[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which college football teams genuinely have a shot at a national title

muck

SEC needs to lose a BCS NC game would be a start.

Are you trying to say that the SEC's non-participation in a few of NC games in the last decade is a farce and that they should have automatically had a team entered, regardless of the quality of teams outside the SEC ... AND ... that they would have won all of the previous NC games where they were non-participants?

The counter-factual argument nearly always leads to speculation and can result in irrationality.

As an aside, the argument you are making (i.e., "the SEC is the default choice for having the best team in the land because it hasn't lost a NC title game it's been involved in") is pretty much the same argument that thousands of people made when buying real estate three years ago ("We're buying this stuff today because it went up yesterday and we will sell it tomorrow at a higher price than we paid today and we will keep buying and selling until the prices drop.) And we see how well that sort of thinking has gone... :wacko:

In other words, your idea is specious at best.

ETA - The Mountain West Conference hasn't lost a NC title game either. FWIW.

Edited by muck

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think possibly your Pac10 background (Rose Bowl) much like Brian's Big 10 background (Rose Bowl) is why you two feel this Texas vs USC was the best BCS NC game ever to determine a true national champion.

If you look at the game itself, wouldn't you agree Texas did not dominate USC? In fact, that game could have gone either way. So I'm not a 100% certain Texas was the best team that season.

Now the game that sticks out for me in regard to the best buildup and perfomance in a BCS NC game was SEC Florida huge win over Ohio State in 2007. Trust me no one question who the better team was in that game. And if you recall after that game many experts felt the only team who could have beaten Florida that night was another SEC team called LSU who drummed their BCS opponent. :wacko:

The point I'm making is that the SEC Champion until proven otherwise should have an automatic spot in the BCS NC game.

Well personally, I liked the OSU-Miami NC better, and that had a backdrop of Tempe, AZ. And I enjoyed the Texas-USC game because it was the last time we had 2 teams who could legit claim to be all-time great. Had nothing to do with the fact that it was at the Rose Bowl. The game coulda been in the HHH Metrodome in my backyard, and it still woulda been an all time classic.

I'm not even gonna dignify your comments about the SEC should get automatic berth to the BCS NC.

If the SEC was so great how come 2 teams ended up undefeated? If the SEC was such a tough out every week one or both of those teams should theoretically have a loss.

Just sayin.

Because the SEC is tough but the Gators and the Tide are super-extra-scary-tough teams. The Gators defense would probably shut down the Saints offense.

If the SEC was so great how come 2 teams ended up undefeated? If the SEC was such a tough out every week one or both of those teams should theoretically have a loss.

Just sayin.

I can guran effing tee you they aren't coming thru a full Pac 10 slate undefeated this year

just sayin

Are you trying to say that the SEC's non-participation in a few of NC games in the last decade is a farce and that they should have automatically had a team entered, regardless of the quality of teams outside the SEC ... AND ... that they would have won all of the previous NC games where they were non-participants?

New Orleans would have 2 losses if they played in the SEC.

Indy would have 3.