[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which college football teams genuinely have a shot at a national title

muck

Six undefeated teams:

Florida

Texas

Alabama

TCU

Cincinnati

Boise State

It seems to me that:

* Florida and Alabama will play each other and the loser will (probably) get knocked out of the national title game.

* TCU should (probably) win out, and if Texas loses the Big 12 conference championship, it would be in the national title game (and deservedly so). And, yes, I am an alum of TCU.

* Cincinnati and Boise State have zero chance of playing in the national title game; TCU would have to lose once AND the other three would have to lose twice before either team got in the national title game.

Thoughts?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you might want to try the college football forum, seems like a good place for a ? like this

it is already decided muck - Bama/FLa winner VS Texas - as close to etched in stone as it gets in sports, unfortunately

The Big north is the worst group of 6 teams I have ever seen. Unfortunately the Big 12 sucks this year, and Texas played their usual cupcake non conference slate- they are all but assured to play the SEC champ

Edited by wildcat2334

Curious why you feel that Cincinnati has no chance to play for the title. Like others, I believe the FLA/ALA winner will play Texas, but why does TCU have a better chance than Cincinanti to get a crack at the title? Cincinnati plays two Top 25 teams the last three weeks of the season; West Virginia tonight and Pitt on 12/5. If/when they win out they will pass TCU.

If CIN wins out, I don't think they'd pass TCU if TCU beats #16 Utah tomorrow.

yes they would - much stronger case for Cincy, better SOS in the BEeast and they would have better wins.

Don't forget they got a W @Oregon State early in the year- very impressive W, OSU is playing lights out now and a W vs Fresno -

a big IF, but if Cincy wins out they jump TCU without a doubt

Edited by wildcat2334

There was an article (sorry, couldn't find it) that was at ESPN that was arguing that TCU is currently the #2 team in the country based on something called FEI (???) and GE (game efficiency?)... :wacko:

I haven't watched a college game all year, so I really know nothing about any of this.

Maybe:

FL loses to South Carolina or Florida State (looking ahead to ALA in a big competitive rivalry) ... OR ... ALA loses to Mississippi St. or Auburn (looking ahead to FL in a big competitive rivalry)

Then, which ever one has a loss loses to the other in the SEC title game

TX loses to either Kansas (a streaky team with lots of seniors), Texas A&M (big rivalry game looking ahead to the Big 12 title game ... or ... in the Big 12 title game

TCU wins out

CIN wins out

BCS mayhem ensues as TCU and CIN play for the national title!

Texas should cake walk to the national title game. Alabama still has a tricky game vs Auburn. Florida's toughest match up left is this week at South Carolina which isn't saying much, but like I've said before, I wouldn't be stunned if they lost, surprised maybe, but not completely stunned. The one thing Cincinnati has going for them, is they play the meat of their Big East schedule now. WVU who they are tied with 14-14 presently, Illinois, and there toughest test, At Pitt, who is playing very well. It is what it is for TCU, but they probably have the best shot out of any non BCS school out there, ever to get to the big game. There worst nightmare would be if Alabama lost to Auburn, and came back and beat Florida the next week, (providing Cincy lost) . 1 Loss SEC Champion over undefeated TCU, maybe not over undefeated Cincy, because it would depend how much Alabama would get punished for losing to Auburn. Boise has no shot, unless maybe all 3 of the big 3 lose between now and the championship games. But I think undefeated Cincy and undefeated TCU have a better body of work than Boise State. Boise State may have the most impressive single win, but the rest of their schedule is cake.

TX will win out and take one side of the NCG

Cincy might lose 2x before the season ends and will not be there

Boise should end up undefeated, but will not get to the big game

TCU will run the table and get snubbed by a one lose SEC team or and unbeaten SEC team gets the other side of the game

Bama might lose to Auburn, I think they will, would then need to beat FLA to have an outside shot

FLA will go to the SEC championship game without a loss and most likely win that game...........therfore:

TX vs. Fla

Until they change to a playoff system I don't really care. The BCS and all the good 'ol boy BS is a joke.

As a Bama fan, I completely agree with this statement. At least the SEC has a playoff for their champion.

Edited by Lady.hawke

TX will win out and take one side of the NCG

Cincy might lose 2x before the season ends and will not be there

Boise should end up undefeated, but will not get to the big game

TCU will run the table and get snubbed by a one lose SEC team or and unbeaten SEC team gets the other side of the game

Bama might lose to Auburn, I think they will, would then need to beat FLA to have an outside shot

FLA will go to the SEC championship game without a loss and most likely win that game...........therfore:

TX vs. Fla

You might be right but TCU would beat both Texas and Florida ........ handily. :wacko:

You might be right but TCU would beat both Texas and Florida ........ handily. :wacko:

That they are, I had them in my top 7 at year's end in my preseason challenge I threw out. Shame nobody else put their picks in, it would have been fun to see who had the best picks. I also had Cal, SC and OU in the top 7, that will be a little further down.

Alot must happpen to see if TCU would "handily" beat either team.

TCU and Boise could play with any of the only 3 teams that have a chance, the problemis they don't have a chance.

Texas, Florida and Alabama and that's it. Anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves. In looking at Texas' schedule, Baylor was the only team I though would remortely have a chance to knock them off. I still think they are pretenders but they are starting to be able to run which would make them legit. Alabama bores me and I don't think they can throw the ball well enough. Florida is the most balanced but they are cosmically not alligned, somethingis missing. My prediction in a totally underwhelming game, Florida over Texas.

If santa is checking in give me TCU and Boise State. That would be a fun game to watch.

I've watched 3 TCU games this year, and they are definitely for real. I'm a Texas fan, but honestly I think TCU could probably beat them, their defense is just that good. It would be hilarious to have a TCU / Alabama NC game. It would go down in history as the most boring NC game ever. They wouldn't even have to play the game, they could just go directly to overtime, and see which kicker misses first to determine who the winner is.

If CIN loses to PIT, both TX and TCU will move up in the computers and all of the pollsters who have CIN ahead of TCU will now no longer have it that way. The only thing to happen if CIN loses to PIT is that TCU gets closer to TX's spot at #3, but probably doesn't overtake them.

The only way either TCU or CIN get into the NC game is if (i) a one-loss SEC team wins the SEC title game ... OR ... (ii) TX loses one game between now and the end of the pre-bowl game season ... AND ... TCU and CIN win out.

While I'd love it if TCU was in the game, anything besides the same-'ol-same-'ol would be nice.

Edited by muck

You are kidding? :wacko:

SEC risk their top team every year. Remember what happen to Tennessee?

Just showed me that Tennessee wasn't that great to begin with, plus, even you've admitted, LSU has benefitted twice from getting the extra game. It works favorablly more often than not, and if you lose, then that's your own damn fault. Vols in 01 simply weren't ready for primetime, pure and simple. And take your pick. Nebraska, Oregon, Colorado, Tennessee... on and on we go, that Miami team destroys them all.

You are kidding? :wacko:

SEC risk their top team every year. Remember what happen to Tennessee?

As often as the SEC Championship game has cost the SEC a team in the NC game, it's allowed an SEC team to leap-frog another by virtue of a late high-profile win. The notion that conferences with title games are at a disadvantage in terms of getting to the big dance has long been proven false. It is, at worse, an net-zero situation.