character, so I can see why people were saying to skip certain spots.

The chapters I am reading are great. The ones I've been skipping, I have skimmed and read the last page.

Edited by WaterMan

More from book 3

So happy to see Joffrey dead. Hated that bastard. I was kind of hoping it was more violent though.

Glad to see Sansa escape and littlefinger finally do some good. I just wonder where the Stark girls go now ? They were trying to get to Robb and their mother. Now all the Stark banners are in dissaray. Im guessing maybe the Vale ? I know arya still isnt free

Very interesting twist with Barristan Selmy being with the Khaleesi unexpectedly and then him selling out Jorah for giving Varys info on Dany.

Im still a little unclear on who poisoned Joffrey

This is the most amazing book I have ever read. I like it the best of the 3 . It amazes me how RR has the balls to just wipe out major characters from the book

I will really miss the Catelyn and Robb chapters. I hope some of the new people they will introduce will keep my interest as muich as the old crew that has dyed off has.

Yeah I've read some fantasy before and I've never seen other authors do what Martin has.

I began reading the books during season one and agree with Square. Im worried Martin drops dead before he finishes book 7. I couldn't imagine being a fan from the start and waiting 3-5 years between books.

The only good thing we got going for us is the HBO train riding down the tracks of one book per season. I'd assume if they keep this up there is enough $$$ in it for him to sit his chubby az down and get to work instead of visiting every freaking con on the planet and working on things that are 1/10th as popular as Song of Ice and Fire.

• 3 weeks later...

I am about 325 pages in to book 4 . So far I am pretty bored with it. There are a few interesting things that seem to be developing but im pretty much a 3rd of the way through and havent really been impressed

I think he killed off way too much personality in book 3. As exciting as it was and as awesome as it was, he wiped out a ton of characters that I really loved as those people were the story lines that I really enjoyed

Book 4. I am not incredibly interested in the greyjoys. Maybe they will provide some action down the line but so far meh

Dorne- Those snake sisters seem like they could pan out for some enjoyment

Brienne- a lot of brienne. I like her but she is getting a lot of press dedicated to her

No Daenerys ? are you kidding me ?? Does she show up at all in book 4 ?

I am about 325 pages in to book 4 . So far I am pretty bored with it. There are a few interesting things that seem to be developing but im pretty much a 3rd of the way through and havent really been impressed

I think he killed off way too much personality in book 3. As exciting as it was and as awesome as it was, he wiped out a ton of characters that I really loved as those people were the story lines that I really enjoyed

Book 4. I am not incredibly interested in the greyjoys. Maybe they will provide some action down the line but so far meh

Dorne- Those snake sisters seem like they could pan out for some enjoyment

Brienne- a lot of brienne. I like her but she is getting a lot of press dedicated to her

No Daenerys ? are you kidding me ?? Does she show up at all in book 4 ?

This will help you out, as it is answered at the end of the book.

Book 4 and 5 were originally one extremely long book, as he just had so much story that he wanted to tell. Rather than break it up and cover a little of each storyline in each book, they broke it up by character storyline, so that book 4 is the point of view of X number of charactersm and then book 5 is the point of view of the other characters. Yes, book 4 is a little slow, but I felt it laid a foundation for a ton of where the story is going, and then once I got through book 5 and saw some of the overlaps and interactions between the chracters from the two books it clicked a bit more.

• 4 weeks later...

I finished book 4 this morning. I was pretty dissapointed with it. Coming off book 3 , which was the greatest book I have ever read, this was a major letdown. Even if I dont compare it to the other 3 it was justy boring IMO. I understand why he did what he did as he explained it at the end of the book but it was still a 975 page yawner . I came to this book series late so they were all out already. If I actually had to wait for this and then read it it would have been even more of a bummer.

Catelyn coming back as a leader of the outlaws was about the most exciting thing I came away with

The Brienne chapters were mildly entertaining. I am not sure if she is still alive though

The Arya chapters were a hugh dissapointment to me. She was one of my favorite characters

Cersei/Margery Meh

I loaded book 5 to the kindle this morning. I like the characters that I assume will be highlighted in that book so I hope it gets back on track for me.

Edited by whomper

I finished book 4 this morning. I was pretty dissapointed with it. Coming off book 3 , which was the greatest book I have ever read, this was a major letdown. Even if I dont compare it to the other 3 it was justy boring IMO. I understand why he did what he did as he explained it at the end of the book but it was still a 975 page yawner . I came to this book series late so they were all out already. If I actually had to wait for this and then read it it would have been even more of a bummer.

Catelyn coming back as a leader of the outlaws was about the most exciting thing I came away with

The Brienne chapters were mildly entertaining. I am not sure if she is still alive though

The Arya chapters were a hugh dissapointment to me. She was one of my favorite characters

Cersei/Margery Meh

I loaded book 5 to the kindle this morning. I like the characters that I assume will be highlighted in that book so I hope it gets back on track for me.

I don't think book 5 is as good as 3, but I thought it was better than 4. I consider 4 to be a mistake in strategy and one that he probably wouldn't do again if he could go back. I've seen quotes from GRRM that say about as much. Things to the effect of "all the characters will be shivering together in the winter." He just never should have tried to split the characters into two different books, it f-ed with the timeline, and made things much worse than they needed to be. I enjoyed 5 overall, but I read it after a drought of finishing the others and waiting for it to come. There are only two books left and I hope that fat bastard (with all due respect to GRRM's and his fatness) stays alive long enough (or god forbid works quick enough) to finish the story before he chokes on some pepperidge farm.